如何找到自己钟爱的工作
日期:2017-07-30 17:05

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Wow, what an honor. I always wondered what this would feel like.
非常荣幸。我一直很好奇这会是什么感觉。
So eight years ago, I got the worst career advice of my life.
八年前,我听到一个有生以来最烂的职场建议。
I had a friend tell me, "Don't worry about how much you like the work you're doing now.
有个朋友跟我说,“斯科特,别考虑你喜不喜欢现在的工作,
It's all about just building your resume."
重要的是简历上好看。”
And I'd just come back from living in Spain for a while, and I'd joined this Fortune 500 company.
我那时候在西班牙住了一段时间,刚回来,进了一家财富500强公司。
I thought, "This is fantastic. I'm going to have big impact on the world."
我想,“真是太棒了,我要做改变世界的大事情。”
I had all these ideas. And within about two months,
一开始全是这些想法。结果没过俩月,
I noticed at about 10am every morning I had this strange urge to want to slam my head through the monitor of my computer.
我就发现每天一到上午10点多,我就控制不住想用头撞穿电脑屏。
I don't know if anyone's ever felt that.
不知道有没有人有同感。
And I noticed pretty soon after that that all the competitors in our space had already automated my job role.
很快我发现公司里的所有同事,都已经跟我差不多是同样的表现了。
And this is right about when I got this sage advice to build up my resume.
就是差不多这时候,我听到了这个为了简历好看的忠告。
Well, as I'm trying to figure out what two-story window I'm going to jump out of and change things up,
后来,正当我寻思着从二楼的哪扇窗户跳下去,绝地重生的时候,
I read some altogether different advice from Warren Buffett, and he said,
我又从沃伦·巴菲特的书里读到了完全不同的建议,
"Taking jobs to build up your resume is the same as saving up sex for old age."
他说,“为了让简历好看而工作,就跟节省着性生活等老了再用一样。”
And I heard that, and that was all I needed.
我听进去了,这正是我需要的。
Within two weeks, I was out of there, and I left with one intention: to find something that I could screw up.
没过两周我辞职了,离开时就一个想法:我得找个我能搞砸的事做。
That's how tough it was. I wanted to have some type of impact. It didn't matter what it was.
最不济也就这样吧。我想做个有影响的人。什么影响都行。
And I found pretty quickly that I wasn't alone:
很快我发现不是只有我这么想:
it turns out that over 80 percent of the people around don't enjoy their work.
原来身边有80%多的人工作时候都不开心。
I'm guessing this room is different, but that's the average that Deloitte has done with their studies.
我猜在座的各位都很热爱自己的工作,但这80%确实是德勤调查出的平均数据。
So I wanted to find out, what is it that sets these people apart,
于是我就想找出人们工作态度不同的原因,
the people who do the passionate, world-changing work, that wake up inspired every day,
是什么让一些人从事着让人振奋,能改变世界的工作,让他们每天起床都充满干劲。
and then these people, the other 80 percent who lead these lives of quiet desperation.
又是什么让另外80%的人有气无力地在绝望中勉强度日。
So I started to interview all these people doing this inspiring work, and I read books and did case studies,
我开始采访那些做着创造性工作的人,也读了各种书,做了很多案例研究。
300 books altogether on purpose and career and all this, totally just self-immersion, really for the selfish reason of
关于目标、事业的书我看了有300多本,其实主要就是想一头扎进去,为了一个自私的目的
I wanted to find the work that I couldn't not do, what that was for me.
我想找到一个我非做不可的工作。那份属于我的工作。
But as I was doing this, more and more people started to ask me,
但当我在做这些事的时候,越来越多的人开始问我,
"You're into this career thing. I don't like my job. Can we sit down for lunch?"
“你对求职这事儿这么感兴趣。我不喜欢我的工作,有空一起吃个午饭吗?”
I'd say, "Sure." But I would have to warn them, because at this point, my quit rate was also 80 percent.
我说,“没问题。”但我会先告诉他们,我当时的辞职可能性是80%。
Of the people I'd sit down with for lunch, 80 percent would quit their job within two months.
