勇气是会传染的
日期:2018-04-08 15:23

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

So, I'm afraid. Right now, on this stage, I feel fear.
没错,我很害怕。现在,在舞台上,我感到恐惧。
In my life, I ain't met many people that will readily admit when they are afraid.
生活中,其实我并没有遇到过很多敢于真正表达自己的恐惧的人。
And I think that's because deep down, they know how easy it spreads.
大概是因为他们很明白恐惧可以传染。
See, fear is like a disease. When it moves, it moves like wildfire.
看到了吧,恐惧就像疾病。它可以像烈火一样侵蚀移动。
But what happens when, even in the face of that fear, you do what you've got to do?
但是在这种情况下,即使面临着恐惧,你会做你该做的事情吗?
That's called courage. And just like fear, courage is contagious.
这就是勇气了。也像恐惧一样,勇气也可以传染。
See, I'm from East St. Louis, Illinois. That's a small city across the Mississippi River from St. Louis, Missouri.
我来自伊利诺斯州的东圣路易斯。是个小地方,在密苏里州圣路易斯的密西西比河对岸。
I have lived in and around St. Louis my entire life.
我一生都住在圣路易斯及其附近。
When Michael Brown, Jr., an ordinary teenager, was gunned down by police in 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri
当这个普通的少年,迈克尔·布朗,Jr,2014年在密苏里的弗格森被警察枪杀,
another suburb, but north of St. Louis -- I remember thinking,
弗格森是圣路易斯的北边的另一个市郊--我不禁思考,
he ain't the first, and he won't be the last young kid to lose his life to law enforcement.
他并不是第一个,也不会是最后一个在强制执法面前失去生命的年轻孩子。
But see, his death was different.
但是他的死亡很不同。
When Mike was killed, I remember the powers that be trying to use fear as a weapon.
我记得迈克被杀时,我记得有权力的人想要把恐惧当成武器。
The police response to a community in mourning was to use force to impose fear: fear of militarized police, imprisonment, fines.
警察对这个在哀悼的群体的回答,就是利用权力施与恐惧:对警察,监禁,惩罚的恐惧。
The media even tried to make us afraid of each other by the way they spun the story.
媒体通过宣传这个故事想让我们都彼此害怕。
And all of these things have worked in the past. But like I said, this time it was different.
这些事情都在以前发生过并且很管用。但就像我说的,时代变了。
Michael Brown's death and the subsequent treatment of the community led to a string of protests in and around Ferguson and St. Louis.
迈克尔·布朗的死亡和之后对待我们群体的态度是弗格森和圣路易斯抗议的导火索。
When I got out to those protests about the fourth or fifth day, it was not out of courage; it was out of guilt.
当我第四、五天去参加这些抗议时,已不再是出于勇气;而是出于罪恶感。
See, I'm black. I don't know if y'all noticed that.
我是黑人。不知道你们注意到了没有。
But I couldn't sit in St. Louis, minutes away from Ferguson, and not go see. So I got off my ass to go check it out.
但我不能安静的呆在距弗格森只有几分钟车程的圣路易斯,而不动身前往。所以我起身前往。
When I got out there, I found something surprising.
我到达的时候,我看到一些让我吃惊的东西。
I found anger; there was a lot of that. But what I found more of was love.
我看到了愤怒,很多愤怒。但是更多的我发现了爱。
People with love for themselves. Love for their community.
人们对自己的爱。对群体的爱。
And it was beautiful -- until the police showed up.
很感人--直到警察出现。
Then a new emotion was interjected into the conversation: fear.
然后新的情绪被注入对话中:那就是恐惧。

勇气是会传染的

Now, I'm not going to lie; when I saw those armored vehicles,
我不撒谎的说;当我看到那些装甲的车子,
and all that gear and all those guns and all those police I was terrified -- personally.
那些装备,手枪,包括警察,就我个人而言,我很害怕。
And when I looked around that crowd, I saw a lot of people that had the same thing going on.
而我看看周围的人群,我发现他们和我一样。
But I also saw people with something else inside of them. That was courage.
但是我也看到了另一些人。他们有勇气。
See, those people yelled, and they screamed, and they were not about to back down from the police.
他们呼喊着,大叫着,他们没有因为警察而退缩。
They were past that point. And then I could feel something in me changing,
他们已经经历过这个点。我感受到了我内心的变化,
so I yelled and I screamed, and I noticed that everybody around me was doing the same thing.
于是我也开始呼喊,我注意到我周围的人也在呼喊着。
And there was nothing like that feeling.
从没有过那样的感觉。
So I decided I wanted to do something more. I went home, I thought: I'm an artist. I make shit.
我决定我要做更多的事。回到家我想,我是个艺术家,我会制造出作品。
So I started making things specific to the protest, things that would be weapons in a spiritual war,
所以我便开始写关于抗议的很具体的事,不仅在精神战斗中可以作为武器,
things that would give people voice and things that would fortify them for the road ahead.
也可以让人们发声,还可以帮助人们构筑前方的路。
I did a project where I took pictures of the hands of protesters
我拍了一张抗议者们的手的照片,
and put them up and down the boarded-up buildings and community shops.
张贴到用木板封住的建筑和社区的商店上。
My goal was to raise awareness and to raise the morale.
我的目标就是宣扬这种意识和士气。
And I think, for a minute at least, it did just that.
我认为至少有一分钟,我做到了。
Then I thought, I want to uplift the stories of these people I was watching being courageous in the moment.
然后我想,宣扬那些当时我觉得勇敢的人,他们的故事。
And myself and my friend, and filmmaker and partner Sabaah Folayan did just that with our documentary, "Whose Streets?"
于是我和我朋友,电影制片人和伙伴Sabaah Folayan,利用纪录片《谁的街道》做到了这一点。
I kind of became a conduit for all of this courage that was given to me.
我感觉对于给我的所有勇气,我完成了传递。
And I think that's part of our job as artists.
我认为这也是我们艺术家工作的一部分。
I think we should be conveyors of courage in the work that we do.
在工作中我们都要成为勇气的传播者。
And I think that we are the wall between the normal folks and the people that use their power to spread fear and hate,
我们是在普通人和利用权力传播恐惧、憎恨的人之间的一堵墙,
especially in times like these.
尤其是这种时刻。
So I'm going to ask you. Y'all the movers and the shakers, you know, the thought leaders:
所以我要问大家。所有的行动者和动摇者,思想的领导者:
What are you gonna do with the gifts that you've been given to break us from the fear the binds us every day?
拥有着可以使我们不再恐惧的天赋的你们,打算怎么做?
Because, see, I'm afraid every day. I can't remember a time when I wasn't.
因为,看到了吧,我每天都很害怕。我完全想不到哪个时候我不害怕。
But once I figured out that fear was not put in me to cripple me,
但是想到恐惧并不是来打倒我的,而是保护我,
it was there to protect me, and once I figured out how to use that fear, I found my power. Thank you.
当我明白了怎么利用恐惧,我就找到了我的力量。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • awarenessn. 认识,意识,了解
  • contagiousadj. 传染性的,会蔓延的,会传播的
  • checkn. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案
  • protectvt. 保护,投保
  • specificadj. 特殊的,明确的,具有特效的 n. 特效药,特性
  • imposev. 加上,课征,强迫,征收(税款)
  • imprisonmentn. 监禁,关押,拘禁
  • conversationn. 会话,谈话
  • stringn. 线,一串,字串 vt. 串起,成串,收紧,悬挂;系
  • spiritualadj. 精神的,心灵的,与上帝有关的 n. (尤指美国