通过增强现实装置瞥见未来
日期:2017-09-28 18:17

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Today's computers are so amazing that we fail to notice how terrible they really are.
现今的电脑是如此的神奇,我们甚至忽略了它们实际上有多么糟糕。
I'd like to talk to you today about this problem, and how we can fix it with neuroscience.
今天我要和你们讨论一下这个问题,以及我们如何用神经科学来解决它。
First, I'd like to take you back to a frosty night in Harlem in 2011 that had a profound impact on me.
首先,我要将你们带回2011年哈莱姆的一个寒冷的夜晚,那个夜晚对我有着深远的意义。
I was sitting in a dive bar outside of Columbia University, where I studied computer science and neuroscience,
我坐在哥伦比亚大学旁边的一个酒吧里,在那里我主修计算机和神经科学,
and I was having this great conversation with a fellow student about the power of holograms to one day replace computers.
我正和一个同学进行一段很有趣的对话,关于全息摄影的力量,会在某一天取代电脑。
And just as we were getting to the best part of the conversation, of course, his phone lights up.
就在我们的对话达到精彩之处时,不出所料,他的电话响了。
And he pulls it towards himself, and he looks down and he starts typing.
他拿起手机,低头开始打字。
And then he forces his eyeballs back up to mine and he goes, "Keep going. I'm with you."
然后他时不时抬头瞄着我说,“继续说啊,我听着呢。”
But of course his eyes were glazed over, and the moment was dead.
但是很明显他的眼神并没有集中,一个绝妙的时刻就这么转瞬即逝了。
Meanwhile across the bar, I noticed another student holding his phone, this time towards a group.
同时,在吧台的对面,我注意到另一个学生正在拿着他的手机,这次屏幕前围着一群人。
He was swiping through pictures on Instagram, and these kids were laughing hysterically.
他正在翻看着Instagram上的照片,这些孩子们正在放声大笑着。
And that dichotomy between how crappy I was feeling and how happy they were feeling about the same technology, really got me thinking.
面对同样的技术,他们感到如此开心,而我却觉得无比沮丧,这种强烈的对比立刻引起了我的思考。
And the more I thought of it, the more I realized it was clearly not the digital information that was the bad guy here,
随着我更加深入地思考,我越来越意识到,很明显这里的问题不是电子信息,
it was simply the display position that was separating me from my friend and that was binding those kids together.
而仅仅是展现信息的位置把我和我的朋友隔开了,却使这些孩子团聚在了一起。
See, they were connected around something,
很明显他们正被某种事联系在一起,
just like our ancestors who evolved their social cognitions telling stories around the campfire.
就像我们的祖先进化了他们的社会认知,比如围绕着篝火讲故事。
And that's exactly what tools should do, I think. They should extend our bodies.
我认为,这正是工具应该做的。它们应该延伸我们的身体功能。
And I think computers today are doing quite the opposite.
我认为在当今,电脑正在做着截然相反的事情。
Whether you're sending an email to your wife or you're composing a symphony or just consoling a friend,
无论你是发一封邮件给你的太太,还是在给交响乐谱曲,或者仅仅是安慰一个朋友,
you're doing it in pretty much the same way.
你几乎都是在用同样的方式。
You're hunched over these rectangles, fumbling with buttons and menus and more rectangles.
你弯腰对着这些方块,玩弄着按钮和菜单,更多的方块出现了。
And I think this is the wrong way, I think we can start using a much more natural machine.
我觉得这是一个错误的方式,我觉得我们可以开始使用一个更加自然的机器。
We should use machines that bring our work back into the world.
我们使用的机器应该能将我们的工作带回到现实生活中。
We should use machines that use the principles of neuroscience to extend our senses versus going against them.
我们应该用那些能够使用神经科学原理的机器,去延伸我们的感官,而不是起限制作用。
Now it just so happens that I have such a machine here. It's called the Meta 2. Let's try it out.
现在我这里正好有一个这样的机器。它叫做 Meta 2。让我们来试试。
Now in front of me right now, I can see the audience, and I can see my very hands.
现在我可以看到观众,还可以看见我的手。
And in three, two, one, we're going to see an immersive hologram appear,
在数到3,2,1,我们将看到一个全息摄影的影像出现,
a very realistic hologram appear in front of me, of our very glasses I'm wearing on my head right now.
