身份案(MP3+中英字幕) 第5期:一位女性委托者(1)
日期:2017-10-12 10:40

(单词翻译:单击)

Sherlock Holmes welcomed her with the easy courtesy for which he was remarkable,
福尔摩斯以他落落大方而又彬彬有礼的非凡态度欢迎她,
and, having closed the door and bowed her into an armchair,
他随手推上门,微微鞠躬,请她在扶手椅上坐下,
he looked her over in the minute and yet abstracted fashion which was peculiar to him.
片刻之间,就以他特有的那种心不在焉的神态把她打量了一番。
"Do you not find," he said, "that with your short sight it is a little trying to do so much typewriting?"
他说道:"你眼睛近视,要打那么多字,不觉得有点费劲吗?"
"I did at first," she answered, "but now I know where the letters are without looking."
她回答道:"开始确实有点费劲,但是现在不用看就知道字母的位置了。"
Then, suddenly realizing the full purport of his words, she gave a violent start and looked up,
突然,她体会到他这问话的全部含义,感到十分震惊,抬起头来仰视着,
with fear and astonishment upon her broad, good-humoured face.
她的宽阔而性情和善的脸上露出害怕和惊奇之色。

福尔摩斯探案集 身份案

"You've heard about me, Mr. Holmes," she cried, "else how could you know all that?"
她叫道:"福尔摩斯先生,您听说过我吧,不然,怎能知道这一切呢?"
"Never mind," said Holmes, laughing; "it is my business to know things.
福尔摩斯笑着说道:"不要紧,我的工作就是要知道一些事情。
Perhaps I have trained myself to see what others overlook. If not, why should you come to consult me?"
也许我已把自己锻炼得能够了解别人所忽略的地方。不然的话,你怎么会来请教我呢?"
"I came to you, sir, because I heard of you from Mrs. Etherege,
"先生,我是从埃思里奇太太那里听说到您才来找您的。
whose husband you found so easy when the police and everyone had given him up for dead.
警察和大家都认为她的丈夫已经死了而不再去找了,而您却毫不费力就找到了。
Oh, Mr. Holmes, I wish you would do as much for me.
哦,福尔摩斯先生,我盼望您也能这样帮助我。
I'm not rich, but still I have a hundred a year in my own right,
我并不富裕,但是除了打字所得的那一点点钱之外,
besides the little that I make by the machine, and I would give it all to know what has become of Mr. Hosmer Angel."
凭我自己继承的财产,每年还有一百英镑的收入。只要能知道霍斯默·安吉尔先生的消息,我愿意全部拿出来。"
"Why did you come away to consult me in such a hurry?" asked Sherlock Holmes,
福尔摩斯问道:"你为什么这样匆匆忙忙地离开家来找我呢?"
with his finger-tips together and his eyes to the ceiling.
他手指尖顶着手指尖,眼睛望着天花板。

分享到
重点单词
  • violentadj. 暴力的,猛烈的,极端的
  • overlookvt. 俯瞰,远眺,没注意到,忽视 n. 高出
  • consultv. 商讨,向 ... 请教,查阅
  • astonishmentn. 惊讶,令人惊讶的事
  • ceilingn. 天花板,上限
  • remarkableadj. 显著的,异常的,非凡的,值得注意的
  • courtesyn. 礼貌,好意,恩惠