那时和我共进午餐的人当中,80%的人在午餐后不到两个月就辞职了。
I was proud of this, and it wasn't that I had any special magic.
我很有成就感,不是因为我施了什么咒。
It was that I would ask one simple question.
我只是问了他们一个简单的问题。
It was, "Why are you doing the work that you're doing?"
“你为什么在做现在的工作?”
And so often their answer would be, "Well, because somebody told me I'm supposed to."
这些人往往回答我,“有人跟我说我适合做这个。”
And I realized that so many people around us are climbing their way up this ladder that someone tells them to climb,
我才意识到我们身边好多人都在顺着别人给的梯子往上爬,
and it ends up being leaned up against the wrong wall, or no wall at all.
结果发现梯子靠错墙了,或者,根本就没有墙。
The more time I spent around these people and saw this problem, I thought, what if we could create a community,
和他们接触了一段时间,我发现了这个问题,然后我想,不如我们组建一个社区,
a place where people could feel like they belonged and that it was OK to do things differently,
一个让人有归属感,包容与众不同的地方,
to take the road less traveled, where that was encouraged, and inspire people to change?
鼓励人们不走寻常路,激励人们做出改变的地方。
And that later became what I now call Live Your Legend, which I'll explain in a little bit.
这个社团后来成了现在的“活出自己的传奇”组织。
But as I've made these discoveries,
稍后我为大家简单介绍。
I noticed a framework of really three simple things that all these different passionate world-changers have in common,
伴随着这些发现,我注意到充满热情要改变世界的人都做过三件相同的事,
whether you're a Steve Jobs or if you're just, you know, the person that has the bakery down the street.
无论你是史蒂夫·乔布斯这样的人物,或者是一个普通的不能再普通的人。
But you're doing work that embodies who you are. I want to share those three with you,
你做的事都在体现你的价值。我想把这三点和大家分享一下,
so we can use them as a lens for the rest of today and hopefully the rest of our life.
希望能对各位今天,甚至今后的生活都有些启发。
The first part of this three-step passionate work framework is becoming a self-expert and understanding yourself,
想要满载热情地投入工作,第一步,要成为自己的专家,了解自己,
because if you don't know what you're looking for, you're never going to find it.
因为如果你都不知道自己想要什么,还何谈“找到”二字呢。
And the thing is that no one is going to do this for us.
问题在于没人替我们做这件事。
There's no major in university on passion and purpose and career.
大学里没有热情、目标、职业生涯这些专业。
I don't know how that's not a required double major, but don't even get me started on that.
我不知道为啥这些没被设为双专业的必修,我甚至都没注意到这些有多重要。
I mean, you spend more time picking out a dorm room TV set than you do you picking your major and your area of study.
你花在挑选寝室用的电视机上的时间都比你选择专业和学习领域的时间长。
But the point is, it's on us to figure that out, and we need a framework, we need a way to navigate through this.
但重点是,每个人的方向只能由他自己决定,我们需要一个帮我们走出迷雾的办法。
And so the first step of our compass is finding out what our unique strengths are.
所以第一步就要找到自己的独特优势。
What are the things that we wake up loving to do no matter what,
什么事是你每天一睁眼睛就想去做的,
whether we're paid or we're not paid, the things that people thank us for?
不管能否从中获得报酬,而且是对别人也有益的事?
And the Strengths Finder 2.0 is a book and also an online tool.
我强烈推荐一本书,也是个在线工具,叫做《发现你的优势2.0》,
I highly recommend it for sorting out what it is that you're naturally good at.
能帮你找到自己最擅长的事。
And next, what's our framework or our hierarchy for making decisions?
第二步,弄清让我们做出决定的根本原因。
Do we care about the people, our family, health, or is it achievement, success, all this stuff?
是因为我们对人类、家庭、健康的关心,还是因为成就感、成功这样的东西?
We have to figure out what it is to make these decisions, so we know what our soul is made of,
弄清自己的各种决定背后真正的原因,就能使我们了解最真实的自己。
so that we don't go selling it to some cause we don't give a shit about.
