如何讨论天气
日期:2017-12-08 15:19

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Hello, I'm Michael.Welcome to Oxford Online English.
嗨,我是迈克尔。欢迎来到牛津在线英语。
In this lesson, you'll learn how to talk about the weather in English.
在本节课,你将学习如何用英语讨论天气。
Do you know what it means if someone says 'it's chucking it down today'?
你知道如果有人说:“今天下了倾盆大雨”是什么意思吗?
If someone says 'it's baking today', do you know what they are talking about?
如果有人说:“今天热得像烤炉”,你知道他们在说什么吗?
In this class, you'll learn words, phrases and idioms that you can use to describe different kinds of weather.
在本节课,你将学习可以用来描述不同天气的句子、短语以及习语。
British people are famous for talking about the weather.Do you know why?
众所周知,英国人总是讨论天气。你知道为什么吗?
It's because in the UK we have a lot of weather.You never know what the weather will be like.You can have all four seasons in one day.
这是因为在英国,我们的天气变幻莫测。你永远不知道天气会变成什么样。你可以在一天里感受到四季。
We are going to look at a typical British day, so the weather is going to be very changeable.
我们将感受典型的英国的一天,天气是非常多变的。
This means that weather can change quickly and unpredictably.
意思是天气变换地很快而且无法预测。
It can be sunny, and then 30 minutes later, it will start snowing.
可能现在是晴天,然而30分钟后,就开始下雪了。
So, first we wake up and it is a bit cold.
所以,首先我们起床的时候天气可能有点冷。
How would we describe this?I could say that it's a bit chilly.
我们如何描述它呢?我可能会说天气有些阴冷。
This means that it's a little cold.Not very cold, just a little cold.Autumn mornings are often chilly.
意思是今天有点冷。不是非常冷,只是有点冷。秋天的早晨通常都是阴冷的。
In chilly weather, you might want a light jacket, but you won't need a heavy coat, or a scarf, or anything like that.
在阴冷天气,你可能想穿一件薄夹克,但你不需要穿一件厚大衣,也不需要戴一条围巾或其他厚重衣物。
But what if it's very cold?You could say that it's freezing.You might say that you can see your breath.
但是如果天气非常冷呢?你可以说今天十分寒冷。你可能会说你可以看见你的哈气。
Freezing means that it is very cold.Not just chilly, but very cold.Antarctica is freezing.Northern Canada in winter is freezing.
Freezing 意思是天气非常冷。不只是有点冷,而是非常冷。南极洲是十分寒冷的。冬天的加拿大北部也是十分寒冷的。
To see your breath means that you can literally see the air when you breathe on it.
To see your breath 意思是当你呼吸的时候,你确实可以看见空气。
Usually if you can see your breath it is freezing.
通常如果你能看见你的哈气,那么天气是十分寒冷的。
If the weather is so freezing that you can see your breath you probably will need to bundle up.
如果天气寒冷到你可以看见你的哈气,你可能会需要穿暖和些。
Bundle up means to wear layers of clothes to keep yourself warm.
Bundle up 意思是多穿几层衣服让自己保持温暖。
When the weather is freezing you need to bundle up.
当天气很寒冷时你需要穿暖和些。
On freezing mornings, it can be very, very difficult to get out of bed.
在寒冷的早晨,起床可能会非常非常困难。
But let's imagine that we get up because we have to go to work.
但是让我们想像一下我们起床是因为我们必须去工作。
So we leave the house and it's drizzling at the moment.
所以我们离开家门时天气是有点毛毛细雨的。
Drizzling means that it is raining lightly.It's not heavy.Drizzle is so light that it can look like mist.
Drizzling 意思是天有点下小雨。不是很大。毛毛细雨是很小的以至于它看起来像雾一样。
We can also say that it is only spitting.Spitting is even lighter than drizzling.
我们也可以说只是小雨而已。小雨要比细雨还要小些。
It means that a few raindrops are falling, but it isn't really raining.
