(单词翻译:单击)
You've probably been around the Internet long enough
你可能一直泡在上网,
to have stumbled upon one of those so-called "oddly satisfying" videos.
刚好发现了所谓的新奇的满足视频 。
They're these ten-minute-long clips of some seriously weird stuff,
这些视频是十分钟长的片段,里面是些相当奇怪的内容,
like foam being cut into pieces, hands drawing perfect spirals, or machines slicing cheese.
比如,泡沫被切割成碎片、手画完美的螺旋或机器切奶酪 。
If you've never done it, you might be thinking there's no way you'd watch ten minutes of that,
如果你从来没看过,可能会觉得自己不可能看10分钟的这种视频,
but these videos have millions of views,
但是它们有数百万的点击量,
and once you start watching them, you might find it kinda hard to stop.
而且你一旦开始看,就可能很难停止 。
They're weirdly relaxing, and our brains love something about them.
它们出奇得轻松,我们的大脑会喜欢它们 。
We're still waiting for someone to publish a peer-reviewed study on oddly satisfying videos.
我们还在等待有人发布一个经过同行评审的满意视频 。
But in the meantime, there are a few connected ideas in psychology that might explain what's going on.
但与此同时,心理学上也有一些相关观点可以解释这是怎么回事 。
One possibility is that watching these videos could be similar to mindfulness or flow.
一种可能性是观看这些视频可能类似于正念或心流 。
You might've heard about mindfulness,
你们可能听说过正念,
which involves focusing on the present moment and acknowledging and accepting your thoughts and feelings.
它包括关注当下,承认并接受你的想法和感受 。
It's sometimes involved in meditation or yoga.
它有时也涉及冥想或瑜伽 。
Flow is a little different, it's a state of creative concentration that happens when an activity is at just the right level of difficulty.
心流有点儿不同,它是一种全身心投入的状态,当一项活动处于合适的难度水平时就会发生 。
You feel in control of your actions, lose sense of time,
你感觉自己控制了行为,失去了时间感,
and enjoy what you're working on even if you aren't accomplishing a goal.
并且享受你正在做的事情,即使你没有完成一个目标 。
It's like an artist working on a painting or a writer caught up in their story
这就像一位艺术家专心创作一幅画或者一位作家沉浸于他的故事中,
or a video blogger editing until late at night.
或者一个视频博主编辑到深夜 。
It's one of my favorite things about making videos.
这是我制作视频最喜欢的的方法之一 。
These videos might do something similar,
这些视频可能也有类似效果,
because they grab our attention and make us lose our sense of time and the outside world.
因为它们吸引我们的注意力,让我们失去时间感,忽略外部世界 。
It's a great feeling.
这种感觉很棒 。
It's not a perfect comparison, though,
不过,这并不是一个完美对比,
because mindfulness and flow are both characterized by deliberate action and control on our part,
因为正念和心流都是通过有意识的行动和控制来表现的,
and watching these videos is pretty passive.
而看这些视频很被动 。
So some psychologists think there's another explanation:
所以一些心理学家认为还有另一种解释:
Watching a project get completed in these videos, like seeing someone perfectly frost a cake,
我们看到这些视频中的一个项目完成时,比如看到某人完美的为蛋糕撒霜糖,
causes the same reaction in your brain as completing a goal in real life.
它在你大脑中引发的反应与你在现实生活中实现一个目标的反应相同 。
When you finish a task, your brain releases dopamine,
你结束一个任务时,大脑会释放多巴胺,
a chemical that plays an important role in your brain's reward and pleasure circuits.
它是一种化学物质,在你大脑的奖励和快感回路中具有重要作用 。
In other words, getting stuff done literally feels good.
换句话说,把事情完成让人感觉良好 。
And research also suggests that leaving things unfinished kinda drives us nuts.
研究还表明,没有完成的事情会让我们抓狂 。
In a well-known study from 1927, 32 participants were given around 20 simple tasks,
在1927年的一项著名研究中,32名参与者被分配了20个简单任务,
like solving puzzles and making figures out of clay.
比如填字谜,用粘土做图形 。
They were allowed to finish some of the tasks, but others they had to abandon halfway through.
他们都要完成一些任务,但必须中途放弃其他任务 。
After they'd worked on everything, they were asked to list off the tasks they'd been given.
他们在完成所有任务后,被要求列出分配给自己的任务 。
On average, they were almost twice as likely to remember something if they hadn't been allowed to finish it.
