(单词翻译:单击)
We’ve all been there — stuck in a long class or meeting, promising yourself you will NOT yell at the next person who opens their mouth,
我们都有过这样的经历——困在一个冗长的课堂或会议中,向自己保证不会对下一个开口的人大喊大叫,
and if you can just get through this, you can eat.
如果你能挺过来,就可以开吃了
Visions of sandwiches and pizza dance in your head, because you’re hungry.
三明治和披萨的幻觉在你的脑海中翩翩起舞,因为你好饿
And being a little peckish doesn't just make us ornery.
有点饿不只让我们变得狼狈不堪
It also has significant effects on our behavior, especially on our impulsiveness when it comes to decision-making.
它对我们的行为也有显著的影响,尤其表现在我们做决策时的冲动
And those effects tend to be a lot more powerful than we realize.
这些影响往往比我们意识到的要强大得多
The research we’re talking about today was carried out mostly in individuals who were fasting temporarily.
我们今天所说的研究主要是针对那些暂时禁食的人
We’re not going to be talking much about food insecurity,
我们不会谈论太多关于粮食不安全的问题,
which is a serious problem that comes with its own suite of psychological effects.
这是一个严重的问题,伴随它而来的是一系列对心理方面的影响
Rather, this is the psychology of what happens when your lunch is an hour late.
更确切地说,这是当午餐晚到一小时时所发生的心理状况
You’ve probably heard that it’s best not to go to the grocery store on an empty stomach.
你可能听说过最好不要空腹去杂货店
Studies show that hungry shoppers are more likely to buy more food that’s higher in calories and lower in nutrients.
研究表明,饥饿的购物者更有可能购买更多的高热量、低营养的食物
But that barely scratches the surface, because hunger affects all your decision-making abilities — not just decisions about food.
但这几乎没有触及表面,因为饥饿影响你所有的决策能力,而不仅是对食物所做的决定
And you might think that’s no biggie; just focus a little harder until you have time for a snack.
你可能认为这没什么大不了,只要集中一点精力,直到有时间吃零食
But here’s the kicker you can’t always tell that your hunger is messing with your decision-making, making it harder to just reason yourself out of it.
但有一个问题,你不能总说饥饿扰乱你的决策,这使你更难摆脱饥饿感
For instance, a 2016 study found that fasting participants were more impulsive in performing computer-based tasks.
例如,2016年的一项研究发现,禁食的参与者在执行基于计算机的任务时更容易冲动
But in questionnaires, those same people didn’t rate themselves as being more impulsive when they were hungry —
但在问卷调查中,这些人并不认为自己在饥饿时更容易冲动——
even though the data showed they were.
尽管数据显示他们确实如此
A lot of what’s happening in our brain and body when we’re hungry stems from our evolutionary past.
我们饿的时候,大脑和身体里发生的很多事情都源于我们的进化史
We really, really need food to survive, so the drive to seek it is pretty powerful.
我们真的需要食物来生存,所以寻找食物的动力非常强大
So when you’re hungry, you’re programmed to prioritize getting some food in your face
所以,当你饿时,会把吃东西放在第一位,
over, like, controlling your impulse to snap at Steve for interrupting your presentation.
而不是比如说,控制因史蒂夫打断你演讲而冲他发火的冲动
We’re filming here.
我们在拍摄呢
Some of that has to do with a concept called projection bias,
部分与一个叫做投射偏差的概念有关,
which is our tendency to think that we’ll feel the same way in the future as we do now.
其中一即我们倾向于认为未来我们会有和现在一样的感受
A 2016 study looked at a pool of 89 people and their willingness to pay for delicious sheep’s milk cheese.
2016年的一项研究调查了89人,询问他们购买美味羊奶奶酪的意愿
The researchers asked participants to make bids on the cheese,
研究人员要求参与者对奶酪出价,
which they were told would be delivered to the highest bidder from each group the next day.
他们被告知第二天将把奶酪送到每组中出价最高的人手中
Subjects who were hungry during the auction were willing to fork over more cash for the cheese,
在拍卖过程中感到饥饿的受试者愿意为奶酪支付更多的现金,
even though they weren't going to receive it until the next day.
尽管他们要到第二天才能收到奶酪
The study also looked at projected hunger.
这项研究还考察了预期的饥饿感
Participants bidding on cheese to be delivered before lunch the next day — when they expected to be hungry again —
竞拍第二天午餐前收到奶酪的参与者(他们预计此时自己会再次感到饥饿),
also bid higher for that tasty treat than people bidding on cheese they'd receive after lunch.
也比竞拍午餐后收到奶酪的人出价高
When it comes to our evolutionary history, outside of air and water, food is pretty much at the top of people’s needs.
说到进化史,除了空气和水,食物几乎是人们最需要的东西
So when you’re hungry, decision-making about, well, anything else drops a notch on your priority list,
所以,当你饿时,关于其他事情的决策会在你的优先事项清单中降一个等级,
and you might be less inclined to keep the big picture in mind.
你也可能不太倾向于关注大局
One 2019 study suggested that hunger makes people more likely to choose smaller rewards now than larger rewards later,
一项2019年的研究表明,饥饿使人们更倾向于现在选择较小的奖励,而不是之后选择较大的奖励,
even if the reward didn’t have much to do with food — like money and even music downloads.
