(单词翻译:单击)
This is Justin Schmidt.Yeah, my name is Justin Schmidt.
这位是贾斯汀·斯密特 。是的,我是贾斯汀·斯密特 。
He's an entomologist. And I'm an entomologist.
他是一名昆虫学家 。我是一名昆虫学家 。
I basically study stinging insects.
我主要研究带刺昆虫 。
He's been stung by a lot of insects.
他被很多昆虫叮咬过 。
I've probably been stung at least 1,000 times.
我应该被咬过上千次了 。
He reviews insect stings the way a sommelier reviews wine.
他回忆被昆虫叮咬的感觉就像调酒师评论葡萄酒的感觉一样 。
Pure, intense, brilliant pain, like walking over flaming charcoal with a three inch nail embedded in your heel.
纯粹、激烈、明显的疼痛,就像脚后跟钉着7厘米长的钉子还赤脚走在燃烧的木炭上一样 。
Which insect was that? That's a bullet ant.
那是哪种昆虫?子弹蚁 。
This is his lab in Tucson.
这是他位于图森的实验室 。
This is his harvester ant.This is his vinegaroon. This is his tarantula hawk.
这是他的收获蚁 。这是鞭蝎 。这是沙漠蛛蜂 。
These are some more harvester ants in a park, near his lab.
这些是他实验室附近公园里的收获蚁 。
He is the creator of the Schmidt Pain Scale.
斯密特疼痛量表就是他制定的 。
The Schmidt Pain Scale is basically a scale to rate the painfulness of stinging insects on a scale of one to four.
大体来说,斯密特疼痛量表就是一个用于评估带刺昆虫叮咬疼痛程度的标准,有1到4这么4个等级 。
A one would be a sweat bee.
一级是隧蜂 。
Two would be something like a yellow jacket wasp.
二级疼痛差不多相当于黄脚胡蜂叮咬的疼痛感 。
A three would be something like a harvester ant.
三级相当于收获蚁的疼痛指数 。
And a four would be a tarantula hawk.
四级则是沙漠蛛蜂叮咬后的感觉 。
How bad is a four?
四级疼痛有多痛?
Four is absolutely, excruciatingly debilitating, incapacitating,
四级疼痛绝对是让人难以忍受的那种使人衰弱并且让人失去功能,
just shuts you down, just absolute, sheer pain, there's just nothing you can really do about that.
让人机能崩溃的疼痛,那种彻底的纯粹的疼痛感,让你完全没有办法缓解的疼痛 。
I don't think I'd wanna be stung by a whole bunch of different fours.
我可不想被一群各个等级的昆虫叮咬 。
I don't think I could endure that for very long.
那样我怕是坚持不了多久 。
Let's be clear, Justin Schmidt doesn't just go out and get stung on purpose.
直说吧,贾斯汀·斯密特并不是要故意让自己被蜇伤的 。
It's just that he's dedicated his life to studying, well.
他只是把自己的一生奉献给了研究……嗯……
My passion is insects, and stinging insects in particular.
我的研究兴趣都在昆虫,特别是带刺昆虫上面 。
Yeah, I get stung. But that's, that's all just part of the passion you know, that gives me data.
是的,我是被蜇过,但这只是我研究兴趣的一部分,因为这样我才能取到数据 。
You know, a sting helps me in understanding what the insect's doing
你知道,刺痛有助于我理解昆虫在做什么
and I get to be out in the sunshine, and out in the rain, out in the environment studying these magnificent, beautiful insects.
我会到太阳下,到雨里,到大自然中去研究这些了不起的、美丽的昆虫 。
It's just, just such a joy.
那种愉悦感是无法言语的 。
I can't imagine anything I'd rather do more.
我想象不到还有什么事情能够调动我更大的热情 。