也就不至于因为本来不屑一顾的理由而出卖自己的灵魂。
And then the next step is our experiences. All of us have these experiences.
第三,就是经验。我们都一样。
We learn things every day, every minute about what we love, what we hate, what we're good at, what we're terrible at.
每时每刻都在获得新信息,我们喜欢什么、讨厌什么,擅长什么、不擅长什么。
And if we don't spend time paying attention to that
如果我们不在意这些信息,
and assimilating that learning and applying it to the rest of our lives, it's all for nothing.
不去消化已知的经验,并且用到今后的生活里,那么这些都没有意义。
Every day, every week, every month of every year I spend some time just reflecting on what went right,
每年、每月、每周、每天,我都会花些时间反省一下自己什么事做对了,
what went wrong, and what do I want to repeat, what can I apply more to my life.
什么事做错了,什么事需要一直做,有没有更多经验可循。
And even more so than that, as you see people, especially today, who inspire you,
生活中,我们总能听到觉得谁很优秀的时候,
who are doing things where you say "Oh God, what Jeff is doing, I want to be like him."
人们常说,“啊,杰夫可真厉害,我真想和他一样!”
Why are you saying that? Open up a journal. Write down what it is about them that inspires you.
想过为什么感叹么?打开日记本。把鼓舞自己的原因写下来。
It's not going to be everything about their life, but whatever it is, take note on that,
不是写某某某的回忆录,任何点滴想法都可以记下来,
so over time we'll have this repository of things that we can use to apply to our life
时间长了,我们就有了这样一个信息库,满载属于自己的生活智慧,
and have a more passionate existence and make a better impact.
它会使我们充满活力,更清楚自己是谁、想要什么。
Because when we start to put these things together, we can then define what success actually means to us,
因为只要把这些因素放在一起看,就不难发现成功对自己意味着什么,
and without these different parts of the compass, it's impossible.
可如果没有之前的点滴累积,我们就无法看清全局。
We end up in the situation -- we have that scripted life that everybody seems to be living going up this ladder to nowhere.
结果可能是--死气沉沉地活着,庸庸碌碌地和别人一样爬梯子,却不知通往何方。
It's kind of like in Wall Street 2, if anybody saw that, the peon employee asks the big Wall Street banker CEO,
电影《华尔街2》里有几句对话不知道大家注意没有,一个日工雇员问华尔街银行家CEO,
"What's your number? Everyone's got a number, where if they make this money, they'll leave it all."
“你的目标是多少?每人都有个目标数字,等赚足这个数,就立马辞职了。”
He says, "Oh, it's simple. More." And he just smiles.
CEO回答:“噢,好记,就是更多。”然后就只是笑了笑。
And it's the sad state of most of the people that haven't spent time understanding what matters for them,
这正是很多人的悲哀之处,没有努力过了解自己想要什么,
who keep reaching for something that doesn't mean anything to us,
一直追求对自己毫无意义的东西,
but we're doing it because everyone said we're supposed to.
只因为别人说我们应该这么做。
But once we have this framework together, we can start to identify the things that make us come alive.
但一旦我们综合这些条条框框,我们就能发现让自己重生的事情。
You know, before this, a passion could come and hit you in the face,
在某个瞬间我们都曾和自己的一股激情擦肩而过,
or maybe in your possible line of work, you might throw it away because you don't have a way of identifying it.
也许就是你想从事的行业的热情,但这股热情却因为你没有意识到而与你失之交臂了。
But once you do, you can see something that's congruent with my strengths, my values, who I am as a person,
可如果你认出了这股热情,你就会获得和自己能力、价值观、人生观一致的目标。
so I'm going to grab ahold of this, I'm going to do something with it,
我们得紧紧抓住这个目标,一定要做点什么,
and I'm going to pursue it and try to make an impact with it.
不断努力实现它,绝对不能让它凭空消失。
And Live Your Legend and the movement we've built wouldn't exist if I didn't have this compass to identify,
“活出自己的传奇”和我们取得的进步统统都不会发生,如果我没有意识到
"Wow, this is something I want to pursue and make a difference with."