一个非常真实的全息摄影出现在我面前,出现在我现在戴着的眼镜面前。
And of course this could be anything that we're shopping for or learning from,
当然这个(影像)可以是任何我们正打算购买的或者要学习的东西,
and I can use my hands to very nicely kind of move it around with fine control.
而且我可以用我的手很轻松地控制它的移动。
And I think Iron Man would be proud. We're going to come back to this in just a bit.
而且我认为钢铁侠会很自豪。我们待会儿再回来。
Now if you're anything like me,
如果你们跟我想的一样,
your mind is already reeling with the possibilities of what we can do with this kind of technology, so let's look at a few.
就应该已经在想着用这种技术都能干点儿什么,我们来看看一些例子吧。
My mom is an architect, so naturally the first thing I imagined
我妈妈是一个建筑师,所以很自然的我想象的第一件事,
was laying out a building in 3D space instead of having to use these 2D floor plans.
是绘出一个立体的建筑,而不是用这些平面的楼层规划图。
She's actually touching graphics right now and selecting an interior decor.
事实上她现在正在触摸着设计图,想选择一个内部的装饰。
This was all shot through a GoPro through our very glasses.
这些都被我眼镜中的GoPro拍摄下来了。
And this next use case is very personal to me, it's Professor Adam Gazzaley's glass brain project, courtesy of UCSF.
下一个使用案例对我来说很私人化,是亚当·哥泽雷教授的玻璃大脑项目,在此感谢UCSF的授权。
As a neuroscience student, I would always fantasize about the ability to learn and memorize these complex brain structures with an actual machine,
作为一个神经科学专业的学生,我总会为能够用一个真实的机器来学习和记忆这些复杂大脑结构的能力而感到惊叹,
where I could touch and play with the various brain structures.
这样我就可以触摸和摆弄不同的大脑结构了。
Now what you're seeing is called augmented reality, but to me, it's part of a much more important story
现在你们正看到的叫做增强现实,但是对我来说,这只是一个更重要故事的一部分
a story of how we can begin to extend our bodies with digital devices, instead of the other way around.
这个故事是关于我们如何开始使用数码装置来延伸我们的身体,而不是限制我们的身体机能。
Now ... in the next few years, humanity's going to go through a shift, I think.
那么...在接下来的几年,人类将经历一个转变,我认为。
We're going to start putting an entire layer of digital information on the real world.
我们将开始在真实的世界中覆盖上一整片数码信息层。
Just imagine for a moment what this could mean for storytellers,
花点时间想象一下,这对于讲故事的人来说意味着什么,
for painters, for brain surgeons, for interior decorators and maybe for all of us here today.
对于画家来说,对于脑外科医生来说,对于室内装饰者来说,也许对于我们今天在这里的所有人来说,到底意味着什么。
And what I think we need to do as a community,
我认为我们作为一个团体所要做的事,
is really try and make an effort to imagine how we can create this new reality in a way that extends the human experience,
是真正去尝试以及努力去想象我们如何创造这个新的现实,以一种延伸人类体验的方式,
instead of gamifying our reality or cluttering it with digital information. And that's what I'm very passionate about.
而不是把我们的现实(虚拟)游戏化,或者使现实和数码信息搅在一起。那就是我非常有兴趣做的。
Now, I want to tell you a little secret.
现在,我想要告诉你们一个小秘密。
In about five years -- this is not the smallest device -- in about five years,
在大约五年之内--这个不会是最小的设备--在大约五年之内,
these are all going to look like strips of glass on our eyes that project holograms.
这些都会看起来像放置在眼前的条状眼镜,能够投射全息摄影图像。
And just like we don't care so much about which phone we buy in terms of the hardware
就像我们不怎么关心不同手机的硬件参数一样,
we buy it for the operating system -- as a neuroscientist, I always dreamt of building the iOS of the mind, if you will.
我们买哪一款手机考虑的是操作系统--作为一个神经科学家,我总是希望建造一种基于大脑的iOS,如果可以的话。

通过增强现实装置瞥见未来

And it's very, very important that we get this right,
非常非常重要的是,我们要保证它能正常运行,
because we might be living inside of these things for at least as long as we've lived with the Windows graphical user interface.
因为这些东西陪伴我们的时间也许不会比我们接触Windows图像用户界面的时间更短。
And I don't know about you, but living inside of Windows scares me.
