五个桔核(MP3+中英字幕) 第13期:神秘来信(7)
日期:2018-06-06 14:01

(单词翻译:单击)

On the third day after the coming of the letter my father went from home to visit an old friend of his, Major Freebody,
接到来信以后的第三天,我父亲离家去看望他的一位老朋友,弗里博迪少校。
who is in command of one of the forts upon Portsdown Hill.
他现在是朴次当山一处堡垒的指挥官。
I was glad that he should go, for it seemed to me that he was farther from danger when he was away from home.
我为他的出访而感到高兴,在我看来,仿佛他离开了家倒可避开危险。
In that, however, I was in error.
可是我想错了。
Upon the second day of his absence I received a telegram from the major, imploring me to come at once.
他出门的第二天,我接到少校拍来一封电报,要我立即赶赴他那里。
My father had fallen over one of the deep chalk-pits which abound in the neighbourhood,
我父亲摔在一个很深的白垩矿坑里,这种矿坑在这附近地区是很多的。
and was lying senseless, with a shattered skull.
他摔碎了头骨,躺在里边不省人事。
I hurried to him, but he passed away without having ever recovered his consciousness.
我急切地跑去看他,可是他再也没有恢复知觉,从此与世长辞了。

福尔摩斯探案集 五个桔核

He had, as it appears, been returning from Fareham in the twilight, and as the country was unknown to him,
显而易见,他是在黄昏前从费尔哈姆回家,由于乡间道路不熟,
and the chalk-pit unfenced, the jury had no hesitation in bringing in a verdict of 'death from accidental causes.'
白垩坑又无栏杆遮挡,验尸官便毫不迟疑地作出了'由于意外致死'的判断。
Carefully as I examined every fact connected with his death,
我审慎地检查了每一与他死因有所关联的事情,
I was unable to find anything which could suggest the idea of murder.
但是没有发现任何含有谋杀意图的事实。
There were no signs of violence, no footmarks, no robbery, no record of strangers having been seen upon the roads.
现场没有暴力行动的迹象,没有脚印,没有发生抢劫,也没有关于看见路上有陌生人出现的记录。
And yet I need not tell you that my mind was far from at ease,
可是我不说您也知道,我的心情是非常不平静的。
and that I was well-nigh certain that some foul plot had been woven round him.
我几乎可以确定:一定有人在他的周围策划了某种卑鄙的阴谋。

分享到
重点单词
  • consciousnessn. 意识,知觉,自觉,觉悟
  • commandn. 命令,指挥,控制 v. 命令,指挥,支配 n. [
  • skulln. 头骨,骷髅头 vt. 击打头部
  • unknownadj. 未知的,不出名的
  • juryn. 陪审团,评委会 adj. 临时用的 vt. 挑选
  • telegramn. 电报 vt. 向 ... 发电报
  • violencen. 暴力,猛烈,强暴,暴行
  • plotn. 阴谋,情节,图,(小块)土地, v. 绘图,密谋,
  • senselessadj. 无感觉的,无意识的,不省人事的
  • certainadj. 确定的,必然的,特定的 pron. 某几个,某