“哇,这才是我想走的路,我可以做出改变”。
If we don't know what we're looking for, we're never going to find it,
如果我们不知道要自己寻找什么。我们就永远找不到它。
but once we have this framework, this compass, then we can move on to what's next
但是一旦我们有了这个大方向,这个指路罗盘,我们就可以走下一步了
and that's not me up there -- doing the impossible and pushing our limits.
话说上面那个不是我--不过总之,要超越自己的极限,做不可能的事。
There's two reasons why people don't do things.
人们做不成事有两个原因。
One is they tell themselves they can't do them, or people around them tell them they can't do them.
一个是,他跟自己说我不行,另一个是,别人跟他说你不行。
Either way, we start to believe it. Either we give up, or we never start in the first place.
不管是哪个,我们慢慢都信了。或者放弃,或者压根就不开始行动。
The things is, everyone was impossible until somebody did it.
可如果谁都不行动,那谁都不可能成功。
Every invention, every new thing in the world, people thought were crazy at first.
这世上每一个发明,每一件新事物,一开始都让人觉得不可理喻。
Roger Bannister and the four-minute mile,
比如罗杰·班尼斯特,一英里四分钟,
it was a physical impossibility to break the four-minute mile in a foot race until Roger Bannister stood up and did it.
这一直是赛跑中的物理极限,一英里要跑进四分钟,直到罗杰·班尼斯特的出现,打破了这个“不可能”。
And then what happened? Two months later, 16 people broke the four-minute mile.
后来怎么样了呢?两个月后,又有16个人打破了这个极限。
The things that we have in our head that we think are impossible
我们觉得不可能做到的事,
are often just milestones waiting to be accomplished if we can push those limits a bit.
往往只是等待我们跨越的一个门槛,我们要做的只是再向前推进一点。
And I think this starts with probably your physical body and fitness more than anything, because we can control that.
我觉得也许从体能训练开始效果最明显,因为这是我们自己能控制的。
If you don't think you can run a mile,
如果你不信自己能跑一英里,
you show yourself you can run a mile or two, or a marathon, or lose five pounds, or whatever it is,
那就证明给自己看,你能跑完一两英里,跑个马拉松,减掉五磅肉等等,
you realize that confidence compounds and can be transferred into the rest of your world.
你会发现自己的信心越来越强,这份信心又会渗透到你生活的各个方面。
And I've actually gotten into the habit of this a little bit with my friends. We have this little group.
我和我的朋友们已经有点养成这个习惯了。我们有一小群人,
We go on physical adventures, and recently, I found myself in a kind of precarious spot.
经常一起去冒险,后来我发现自己有个弱点。
I'm terrified of deep, dark, blue water.
我有深水恐惧症。
I don't know if anyone's ever had that same fear ever since they watched Jaws 1, 2, 3 and 4 like six times when I was a kid.
不知道有没有人跟我一样,小时候把《大白鲨》1-4部看了6遍,那肯定能理解一点。
But anything above here, if it's murky, I can already feel it right now. I swear there's something in there.
水只要有这么高,颜色再深点,我现在都有感觉了。我觉得那水里面肯定有东西。
Even if it's Lake Tahoe, it's fresh water, totally unfounded fear, ridiculous, but it's there.
即使是太皓湖那种淡水湖我都怕,没理由,就是怕,听着挺荒唐,可事实就是这样。
Anyway, three years ago I find myself on this tugboat right down here in the San Francisco Bay.
话说三年前,我有次坐了个拖船,就在旧金山湾这里。
It's a rainy, stormy, windy day, and people are getting sick on the boat,
那天是又刮风又下雨,我们都开始晕船,
and I'm sitting there wearing a wetsuit, and I'm looking out the window in pure terror thinking I'm about to swim to my death.
我穿着救生衣坐在窗边往外看,怕得不行,满脑子都想着我要拼命游。
I'm going to try to swim across the Golden Gate.
当时是打算游过金门海峡的。
And my guess is some people in this room might have done that before.
可能在座各位有游过这段的人。
I'm sitting there, and my buddy Jonathan, who had talked me into it,
我就坐那儿不动弹,我朋友乔纳森了解我的这种情况,他朝我走过来,
he comes up to me and he could see the state I was in.