我不知道你们怎么想,但是住在Windows系统里面这种事儿,使我觉得有点儿吓人。
To isolate the single most intuitive interface out of infinity,
为了把单个最直觉性的接触界面隔离到无限远处,
we use neuroscience to drive our design guidelines, instead of letting a bunch of designers fight it out in the boardroom.
我们用神经科学来指导我们的设计,而不是让一帮设计师在设计室里争论不休。
And the principle we all revolve around is what's called the "Neural Path of Least Resistance."
我们进化的原理叫做“最小阻力神经管道”。
At every turn, we're connecting the iOS of the brain with our brain on, for the first time, our brain's terms.
在每个变化的时刻,我们把大脑iOS系统与我们的大脑连接起来,第一次的时候,用我们的大脑语言。
In other words, we're trying to create a zero learning-curve computer.
换句话说,我们在尝试着创造一个零学习曲线的电脑。
We're building a system that you've always known how to use.
我们在建造一个你们一直都知道怎么使用的系统。
Here are the first three design guidelines that we employ in this brand-new form of user experience.
这些是我们用在这个新的用户体验形式中的最早的三个设计指南。
First and foremost, you are the operating system.
第一,你们是操作系统。
Traditional file systems are complex and abstract, and they take your brain extra steps to decode them.
传统文件系统是复杂和抽象的,它们使你们的大脑要多绕几道弯才能解码它们。
We're going against the Neural Path of Least Resistance.
我们走的是与“最小阻力神经管道”相反的路线。
Meanwhile, in augmented reality, you can of course place your holographic TED panel over here,
同时,在增强现实中,你当然可以把你的全息摄影的TED显示屏放到这里,
and your holographic email on the other side of the desk, and your spatial memory evolved just fine to go ahead and retrieve them.
把你全息摄影的邮件放在桌子的另一侧,你的空间记忆力进化得正好可以准确地提取这些信息。
You could put your holographic Tesla that you're shopping for -- or whatever model my legal team told me to put in right before the show.
你可以把正在网购中的Tesla的全息摄影放在这里--或者我的合法团队在上台之前告诉我的任何模式。
Perfect. And your brain knows exactly how to get it back.
很好。你们的大脑确实知道如何回到现实中来。
The second interface guideline we call "touch to see."
第二个界面指南被我们称做“接触可视”。
What do babies do when they see something that grabs their interest?
当婴儿看到它们感兴趣的事的时候,它们会怎么做?
They try and reach out and touch it. And that's exactly how the natural machine should work as well.
它们会试着伸手去抓它。自然机器也是这样工作的。
Turns out the visual system gets a fundamental boost from a sense we call proprioception
实际上视觉系统得到一个很基本的推动力,我们可以称作本体感觉,
that's the sense of our body parts in space.
那是一种我们的身体各部分处于空间里的感觉。
So by touching our work directly, we're not only going to control it better,
通过直接接触我们的工作对象,我们不仅仅将它控制得更好,
we're also going to understand it much more deeply. Hence, touch to see.
也能更深层次地了解它。这就是“接触可视”。
But it's not enough to experience things ourselves. We're inherently these social primates.
但是我们自己去体验事情是不够的。我们是社会灵长目动物。
And this leads me to our third guideline, the holographic campfire from our first story.
这一点让我想起了我们的第三个指南,来自于我们的第一个故事,“全息摄影的篝火”。
Our mirror-neuron subsystem suggests that we can connect with each other
我们的镜子--神经分系统显示,我们可以更好地和每一个人,
and with our work much better if we can see each other's faces and hands in 3D.
以及我们的工作联系在一起,如果我们可以看到每个人的脸和手的立体图像的话。
So if you look at the video behind me, you can see two Meta users playing around with the same hologram,
所以,如果你看着我身后的录像,就能看到两个Meta使用者正在操作着同一个全息摄影图像,
making eye contact, connected around this thing, instead of being distracted by external devices.
建立了眼神的接触,聚焦在这个东西上,而不是被外界的设备分散了注意力。
Let's go ahead and try this again with neuroscience in mind.
让我们带着神经科学的概念再试一次。
So again, our favorite interface, the iOS of the mind.
再来一次,我们最喜欢的界面,大脑的iOS系统。
I'm going to now take a step further and go ahead and grab this pair of glasses and leave it right here by the desk.
