(单词翻译:单击)
Welcome to English @ the Movies, where we teach you American English heard at the movies.
欢迎来到《看电影学英语》节目,我们在这里教授你在电影中听到的美式英语。
Our saying today is "leaving to chance" from the movie "Last Word".
我们今天要学习的表达是leaving to chance,出自电影《最后的话》。
The film is about a successful woman who wants to control everything.
该电影讲述了一位想要掌控一切的成功女性的故事。
Here, she speaks to the reporter who will write about her after she dies.
在这一幕中,她在和一位会为她撰写讣告的记者谈话。
Listen for the phrase "leaving to chance".
留意听一下leaving to chance这个表达。
Ms. Sherman, the thought of leaving my obituary to chance is completely unreasonable to me.
谢尔曼女士,我完全不能接受自己的讣告被人随便乱写。
Well, I am the obituary writer. So, when the time comes, I will be writing your obituary.
我是专门给人写讣告的。 所以当你寿终正寝的时候,我自然会写你的讣告。
I want you to write it now. Huh.
我要你现在就给我写。 嗯。
Here's the names of a few hundreds people.
这份名单上有几百个人。
So what do you think "leaving to chance" means?
那么你认为“leaving to chance”是什么意思呢?
Is it: giving away money or not planning for something?
是捐钱还是对某事没有计划?
Listen again, did you have the right answer?
再听一遍,你答对了吗?
Ms. Sherman, the thought of leaving my obituary to chance is completely unreasonable to me.
谢尔曼女士,我完全不能接受自己的讣告被人随便乱写。
Well, I am the obituary writer. So, when the time comes, I will be writing your obituary.
我是专门给人写讣告的。所以当你寿终正寝的时候,我自然会写你的讣告。
I want you to write it now. Huh.
我要你现在就给我写。嗯。
"Leaving to chance" means "not planning for something".
Leaving to chance的意思是“对某事没有计划”。
Here, "chance" means "luck", an unpredictable force that can be good or bad.
在这个表达中,chance意为运气,也就是一种可好可坏的不可控力。
Almost anything can be left to chance.
几乎任何事情都可以凭运气。
In this film, the woman does not want to leave her obituary to chance.
在这部影片中,该女士不想让自己的讣告内容听天由命。
An obituary is a news report about the life of someone who has died.
讣告是一种有关某人去世的新闻报道文体。
This character wants to control her public image, even after she is dead.
这位女士想要把控自己的公众形象,甚至在死后也要如此。
And that is English @ the Movies. I'm Kelly Jean Kelly.
以上就是今天的《看电影学英语》,我是凯利·珍·凯利。