即使奖励与食物没有太大关系,比如奖励钱,甚至是下载音乐
Another study from 2010 compared college students who drank full-sugar soda with those who had diet.
2010年的另一项研究比较了喝全糖苏打水的大学生和节食的大学生
Those who drank the real sugar stuff had higher blood glucose levels
那些喝真正含糖饮料的人血糖水平更高,
and were more likely to choose a bigger cash reward in a month than a smaller one the following day.
他们更可能选择在一个月后获得更大的现金奖励,而不选择在第二天获得更小的奖励
But hunger doesn’t just impact either-or kinds of decisions.
但是饥饿不仅影响任何一种或几种决定
Like, studies of blood glucose in participants who’d eaten breakfast versus those who hadn’t suggest
比如,对吃过早餐的参与者和没吃早餐的参与者的血糖研究表明,
that hunger also takes a toll on your memory.
饥饿也会影响记忆力
For example, one experiment in the 90s involving 184 subjects found that those who had higher blood glucose levels,
例如,90年代的一项涉及184名受试者的实验发现,那些血糖水平较高的人,
were better able to recall words from a list they’d studied earlier.
能更好地回忆起之前学过的清单上的单词
All of this doesn’t bode well for decision-making while your stomach is yelling at your brain to hurry up and feed it already.
当你的胃向大脑吼叫着要快点给它喂食时,所有这些对于决策都不利
Experiments suggest that hunger affects risk-taking behavior, influences the rulings judges hand out,
实验表明,饥饿影响冒险行为,影响法官作出的裁决,
and even makes us more likely to express prejudices or stereotypes we already hold.
甚至使我们更有可能表达出抱持的偏见或成见
And listen, we wish we could tell you that you can just harness your inner gumption
我们希望能告诉你,你可以利用自己的内在积极性,
and not let skipping a meal mess up... whatever decisions stand between you and living your very best life.
而不是让不吃饭搞砸使你过上最好生活的那些决策
But the science says that it’s not that easy.
但是科学表明这并不容易
Some of that probably has to do with mood.
其中一些可能与情绪有关
We know that hunger makes you somewhat grumpier than you would be in a satiated state, and you can’t just snap out of it.
我们知道饥饿会让你比吃饱时脾气更暴躁,你无法从饥饿中振作起来
And even though scientists are still teasing out how being hungry makes people more impulsive,
尽管科学家们仍在研究饥饿如何让人更冲动,
it seems like hunger takes over a bunch of cognitive processes and can transform you into a hangry monster until you eat.
但饥饿似乎占据了一系列认知过程,在你吃东西之前,它会把你变成一个饿疯了的怪物
On a neurological level, finally getting a bite to eat affects the circulating levels of hormones like ghrelin.
从神经学的角度来看,终于吃上一口饭影响到饥饿激素等荷尔蒙的循环水平
Once you’ve had a snack, levels of ghrelin go down, and so does your interest in taking risks —
一旦你吃了零食,饥饿激素的水平就会下降,你对冒险的兴趣也会下降——
unless that snack and ghrelin drop are too small, which can cause risk-seeking to go up.
除非零食和饥饿激素的降幅太小,这会导致冒险行为上升
So yeah — if you’re hungry and you’re about to make a big decision, know that you may well feel differently about things after a meal.
没错,如果你在饿的时候要做重大决定,你要知道自己可能会在进餐后对事态有不同的感觉
The good news is, research into how hunger affects our decisions has the potential to really help people —
好消息是,研究饥饿如何影响我们的决定有可能真正帮助人们,
and not just people stuck in meetings after the donuts are gone.
而不仅仅是那些在甜甜圈消失后陷入会议的人们
Like, some experts say that understanding how blood glucose levels affect people’s short-term decision making could reveal new ways
例如,一些专家说,了解血糖水平如何影响人们的短期决策可以揭示
to treat compulsive and impulsive disorders, eating disorders, and addiction.
治疗强迫性和冲动性精神障碍、饮食障碍,以及成瘾行为的新方法
Researchers are also still looking into the difference between cognitive effects of short-term hunger, like a skipped meal,
研究人员还在研究短期饥饿(如不吃某顿饭)
and prolonged hunger, like in people who are food insecure.
和长期饥饿(如食物得不到保障的人)的认知效应之间的差异
Because only one of those things can be addressed with a trip to the vending machine, but both really do affect how we think.
因为只有一件事可以通过去自动售货机解决,但这两件事确实会影响我们的思维方式
So next time you’re feeling hungry, remember it’s ok to get a snack.
所以下次你觉得饿时,记得可以吃点零食
Your future self will thank you for making the right decision.
你未来的自己会感谢你做出了正确的决定
Hey, know who makes great decisions?
嘿,你知道谁做出超棒的决定吗?
Our patrons.
我们的赞助人
At least, in our totally unbiased opinions, supporting us is a super cool and amazing thing that they do.
至少,在我们完全没有偏见的观点中,支持我们是他们做的一件超棒炫酷的事
Patrons help us make great videos for the whole internet, and we truly value that support.
赞助人帮助我们为全网制作精彩的视频,我们非常珍视这种支持
If you want to get involved, check out patreon.com/scishow.
如果你想参与进来,请登录patreon.com/scishow网站查询