完全看出了我的紧张。
And he says, "Scott, hey man, what's the worst that could happen?
他说,”嘿,斯科特,最差还能差到哪儿?
You're wearing a wetsuit. You're not going to sink.
你穿着救生衣。沉不下去的。
And If you can't make it, just hop on one of the 20 kayaks.
实在不行你就爬皮艇上去,有20个呢。
Plus, if there's a shark attack, why are they going to pick you over the 80 people in the water?"
再说了,就算来条鲨鱼,为什么它就非得找你的麻烦,水里有80多个人呢!”
So thanks, that helps. He's like, "But really, just have fun with this. Good luck."
我不得不感谢他,说的太有道理了。他说:“就是嘛,高兴点,好运!”
And he dives in, swims off. OK.
然后他就跳到水里游走了。
Turns out, the pep talk totally worked, and I felt this total feeling of calm,
结果证明,这段打气的话很管用,我完全冷静了,
and I think it was because Jonathan was 13 years old.
我觉得主要因为乔纳森只有13岁。

如何找到自己钟爱的工作

And of the 80 people swimming that day, 65 of them were between the ages of nine and 13.
那天有80个人游泳,其中65个是9到13岁的孩子。
Think how you would have approached your world differently
想象一下,这会对你的处事原则有多大影响,
if at nine years old you found out you could swim a mile and a half in 56-degree water from Alcatraz to San Francisco.
假如你在9岁就发现自己可以在13度的水里游完恶魔岛到旧金山全程2.4公里的距离。
What would you have said yes to? What would you have not given up on? What would you have tried?
你又会接纳哪些事?你会抓住什么不再放弃?又会作出怎样的努力?
As I'm finishing this swim, I get to Aquatic Park,
我游完这段,到了水上公园,
and I'm getting out of the water and of course half the kids are already finished,
从水里出来的时候,当然那时候一半孩子都已经游完了,
so they're cheering me on and they're all excited.
他们就为我各种欢呼,非常兴奋。
And I got total popsicle head, if anyone's ever swam in the Bay,
我整个脸都冻麻了,在湾区游过泳的人都知道,
and I'm trying to just thaw my face out, and I'm watching people finish.
我就一边揉脸暖和着,一边看剩下的人不断游过来。
And I see this one kid, something didn't look right. And he's just flailing like this.
这时候我发现有个孩子有点不对劲。他像这样拍打着水。
And he's barely able to sip some air before he slams his head back down.
探头时几乎无法吸气,很快又猛地砸下水面去。
And I notice other parents were watching too, and I swear they were thinking the same thing I was:
我看其他的家长也注意到了,我发誓他们一定在和我想同一件事:
this is why you don't let nine-year-olds swim from Alcatraz. This was not fatigue.
这就是为什么不让九岁的孩子从恶魔岛一路游过来的原因。这不是体力原因。
All of a sudden, two parents run up and grab him,
突然,两个家长跑上去抓住他,
and they put him on their shoulders, and they're dragging him like this, totally limp.
把他的双臂架到肩上,这么拖着他,一瘸一拐地走到岸上。
And then all of a sudden they walk a few more feet and they plop him down in his wheelchair.
然后突然他们又走了几步,扑通一声,把他放回轮椅。
And he puts his fists up in the most insane show of victory I've ever seen.
他把拳头举起来,那种胜利的姿势是我见过最疯狂的。
I can still feel the warmth and the energy on this guy when he made this accomplishment.
我现在还能感受到在他完成任务的时候浑身散发出的那种温暖和能量。
I had seen him earlier that day in his wheelchair. I just had no idea he was going to swim.
那天早些时候我看到他坐在轮椅上,我完全想不到他是来游泳的。
I mean, where is he going to be in 20 years?
这样的孩子再过20年得有多大的成就啊?
How many people told him he couldn't do that, that he would die if tried that?
之前会有多少人告诉他他做不到,如果真去游泳可能会把命丢掉呢?
