(单词翻译:单击)
I've visited over 125 countries, and I've been to all seven continents of the world, Old Town, Jerusalem, Yet I've seen nothing.
我去过125个国家,各大洲都已去过,耶路撒冷老城,但我什么也没看到 。
My name's Tony Giles. I'm totally blind, severely deaf, yet, I travel the world alone.
我叫托尼·盖尔斯 。我全盲,耳朵也严重失聪,但我独自环游了世界 。
I come from Southwest England. Ah, the sound of the sea. I was born with a rare eye condition.
我来自英格兰西南部 。啊,海的声音 。我出生时眼睛就患了奇疾 。
I could see shapes and shadows, I was very light-sensitive as a child,
小时候,我可以看到形状和阴影,对光也非常敏感,
but by the time I was eight, nine, my light sensitivity would go.
但到了八九岁的时候,我对光的敏感消失了 。
When I was 16, I got the opportunity to go to the States,
16岁时我有了一个机会去美国,
and I was all excited, and that's what I really loved: I loved the adventure and the unknown.
我特别兴奋,因为这才是我的热爱:我喜欢冒险和未知 。
I thought, “Wow, I'm gonna travel for the rest of my life and see if I can visit every country in the world."
当时我就想,“哇,我要旅行一辈子,看看我能不能每个国家都去看一看 。”
So I thought I needed to take photos, so I’ve got actual evidence that I've been there.
所以,我就想到,我需要拍照啊,作为我去过那些地方的证据 。
And I also think it's quite fun, you know, the general public to see a blind person taking photos, that must look like a mess with their heads.
而且我觉得这样也很好玩儿,普通人看到一个盲人在拍照,肯定会让他们很吃惊 。
I find that quite interesting.
我觉得这样挺有趣的 。
People think, “How can you travel when you're blind and how can you visit all these countries?"
人们会想,“你看不见还怎么旅行的,你怎么去那些国家的?”
I got a series of different maps on my walls, so I've got an idea of what each country I'm visiting looks like.
我的墙上有各种各样的地图,所以我对我去的每个国家的样子还是有个印象的 。
Beirut, it's on the coast.
贝鲁特,在海边 。
I research the country I visit, so I get on the Internet.
我会去研究我去的这个国家,我会上网查资料 。
One British pound equals? Lebanese 2111
一英镑相当于……2111黎巴嫩镑
And then I look up each city and what I want to visit.
然后我会去了解那个国家的每个城市,确定我想要去的地方 。
Is it museums or churches or mosques.
不管是博物馆还是教堂或者清真寺
I try to find places with audio guides.
我会尽量去那些有语音导游的地方 。
And in terms of visits, obviously, as a blind person, I'm not going to go and see a country.
就游览而言,显然,作为一个盲人,我是看不到一个国家的样子的 。
I'm not interested in looking at the beautiful vistas.
我对美丽的风景不感兴趣 。
So I need to walk places, I need to feel the atmosphere, touch things.
我需要的是去走过那些地方,我需要感受那里的氛围,去触摸那里的东西 。
I rely on people everywhere I go to help me.
每到一个地方我都需要大家的帮助 。
A lot of countries I visit, obviously, English isn't their first language.
显然,我去过的很多国家,英语都不是他们的第一语言 。
So, for instance, I'll ask the, the staff to write down in Arabic the places I want to go.
所以,我会叫工作人员帮忙用阿拉伯语写下我想去的地方 。
I meet people on the street, and they give me directions or they help me to go to places.
在街上我也会碰到一些人给我指路或者带路 。
People ask me,“Are all the places you've been the same because you can't see them?"
人们问我:“你去过的所有地方是不是都一样,因为你看不到它们?”
And every city, every town, every country is different.
其实每个大城市,每个小城镇,每个国家都不一样 。
The thing I love about it most is moving and actually getting from one place to another, that challenge.
我最喜欢是行走,是脚踏实地地从一个地方去到另一个地方,是挑战 。
So once you actually sort of reach, reach the destination or the place you're looking for, that's a huge achievement.
一旦你达到目的地,或去到了你想去的地方,那真的是巨大的成就 。
Yeah, that's why I do it.
没错,这就是我这样做的原因 。
That's-That's the ultimate reason for my travels, really.
这就是- 就是我旅行的最终理由 。