它意味着只是有点点雨滴,而不是真的下雨了。
Before it rains, it might start spitting and then get heavier.
下雨前,可能会先有点点雨滴然后下得越来越大。
Then, suddenly the heavens open.This means that it starts raining heavily.
然后,突然间大雨倾盆。这意味着雨下得非常大。
How else could I describe it if it is raining a lot?I could say that it is chucking it down.
如果雨下得非常大,我应该怎么描述它呢?我可以说今天下了倾盆大雨。
This means that it is raining a lot.It is really heavy.
这意味着雨下得非常大。真的是特别大。
It is the type of rain that people find it difficult to drive in or walk in.
这是那种大到让人们出行变得困难的大雨。
As I am walking to work my clothes are getting soaked.
当我步行去上班时我的衣服全都湿透了。
This means that my clothes are very wet because of the rain.Luckily I bought my umbrella today.
意思是我的衣服因为下雨全都湿了。幸运的是我今天带了雨伞。
So we get to work, only a little damp from the rain thanks to the umbrella.
因此我们去上班,由于有雨伞所以身上只会有一点潮。
Damp means that something is slightly wet.My clothes are a little wet because of the rain.
Damp意思是说某物有一点点湿了。因为下雨,我的衣服有点湿了。
And from my window I can see that it's very overcast and dark overhead.
透过我的窗户,我可以看到天气是多云的而且乌云密布。
To say that it is overcast means that the clouds are covering the sky.You cannot see the sun.
说 overcast 的意思是说有很多云遮盖了天空。你无法看见太阳。
When it is dark overhead you are saying that the clouds are very black.
当你说 dark overhead 意思是云朵非常阴暗。
Most likely this is because it is raining or going to rain soon.
这很有可能是因为正在下雨或者马上要下雨了。
So it is dark overhead and overcast.You think there's going to be a storm.
所以天气是多云的而且乌云密布。你觉得暴风雨马上就来了。
You could say that there is a storm brewing.This means that you think a storm will start very soon.
你可以说那正酝酿着一场暴风雨。意思是你觉得一场暴风雨马上就要来了。
You're sure there's going to be a storm; you can see it in the sky.
你确定暴风雨马上就要来了;你可以透过天空发现它。
And then you see lightning.Lightning is a large electric flash of light.
之后你看见了闪电。闪电是一道巨大的电闪光。
And after the lightning you hear thunder.Thunder is the noise that you hear caused by lightning.
闪电之后你会听见雷声。雷声是由闪电引起的你可以听见的巨响。
Usually you will hear thunder after you see lightning.We call these storms thunderstorms.
通常在看见闪电后,你会听见雷声。我们把这种暴风雨称为雷暴雨。
Thunderstorms are storms that have lightning, thunder and it is also chucking it down as well.
雷暴雨是指夹杂电闪雷鸣的暴风雨而且通常都是倾盆大雨。
When the storm starts, the wind picks up.Soon, it's almost a gale.
当暴风雨来临的时候,风也刮起来了。很快就变成了狂风。
The wind picks up when the wind becomes stronger.
随着风越来越强劲,风速越来越快。
A gale is a very strong wind, which can be dangerous.
大风是很强劲的风,可能会非常危险。
Lucky for you when it is time to go home the storm has finished.
幸运的是,当你回家的时候暴风雨已经停了。
It is now sunny and hot.You won't need your umbrella anymore.
现在是晴天而且很热。你不再需要你的雨伞了。
You walk outside and there isn't a cloud in the sky and it is baking hot.
你走到室外发现天上一朵云都没有而且热得像烤炉一样。
This means that it is very hot.It is baking hot in the Sahara Desert.
这意味着天气很热。撒哈拉沙漠热得像烤炉一样。
It's completely still.That means there's no wind at all.
它完全静止不动。这意味着一点风都没有。
We can also say that it is a scorcher today.This also means that it is extremely hot.
