(单词翻译:单击)
I can't stop looking at my phone, but I'm not alone.
我一刷手机就停不下来,但我不是一个人 。
Over 2.5 billion people have smartphones now, and a lot of them are having a hard time putting them down.
如今,有25亿人都有了智能手机,其中很多人都已离不开手机 。
There's a new app that aims to curb phone addiction.
有一个新的软件能够减轻大家的手机依赖症 。
Addiction is money. Are we a nation of smartphone addicts?
上瘾就能赚钱 。我们国家的人都成了智能手机瘾君子了吗?
The problem is, our devices are designed to keep us engaged. They're intentionally addicting.
问题是,我们这些设备设计的初衷就是抓住用户,这些东西是故意设计成让人上瘾的样子的 。
But if you understand the tricks that grab your attention,
然而,大家要是了解了手机吸引我们背后的伎俩,
you can learn to have a healthier relationship with your phone.
就能和手机构建一个良性的关系 。
I think we're living inside of two billion Truman Shows.
在我看来,我们正生活在无数个《楚门的世界》里 。
Where, you know, Truman Show, you wake up and everything is sort of coordinated just for you and you really don't even realize it,
大家知道,在这些世界里,一睁眼所有的东西都是以你为中心的,对此你却一无所知,
but it's coordinating just to entertain you, or just to engage you.
只不过这些都是为了取悦大家或者说只是为了让大家参与进去而已 。
That's Tristan Harris, he worked as Google's design ethicist,
刚才这位是曾在谷歌担任设计伦理学家的Tristan Harris,
and now he runs a nonprofit initiative called Time Well Spent, advocating for awareness of how tech companies profit off of users' attention.
现在,他在做一个名为“美好时光的”非盈利社会活动,呼吁人们认识到科技产品是如何通过利用我们的注意力来获利的 。
It's not designed to help us, it's just designed to keep us hooked.
手机不是设计来帮助我们的,而是来让我们拿起来就放不下的 。
So I handed him my phone and asked him how he'd fix it.
于是我把我的手机给了他,让他帮忙解决这个问题 。
It starts with turning off all notifications, except for when a real human is trying to reach you.
首先,我们把通知全部关掉,除非是真人联系你 。
When you get a call, a text, or a message,
因为你接到电话,收到短信或消息的时候,
it's usually because another person wants to communicate with you.
通常都是因为对方想跟你交流 。
But a lot of today's apps simulate the feeling of that kind of social interaction, to get you to spend more time on their platform.
然而,如今很多软件都在模仿这种社交的感觉,为的就是让你在他们的平台上多停留一会儿 。
If Facebook sends you a push notification that a friend is interested in an event near you,
假如Facebook给你发送了一条推送通知,内容是你一个朋友对你身边的某件事很好奇,
they're essentially acting like a puppet master,
他们其实是想把你当傀儡操控,
leveraging your desire for social connections so that you use the app more.
利用你维持社交的欲望,让你更多地使用他们的软件 。
But notifications didn't always work like this.
然而,通知并非一直都是这样 。
When push notifications were first introduced for email on Blackberries in 2003,
2003年黑莓手机率先为邮件引入推送通知时,
they were actually seen as a way for you to check your phone less.
人们还将其视为摆脱手机的一个办法 。
You could easily see emails as they came in, so you didn't have to repeatedly open your phone to refresh an inbox.
有了推送通知,大家就能轻松看到邮件内容,就不用反复打开手机刷新收件箱了 。
But today you can get notifications from any app on your phone.
然而,今天手机上的任何一个软件都会给用户发送通知 。
So, every time you check it, you get this grab bag of notifications that can make you feel a broad variety of emotions.
一查看通知,各种信息是五花八门,大家的心情恐怕也是在喜怒哀乐之间不停切换 。
If it wasn't for random, if it was predictably bad or predictably good, then you would not get addicted.
如果这些通知的好坏并不是随机的,如果这些消息的好坏可以预测,那大家就无法让大家对手机上瘾 。
The predictability would take out the addictiveness.
可预测性能够抵消让人上瘾的特性 。
That's the same logic behind slot machines. And, it's effective.
老虎机让人上瘾也是这个道理,而且这种做法相当有效 。
Slot machines make more money in the US than baseball, movies, and theme parks combined
整个美国老虎机带来的利润比棒球、电影、游乐场加起来的利润还要多,
and they become addicting about 3-4 times faster than other kinds of gambling.
而且,这种游戏让人上瘾的速度是其他赌博游戏的3-4倍 。
Some apps even replicate the process of pulling a slot machine lever with the "pull to refresh" feature.
部分软件甚至还效仿了老虎机推动手柄来“下拉刷新”的操作 。
That's a conscious design choice.
这一设计并非偶然 。
Those apps are usually capable of continuously updating content,
那些软件通常能够持续更新内容,
but the pull action provides an addicting illusion of control over that process.
下拉这一动作能够让用户产生他们能够控制程序这一让人上瘾的幻觉 。
In the future, we might see healthier ways of delivering notifications.
将来或许会出现更健康的推送方式 。
Research shows that bundling notifications, where phones deliver a batch of updates at set times, reduces user stress.
研究显示,手机定时推送更新的绑定通知能够减少用户的压力 。
Then, you have to grayscale your screen.
如此一来,大家就要调低屏幕的量度 。
The easiest way to attract your eye's attention on a screen is through color.
