(单词翻译:单击)
Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
Many American English idioms come from popular U.S. sports,like baseball, basketball and football.
美国英语中许多习语 都来自流行的体育运动,比如棒球、篮球和橄榄球 。
Drop the ball
犯错误
Anna, what’s wrong? You look upset.
安娜,怎么了?你看起来很心烦 。
I really dropped the ball.I forgot my great-aunt was coming to town, and I was supposed to pick her up at the airport.
我犯了一个很大的错误 。 我忘记了我姑姥姥今天来,我本应该到机场 去接她的 。
And you didn’t. What happened?
但是你并没有去 。然后呢?
She took a taxi. But she is never going to let me forget this.
她打车回来的 。但是她会一直念叨我这件事的 。
In a sport like baseball, dropping the ball instead of catching it can lead to poor results.
在棒球运动中,没有接住球,球掉在了地上后果很严重 。
As an idiom, to “drop the ball” means to fail to do something that was your responsibility.
在习语中,“球掉在地上”意思是没能做成一件事,而且这件事是你负责的 。
It can also mean to make a mistake at an important moment.
同样这个习语也可以表示在关键时刻犯了错误 。
And that’s English in a Minute!
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!