我们也可以说今天是个大热天。这意味着天气十分炎热。
In Australia, most days in the summer could be described as scorchers.
在澳大利亚,夏季的大多数时候都可以被描述为大热天。
Another way to say this is to say that it is boiling.
换而言之可以说今天热得要命。
So if the temperature is very hot we can say that it is baking hot, a scorcher or boiling.
所以如果气温非常高的话,我们可以说天热像烤炉,今天是个大热天或者热得要命。
The walk home from work is a lot better than your walk to work this morning in the rain.
现在步行下班回家比你今早雨中步行上班要轻松得多。
So you get home and watch the weather forecast.
所以你回到家然后看天气预报。
The weather forecast is the prediction for the next day or week of what the weather will be like.
天气预报是对第二天或者下周天气的预测。
The weather forecast tells you that tomorrow it will begin with a bit of frost on the ground and it will be sleeting.
天气预报告诉你明天地上会结一些霜,将会有一场雨夹雪。
In the afternoon there will be flurry of snow but then it will turn into a blizzard by the evening.
下午会有一阵降雪,但很快在晚上会变成大暴雪。
The snow on the floor will turn into slush.It will be below freezing for most of the day.
落在地上的雪会化成雪泥。大部分时候它都会结冰。
What does this mean?It will begin with a bit of frost on the ground.
这意味这什么呢?最开始地上会结一些霜。
Frost are ice crystals on a frozen surface.When it is freezing the ground may be covered in frost.
霜就是冻结在地面上的冰晶。当天气很寒冷时,地面可能会结霜。
Usually in winter in the UK we have very frosty mornings.And it will be sleeting.
通常来讲在英国的冬天我们总会遇到霜冻的早晨。而且将会有雨夹雪。
Sleet is rain and snow mixed together.Sleet happens when snow melts as it falls.
雨夹雪就是雨和雪夹杂在一起。当雪在下落的过程中融化了时会发生雨夹雪。
In the afternoon there will be a flurry of snow.
今天下午将会有一阵降雪。
A flurry of snow means that there will be light snow for a short time.
一阵降雪意味着将会有短时间的小雪。
It won't be heavy and it usually doesn't stay on the ground.
这种雪下得不大而且通常不会在地面上留下痕迹。
But it will turn into a blizzard by the evening.
但到了晚上就会变成大暴雪。
A blizzard is a storm with lots of snow and wind.
大暴雪就是一场夹杂着大雪和狂风的风暴。
Usually planes can't take off or land when there is a heavy blizzard.
通常下暴风雪的时候飞机都无法起飞或降落。
The snow on the floor will turn into slush.Slush is snow or ice that has partly melted.
落在地上的雪会化成雪泥。雪泥就是部分融化了的雪或者冰。
Usually snow will turn into slush when the weather gets warmer.
当天气变暖和的时候,雪通常会融化成雪泥。
Walking in slush is very unpleasant, because cold water will get into your shoes!
走在雪泥上是非常不舒服的,因为冷水会进到你的鞋里面。
It will be below freezing for most of the day.
气温在一天的大多数时候都低于冰点。

njys19.png


When we say it is below freezing we are saying that the temperature is below 0°C.
我们说气温低于冰点就是说气温在零度以下。
This means that it's freezing.So I 'll probably want to bundle up tomorrow!So what have we learnt today?
这意味着天气十分寒冷。所以我明天可能会想穿得暖和点。所以我们今天都学了什么呢?
We have learned that Britain's weather is very changeable and hopefully we have learned how to describe the weather in more detail using phrases and expressions.
我们知道了英国的天气是变幻莫测的,希望我们已经学会了如何用短语和特殊表达方式来更细致地描述天气。
Thanks very much for watching!I hope that you have found it useful.
感谢收看!我希望你们能发现它的有用之处。
You can see more of free lessons on our website: Oxford Online English dot com.See you next time.
观看更多免费课程可以登陆我们的网站:Oxford Online English dot com.下次再见。

分享到