You prove people wrong, you prove yourself wrong,
当你发现错误地估计了别人,错误地估计了自己,
that you can make little incremental pushes of what you believe is possible.
你就能一点一点靠近自己坚信的目标。
You don't have to be the fastest marathoner in the world,
你不用成为世界上最快的马拉松运动员,
just your own impossibilities, to accomplish those, and it starts with little bitty steps.
只需要战胜对你自己来说不可能的事,一小步一小步开始。
And the best way to do this is to surround yourself with passionate people.
其实最理想的方法就是和充满热情的人相处。
The fastest things to do things you don't think can be done is to surround yourself with people already doing them.
超越自己极限最快的捷径就是置身于已经超越了自身极限的人们当中。
There's this quote by Jim Rohn and it says.
吉米·罗恩曾经说过,
"You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with."
“你是你最常接触的五个人的平均值。”
And there is no bigger lifehack in the history of the world
有史以来最厉害的人生黑客,
from getting where you are today to where you want to be than the people you choose to put in your corner.
这个影响你走向未来目的地的人,恰恰是你选择放在自己身边的那个人。
They change everything, and it's a proven fact.
已经有试验证实他们能改变一切。
In 1898, Norman Triplett did this study with a bunch of cyclists,
1898年,诺曼·特里普莱特进行了一项研究,
and he would measure their times around the track in a group, and also individually.
他测量了一群自行车运动员一起环绕跑道的时间,以及他们单独通过的时间。
And he found that every time the cyclists in the group would cycle faster.
他发现,每次测量都是一起的时候快一些。
And it's been repeated in all kinds of walks of life since then,
后来这个实验被反复用在各行各业里,
and it proves the same thing over again, that the people around you matter, and environment is everything.
结果都证明了同一件事,你身边的人起了重要作用,环境决定一切。
But it's on you to control it, because it can go both ways.
但这个选择权在你手里,因为你可以选择身边的人。
With 80 percent of people who don't like the work they do,
如果说80%的人不喜欢现在的工作,
that means most people around us, not in this room, but everywhere else, are encouraging complacency
那就意味着我们身边大多数人,其他人,不是指在座的各位,他们鼓励我们安于现状,
and keeping us from pursuing the things that matter to us so we have to manage those surroundings.
阻止我们追求对自己真正重要的事,所以我们有必要整理一下自己的环境。
I found myself in this situation -- personal example, a couple years ago.
我很真切地体会过这种境况--这是我自己的例子,发生在几年以前。
Has anyone ever had a hobby or a passion they poured their heart and soul into, unbelievable amount of time,
有没有人曾经全身心投入进一种爱好或者冲动?你花海量时间在上面就想把它当自己的职业,
and they so badly want to call it a business, but no one's paying attention and it doesn't make a dime?
但是别人从来不拿它当回事,而且它还不挣钱。
OK, I was there for four years trying to build this Live Your Legend movement
是的,我用了四年时间组织了“活出自己的传奇“这个机构,
to help people do work that they genuinely cared about and that inspired them,
帮人们做自己真正喜欢,让他们充满活力的工作,
and I was doing all I could, and there were only three people paying attention, and they're all right there:
我做了力所能及的一切,关注我的只有三个人,他们都在这里:
my mother, father and my wife, Chelsea. Thank you guys for the support.
我的母亲、父亲和妻子切尔西。感谢你们的支持!
And this is how badly I wanted it, it grew at zero percent for four years,
我当时就是这么想做这件事,但四年里它一直保持零增长,
and I was about to shut it down, and right about then, I moved to San Francisco
后来我都快放弃了,但也就在这前后,我搬到了旧金山,
and started to meet some pretty interesting people who had these crazy lifestyles of adventure,
见到了一些很有意思的人,他们的生活疯狂刺激,
of businesses and websites and blogs that surrounded their passions and helped people in a meaningful way.
满腔热情洒在网站和博客上,而且还帮了别人做了有意义的事。
And one of my friends, now, he has a family of eight,
我有个朋友,家里有8口人,
and he supports his whole family with a blog that he writes for twice a week.
他养活着一大家子人的方式就是每周更新两次博客。
They just came back from a month in Europe, all of them together.
