(单词翻译:单击)
Welcome to English in a Minute.
欢迎收听《一分钟英语》
Let's say you buy something.
来讨论一下购物的问题
And when you pay for it, you say: This costs me an arm and a leg!
当你买某件东西时,你说“这花掉了我的一条腿和一只胳膊!”(This costs me an arm and a leg!)
Do you have to give them your arm and your leg? I hope not.
你是必须要给一只胳膊和一条腿么?我希望不是真的
Let's listen to an American English conversation to see if we can find out what this means.
让我们来听听下面这段美式英语对话,看看能否明白它真正的意思
Did you buy that new computer?
你买那台新电脑了么?
Yeah, I did. And it cost way more than I expected it to.
是的,买了
How much?
多少钱?
Let me just tell you it costs an arm and a leg!
它花掉了我一只胳膊和一条腿
When you say in American English that something costs an arm and a leg, it means that the price is very, very high.
当你用美式英语说某物花掉了一只胳膊和一条腿时(something costs an arm and a leg),意思是价格非常、非常高
If you use this phrase, everyone in the United State will understand you.
如果你在美国使用这条短语,大家都会明白你的意思
But this is an informal phrase, so don't use it in a business setting.
但是这是个非正式场合用语,所以不要在商务环境下用使用这个短语
And that's English in a Minute.
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》