红发会(MP3+中英字幕) 第13期:正式应聘(4)
日期:2017-07-20 11:29

(单词翻译:单击)

My face lengthened at this, Mr. Holmes, for I thought that I was not to have the vacancy after all;
福尔摩斯先生,我听到这些话感到很沮丧。我当时想,完了,这个职位还是弄不到手。
but after thinking it over for a few minutes he said that it would be all right.
但是他考虑了一会以后又说那没有关系。
'In the case of another,' said he, 'the objection might be fatal,
他说,'如果是别人的话,这个缺点可能是不幸的。
but we must stretch a point in favour of a man with such a head of hair as yours.
但是,你的头发长得这么好,对你这样一个人,我们必须破例照顾。
When shall you be able to enter upon your new duties?'
你什么时候可以来上班?'
'Well, it is a little awkward, for I have a business already,' said I.
我说,'唔,事情有点不好办,因为我已有了一个铺子。'
'Oh, never mind about that, Mr. Wilson!' said Vincent Spaulding.
文森特·斯波尔丁说,'那不要紧,
'I should be able to look after that for you.'
我能替你照管你的生意。'
'What would be the hours?' I asked. 'Ten to two.'
我问,'上班时间是几点到几点?''上午十点到下午两点。'

福尔摩斯探案集 红发会

Now a pawnbroker's business is mostly done of an evening, Mr. Holmes,
福尔摩斯先生,开当票的人的买卖多半在晚上,
especially Thursday and Friday evening, which is just before pay-day;
特别是在星期四、星期五晚上,这正是发薪前两天,
so it would suit me very well to earn a little in the mornings.
所以在上午多赚几个钱对我是很合适的。
Besides, I knew that my assistant was a good man, and that he would see to anything that turned up.
而且我知道我的伙计人挺不错,要有什么事他是会照料好的。
'That would suit me very well,' said I. 'And the pay?'
我说,'这对我很合适。薪金多少?'
'Is 4 pounds a week.' 'And the work?' 'Is purely nominal.'
'每周四英镑。''那工作怎么样?''只是挂挂名而已。'
'What do you call purely nominal?'
'你说挂挂名是什么意思?'
'Well, you have to be in the office, or at least in the building, the whole time.
'唔,在整个办公时间你必须呆在办公室里,或者至少在那楼房里呆着;
If you leave, you forfeit your whole position forever. The will is very clear upon that point.
如果你离开,那你就是永远放弃了你的整个职位。对于这一点在遗嘱上说得很清楚。
You don't comply with the conditions if you budge from the office during that time.'
如果你在这段时间里稍微离开一下办公室,那就是没有按照条件办事。'

分享到
重点单词
  • objectionn. 反对,异议
  • awkwardadj. 笨拙的,尴尬的,(设计)别扭的
  • complyvi. 顺从,遵照,答应
  • fataladj. 致命的,毁灭性的,决定性的
  • budgev. 移动,妥协 n. 羔皮 adj. 浮夸的,庄严的
  • stretchn. 伸展,张开 adj. 可伸缩的 v. 伸展,张开,
  • nominaladj. 名义上的,有名无实的,名词性的 n. 名词词组
  • pawnbrokern. 典当商,当铺老板
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • forfeitn. 没收物,罚金,丧失 vt. 没收,丧失 adj.