手机屏幕吸引注意力最简单的方式就是利用颜色 。
Human eyes are sensitive to warm colors.
人眼对暖色更敏感 。
In eye-tracking tests like this one, they gravitate particularly to bright red.
在类似这种的眼动实验中,受试者的目光倾向于落在亮红色上 。
That's why so many apps have redesigned their icons to be brighter, bolder, and warmer over the years.
这就是为什么这些年来很多软件都重新将自己的图标设计得更亮、更醒目、色调更暖的原因 。
It's also why notification bubbles are red.
这也是为什么通知都会标红的原因 。
A little icon like this, or this, doesn't have the same impact on your attention as this.
这样或这样的图标和这样的图标对大家注意力的影响是不一样的 。
But you can neutralize that distracting effect by selecting a greyscale color filter in your phone's accessibility settings.
但大家可以通过调节访问设置里的灰色滤镜来对付红色通知的干扰作用 。
When you make everything black and white, your brain isn't tricked into thinking that this is any more important to you than this.
当你把所有东西都调成黑色色调时,你的大脑就不会被迷惑从而认为这种图标比这种图标更重要 。
I mean, there's a reason why slot machines are you know bright and color and flashing lights and ding ding ding ding ding. They have the sensory input too, right.
老虎机之所以外观都非常显眼,颜色又很鲜艳,还有那些闪闪的指示灯和叮叮叮叮的提示音,这些都是有原因的 。里面有传感输入对吧 。
And so, just noticing that if I take out the color, it changes some of the addictiveness.
所以,只要我们把颜色给它去掉,我们就不那么容易上瘾了 。
Finally, restrict your home screen to everyday tools.
最后,手机主屏上只放日常工具 。
Make sure that your home screen, when you unlock it,
大家一定要让你们的主屏在解锁之后,
doesn't have anything except for the in-the-moment tools that help you like live your life.
除了能够提高你生活效率的工具之外什么软件也没有 。
I have like Lyft, to get somewhere when I need to get somewhere, Maps, Calendar.
我的主屏上放的是打车软件Lyft,有了这个软件出行会比较方便,还有地图,日历 。
None of these are apps that I can fall into and then get sucked down some bottomless vortex of stuff.
这些软件都无法使我一旦着迷就陷入其中坠入某种无底漩涡之中 。
If you're not sure what counts as a bottomless vortex of stuff, it helps to filter out apps that use infinite scrolling.
如果你不确定哪些软件可以视为无敌漩涡,就是那些能够帮你过滤掉那些能够无限滚动刷新的软件的东西 。
Unlike pagination, where users have to click to load new content on another page,
翻页式的软件需要用户点击才能载入新的内容或者跳转到另一页,
infinite scrolling continuously loads new material so there's no built-in endpoint.
无限滚动的软件能够连续载入新内容,并没有内置的终点 。
Video autoplay works in a similar way.
视频自动播放也是同样的道理 。
These interfaces create a frictionless experience,
这些界面能够带来更流畅的体验,
but they also create a user's sense of control and make it harder to stop.
但他们也能给用户带来一种控制感,让人对其欲罢不能 。
Research shows that people rely on visual cues more than internal cues to stop consuming something.
研究显示,相比内在的生理信号,人们更依赖视觉信号来决定停止使用某种产品 。
In a 2005 study, individuals who ate soup out of a self-refilling bowl,
2005年的一项研究中,从一个自动积满汤的碗里喝汤的受试人员,
ate 73% more than those who ate out of a normal bowl filled up by servers.
喝的量比受试对象用普通碗且由服务员人工乘汤时多出了73% 。
But those who ate from the self-refilling bowl, didn't feel any more satisfied.
他们却并没有觉得喝得更饱 。
So, a visual cue, like an endpoint, is better at telling you the right time to stop than your own sense of satisfaction.
因此,端点之类的视觉信号比自我满足感更能告诉我们在适当的时候停下来 。
And because so many apps don't have an endpoint, you have to build your home screen around the eventuality of distraction.
而且,因为太多的软件都没有设置端点,大家就得靠设置主屏来预防注意力被转移 。
We check our phones a lot. Most of us drastically underestimate how often we do so.
我们经常都在查看手机,而且,大多数人都大大低估了我们刷手机的频率 。
But technology might not always look this way.
但科技并非总是如此 。
There are ideas for alternative interfaces that give you functional choices
现在已经有了可以进行功能选择的其他类型界面方面的创意,
and are more transparent about how much time you'll lose with one action, versus another.
这些创意能够清楚地告诉大家某个操作会花费大家多长时间 。
But it's a really deep philosophical question: what is genuinely worth your attention? On an interruptive basis?
然而,这其实是一个非常深刻的哲学问题:到底什么才值得我们关注?要不要考虑其转移注意力的特点?
Do people even know how to answer that question?
大家知道怎么回答这个问题吗?
It's a really hard question, it's not something we think about.
这个问题真的很难回答,我们一般也不会想到这个问题 。
But, for now, it's a question that everybody needs to start asking.
但现在,大家都应该思考一下这个问题了 。
Thank you so much for watching, this has been episode 1 of By Design,
感谢大家观看本期视频,我们准备做一个名为《设计》的合辑,这算是第一期,
this is gonna be a new series looking at different topics in design, in technology,
这个新的系列讨论的是设计,科技,
looking at how human decisions on one end of creating something affect people on the other end.
以及在设计中设计者们的决策对用户的影响等问题 。