我现在将往前一步,走到前面抓起这对眼镜。然后就放在桌子这里。
I'm now with you, I'm in the moment, we're connecting.
我现在是和你们处在一个时刻,我们正连接在一起。
My spatial memory kicks in, and I can go ahead and grab it and bring it right back here, reminding me that I am the operating system.
我的空间记忆正在运作,我可以过去抓住它,然后把它带回到这里,提醒我自己,我是一个操作系统。
And now my proprioception is working,
现在我的本体感觉正在工作,
and I can go ahead and explode these glasses into a thousand parts and touch the very sensor that is currently scanning my hand.
我可以过去使这些玻璃爆裂成上千块碎片,然后触摸此时此刻正在扫描我的手的传感器。
But it's not enough to see things alone, so in a second, my co-founder Ray is going to make a 3D call -- Ray?
但是仅仅看到这些是不够的,所以很快,我的合作创始人瑞恩将会打一个3D电话给我--瑞恩?
Hey Ray, how's it going? Guys, I can see this guy in front me in full 3D.
嗨,瑞恩,你怎么样?各位,我可以看到这个人以三维投影的形式出现在我面前。
And he is photo-realistic. Thank you.
而且他的影像非常真实。谢谢。
My mirror-neuron subsystem suggests that this is going to replace phones in not too long. Ray, how's it going?
我的镜子--神经分系统显示,这将在不久的将来替代电话。 瑞恩,你怎么样?
Great. We're live today.
我很好。我们终于可以现场演示了。
Ray, give the crowd a gift of the holographic brain we saw from the video earlier.
瑞恩,给大家一个我们之前在短片看到的全息摄影的脑作为小礼物。
Guys, this is not only going to change phones, it's also going to change the way we collaborate. Thank you so much.
各位,这不仅将改变打电话的方式,这也将改变我们合作的形式。非常感谢。
Thanks, Ray. You're welcome.
谢谢,瑞恩。不客气。
So folks, this is the message that I discovered in that bar in 2011:
那么各位,这是我2011年在那个酒吧里发现的信息:
The future of computers is not locked inside one of these screens. It's right here, inside of us.
电脑的未来不是锁在这些屏幕的里面的。而是在这里,在我们身体里。
So if there's one idea that I could leave you with here today,
所以如果我今天可以留给你们一个想法,
it's that the natural machine is not some figment of the future, it's right here in 2016.
那就是自然机器不是只存在于未来的想象,它就在这里,存在于2016年。
Which is why all hundred of us at Meta, including the administrative staff, the executives, the designers, the engineers
这就是为什么在Meta的上百名员工,包括行政管理人员,执行人员,设计师,工程师,
before TED2017, we're all going to be throwing away our external monitors
在TED2017之前,我们将会扔掉我们的外接显示设备,
and replacing them with a truly and profoundly more natural machine.
然后用一个真正的、更加自然的机器代替它。
Thank you very much. Thank you, appreciate it. Thanks, guys.
非常感谢。谢谢。谢谢大家。
So help me out on one thing, because there've been a few augmented reality demos shown over the last year or so out there.
我有个问题,去年就已经出现了很多关于全息摄影的展示。
And there's sometimes a debate among technologists about, are we really seeing the real thing on-screen?
有时候有在科技领域会出现一种争论,关于我们是不是真的在屏幕上看到了真实的事物?
There's this issue of field of view,
这是这个领域存在的一个问题,
that somehow the technology is showing a broader view than you would actually see wearing the glasses. Were we seeing the real deal there?
在某种程度上来说,科技正在展现一个比你实际上戴着眼镜看到的更广阔的视角。我们刚才是不是看到了真实的效果?
Absolutely the real deal. Not only that, we took extra measures
绝对是真实的效果。不仅如此,我们还使用了额外的测量技术,
to shoot it with a GoPro through the actual lens in the various videos that you've seen here.
用GoPro通过真正的镜片去拍摄,就得到了你们在这里看到的各种不同的短片。
We want to try to simulate the experience for the world that we're actually seeing through the glasses, and not cut any corners.
我们想通过透着眼镜看到的事物,去试着真实化这个世界的体验,而不仅仅是看到局部。
Thank you so much for showing us that. Thanks so much, I appreciate that.
非常感谢你向我们展示。非常感谢。

分享到