平均而言,他们记得的没被允许完成的任务数量几乎是允许完成任务数量的两倍 。
This idea that it's harder to forget about things we haven't finished,
这个想法是指我们更难忘记没有完成的事情,
eventually became known as the Zeigarnik effect, named after the researcher who did these studies.
它最终成为了“蔡格尼克效应”,后者是以做这些研究的研究人员的名字命名的 。
And it's been replicated in other research since then.
从那时起,它就被复制到了其他研究中 。
So you could argue that oddly satisfying videos have to do with getting something just right or with finishing a task.
所以你可能会说,新奇的满意视频与合适的活动或者完成一项任务有关 。
Stopping in the middle of one will bother us all day,
事情做一半会让我们全天烦躁,
that's why it's so frustrating when a gif ends too soon.
这就是为什么一个gif动画结束得太快时,会令人非常沮丧 。
But watching something to the end triggers our sense of completion…
但是,看某样东西最终会触发我们如释重负的感觉,
even though we're definitely not checking things off our to-do list as we watch them.
即使我们在看它时,绝对不会检查我们的任务清单 。
That explanation doesn't work for all satisfying videos, though.
不过,这一解释并不适用于所有令人满意的视频 。
Some of them are pretty random, like glass melting or things exploding.
有些视频很随机,比如玻璃熔化或爆炸 。
So another possibility is that there's something more fundamental about the videos that we like.
因此,另一种可能性是我们喜欢的视频有一些更基本的东西 。
They tend to be geometric and colorful, so maybe those colors and shapes are appealing to us.
它们更具有几何学和色彩,也许这些颜色和形状对我们很有吸引力 。
Psychologists still aren't sure which kinds of stimuli our brains prefer,
心理学家仍然不确定我们的大脑更喜欢哪种刺激,
or if there's even a universal set of preferences,
或者大脑是否有一套普遍偏好,
but we do know there are some features we tend to like better than others.
但是我们知道我们更喜欢某些特征 。
No one knows exactly why, but there's a long history of research showing that
没有人知道确切原因,但漫长的研究历史证明,
we prefer curved lines and circles to angled lines and polygons.
与有角的线条和多边形相比,我们更喜欢弯曲的线条和圆形 。
And we definitely like symmetry.
我们肯定喜欢对称 。
We find it super attractive and use it to guesstimate a potential partner's ability to reproduce.
我们发现它非常有吸引力,并利用它来猜测潜在伴侣的繁殖能力 。
We're also quick to spot it, and studies have shown we're better at remembering symmetrical objects and designs.
我们也很快发现,研究表明我们更擅长记住对称的物体和设计 。
We're really into patterns, too.
我们也真得喜欢模式 。
Some researchers argue that extreme pattern recognition is one of the defining capabilities of our brains,
一些研究人员认为,极端模式识别是我们大脑的定义能力之一,
and that it developed as our brains evolved.
而且它随我们大脑的进化而发展 。
So maybe the kinds of symmetrical, repetitive motions in oddly satisfying videos are the patterns our brains like.
所以,也许在令人称奇的视频中,对称重复的动作是我们大脑的模式 。
But again, we don't know for sure.
但是再说一次,我们还不确定 。
None of these ideas are perfect explanations,
这些想法都不是完美的解释,
they're just things we know about our brains that could be involved somehow.
它们只是我们知道的可能涉及大脑的知识 。
All we know for sure is that millions of people agree that
我们所知道的是,数百万人都同意,
there's something about these videos that makes them oddly satisfying to watch.
这些视频中有一些东西能出奇地满足观看 。
So, even if you can't get no satisfaction about why these videos tickle your brain so good,
所以,即使你不满意这些视频为什么会让你的大脑如此兴奋,
you can get a whole bunch of it just watching them.
你得到的大堆结果只是,观看它们 。
And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch a machine knead silicone over and over.
现在,如果你不介意的话,我要去一遍一遍地看机器揉硅胶了 。
Couldn't put the clip in the video for you to watch, because that would be stealing.
我不能给你看这段视频,因为你会偷它 。
So, you have to go watch it too.
所以你也去看吧 。
Or you could stick with us here at SciShow Psych and learn more weird things about the internet,
或者你可以点击心理科学秀,与我们一起学习更多关于互联网的奇怪事情,
like this video right here about what makes a meme go viral.
比如这个视频,它是关于“什么让一个模因在网上走红的” 。