他们全家最近刚刚从欧洲度了一个月假回来。
This blew my mind. How does this even exist?
我特别震惊,靠写博客怎么可能养家呢?
And I got unbelievably inspired by seeing this, and instead of shutting it down, I decided, let's take it seriously.
这种不可思议给了我巨大的启发,我不再想放弃我的事业,开始认真对待它。
And I did everything I could to spend my time, every waking hour possible trying to hound these guys,
我尽可能地花大量时间去接触这些人,
hanging out and having beers and workouts, whatever it was.
和他们一起吃喝玩乐,健身运动等等。
And after four years of zero growth, within six months of hanging around these people,
四年来一直都是零增长,但和这些人相识六个月中,
the community at Live Your Legend grew by 10 times. In another 12 months, it grew by 160 times.
“活出自己的传奇”的社群规模增长了十倍。过了12个月,又增长了160倍。
And today over 30,000 people from 158 countries use our career and connection tools on a monthly basis.
现在每个月都有来自158个国家的3万多人次,在使用我们的职业规划和联络工具。
And those people have made up that community of passionate folks
他们的出现让这里充满了活力,
who inspired that possibility that I dreamed of for Live Your Legend so many years back.
多年前也正是他们这样的人给了我创建“活出自己的传奇”的灵感。
The people change everything, and this is why -- you know, you ask what was going on.
人能够改变一切。这也就是为什么--你会奇怪到底发生了什么。
Well, for four years, I knew nobody in this space, and I didn't even know it existed,
因为四年来我对这个领域的人一无所知,我甚至不知道这个领域的存在,
that people could do this stuff, that you could have movements like this.
不知道人们还能做这样的事。
And then I'm over here in San Francisco, and everyone around me was doing it.
但我来到旧金山后,看到周围的人都在做这件事。
It became normal, so my thinking went from how could I possibly do this to how could I possibly not.
再平常不过了。我的想法从“我怎么可能做得到”,慢慢转变为“我怎么可能做不到”。
And right then, when that happens, that switch goes on in your head, it ripples across your whole world.
然后一石激起千层浪,大方向变了,其他一切都变得不同了。
And without even trying, your standards go from here to here.
从这儿到这儿,不费吹灰之力,你的标准就改变了。
You don't need to change your goals. You just need to change your surroundings.
你不用改变目标,只要换一个环境。
That's it, and that's why I love being around this whole group of people, why I go to every TED event I can,
就是这么简单,这也是为什么我愿意和这些人在一起,我尽量参加每一次TED,
and watch them on my iPad on the way to work, whatever it is.
上班路上也在iPad上看TED演讲的原因。
Because this is the group of people that inspires possibility.
因为这些人让我觉得没有做不到的事。
We have a whole day to spend together and plenty more.
我们今天在一起,以后还会常常重聚。
To sum things up, in terms of these three pillars, they all have one thing in common more than anything else.
总结起来,上面的三件事都有一个共同特点。
They are 100 percent in our control. No one can tell you you can't learn about yourself.
它们完全由我们自己掌控。不要听别人说你无法了解你自己。
No one can tell you you can't push your limits and learn your own impossible and push that.
不要听别人说你不能再往前走了,你找不到自己的“不可能”,你无法战胜它。
No one can tell you you can't surround yourself with inspiring people or get away from the people who bring you down.
不要听人说你不能和积极向上的人在一起,或者无法离开不停打击你的人。
You can't control a recession. You can't control getting fired or getting in a car accident.
你无法阻止经济衰退、被炒鱿鱼,或者车祸。
Most things are totally out of our hands.
很多事都不在我们的控制中。
These three things are totally on us, and they can change our whole world if we decide to do something about it.
但是这三件事只有我们自己说了算。如果我们决定行动,就有可能彻底改变自己。
And the thing is, it's starting to happen on a widespread level. I just read in Forbes,
而且这具有传播效应。我刚从《福布斯》上看到
the US Government reported for the first time in a month where more people had quit their jobs than had been laid off.
美国政府报告说,一个月里主动辞职的人数首次超过了裁员的人数。
They thought this was an anomaly, but it's happened three months straight.
他们认为这很反常,但连续三个月都是这样。
In a time where people claim it's kind of a tough environment,
在经济不景气的大环境下,
people are giving a middle finger to this scripted life, the things that people say you're supposed to do,
人们受够了既定的生活方式,这种听别人告诉你应该怎么过日子的生活,
in exchange for things that matter to them and do the things that inspire them.
人们不愿再放弃对自己重要的东西,
And the thing is, people are waking up to this possibility,
不愿把想做的事再拖下去。
that really the only thing that limits possibility now is imagination. That's not a cliché anymore.
很多人现在意识到你的想象力才是自己的唯一束缚。这绝不是陈词滥调。
I don't care what it is that you're into, what passion, what hobby.
不管你真心想做的事是什么。
If you're into knitting, you can find someone who is killing it knitting, and you can learn from them. It's wild.
要是喜欢编织,你可以找到登峰造极的编织大师,并可以跟他们学习。这完全取决于你。
And that's what this whole day is about, to learn from the folks speaking,
今天来和这里的人们学习也是同样的道理,
and we profile these people on Live Your Legend every day,
“活出自己的传奇”每天都在更新每个人的近况,
because when ordinary people are doing the extraordinary, and we can be around that, it becomes normal.
因为如果普通人在做不普通的事,并且我们都身处其中,这就变成了司空见惯的事儿。
And this isn't about being Gandhi or Steve Jobs, doing something crazy.
并不是说要成为甘地、乔布斯那样,做很多疯狂的事。
It's just about doing something that matters to you, and makes an impact that only you can make.
就是做对你自己来说最重要的事,一种只有你自己才能带来的影响。
Speaking of Gandhi, he was a recovering lawyer, as I've heard the term,
说到甘地,我知道他是位成功的律师,之前听说过,
and he was called to a greater cause, something that mattered to him, he couldn't not do.
但是他发现了自己更想做的事,一种让他放不下的使命。
And he has this quote that I absolutely live by.
甘地有句话是我的座右铭。
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
“一开始,他们忽视你,然后嘲笑你,他们还会打你,最后,他们输给了你。”
Everything was impossible until somebody did it.
有人迈出第一步以前,一切都是不可能的。
You can either hang around the people who tell you it can't be done and tell you you're stupid for trying,
你可以选择跟告诉你你做不到,不要尝试做傻事的人做朋友,
or surround yourself with the people who inspire possibility, the people who are in this room.
还是给你鼓励、助你冲破枷锁,和在座的各位一样的人。
Because I see it as our responsibility to show the world that what's seen as impossible can become that new normal.
我觉得我们有责任向世人说明,今天看来做不到的,就是明天的新常态,
And that's already starting to happen.
这场自我复苏的革命已经开始了。
First, do the things that inspire us, so we can inspire other people to do the things that inspire them.
首先,做激励我们自己的事情,然后,我们就能激励其他人去做让他们感到振奋的事,
But we can't find that unless we know what we're looking for.
但是做自己钟爱的事,我们要先知道自己想要什么。
We have to do our work on ourself, be intentional about that, and make those discoveries.
我们要扪心自问,用心寻找,发现自己。
Because I imagine a world where 80 percent of people love the work they do.
我期待一个世界,80%的人都热爱自己的工作。
What would that look like? What would the innovation be like?
那会是怎样一番景象呢?创新是什么样的呢?
How would you treat the people around you? Things would start to change.
你又会怎样对待周围的人?一切都会开始转变。
And as we finish up, I have just one question to ask you guys, and I think it's the only question that matters.
我想用一个问题来结束我的演讲,我认为也只有这个问题最重要。
And it's what is the work you can't not do?
那就是:什么工作是你非做不可的?
Discover that, live it, not just for you but for everybody around you,
去发现,为它奋斗,不仅是为了自己,也为了身边的人,
because that is what starts to change the world. What is the work you can't not do? Thank you guys.
因为改变世界的起点就在这里。什么工作,是你非做不可的?非常感谢大家!

分享到