(单词翻译:单击)
Every weekend for as long as I can remember, my father would get up on a Saturday, put on a worn sweatshirt
在我的记忆中每个周末 我的父亲都会在周六起床后会穿上一件旧T恤衫
and he'd scrape away at the squeaky old wheel of a house that we lived in.
他会刮掉我们所住的老房子的油漆
I wouldn't even call it restoration; it was a ritual, catharsis.
我不能把它叫做修整 那是一种仪式 一种净化
He would spend all year scraping paint with this old heat gun and a spackle knife,
他会用整整一年的时间来用他的热风枪以及抹墙粉刀来刮掉油漆
and then he would repaint where he scraped, only to begin again the following year.
然后他会重新油漆他刮掉的部分 这只是为了能在来年重新开始
Scraping and re-scraping, painting and repainting: the work of an old house is never meant to be done.
刮漆和再次刮漆油漆和再次油漆这所老房子的工作永远不会结束
The day my father turned 52, I got a phone call.
当我父亲52岁的时候我接到一通电话
My mother was on the line to tell me that doctors had found a lump in his stomach terminal cancer, she told me,
我母亲在线上告诉我说医生在他的腹腔发现一个肿块儿癌症晚期 她这么跟我说
and he had been given only three weeks to live.
他只能活三周
I immediately moved home to Poughkeepsie, New York, to sit with my father on death watch,
我立即搬家到纽约波基普西市,守护我父亲的临终死亡
not knowing what the next days would bring us.
不知道第二天我们会发生些什么
To keep myself distracted, I rolled up my sleeves,
为了让自己分散注意力我卷起了袖子
and I went about finishing what he could now no longer complete the restoration of our old home.
我去做他再也无法完成的事情修整我们的老房子
When that looming three-week deadline came and then went, he was still alive.
当那个无形的三周期限来到了 又过去后他还是活着
And at three months, he joined me.
三个月后 他开始跟我一起
We gutted and repainted the interior.
我们重新粉刷了内部
At six months, the old windows were refinished, and at 18 months, the rotted porch was finally replaced.
六个月后 老窗户完成了18个月的时候破败的阳台也翻新了
And there was my father, standing with me outside, admiring a day's work, hair on his head, fully in remission,
而我的父亲和我一起站在外面欣赏着一天的工作他头上的发 重新长了出来
when he turned to me and he said,
他走向我 对我说
"You know, Michael, this house saved my life."
你知道 迈克 这栋房子救了我
So the following year, I decided to go to architecture school.
所以 第二年 我去了建筑学院
But there, I learned something different about buildings.
在那儿我学习了很多关于建筑的东西
Recognition seemed to come to those who prioritized novel and sculptural forms, like ribbons, or pickles?
成名似乎都是 给那些最先革新和雕塑的形式 比方说缎带 或者是腌黄瓜条?
And I think this is supposed to be a snail.
但我认为这应该是一个蜗牛
Something about this bothered me.
这很让我烦恼
Why was it that the best architects, the greatest architecture all beautiful and visionary and innovative is also so rare, and seems to serve so very few?
为什么最优秀的建筑师 最好的建筑都是美丽的 充满神奇色彩的 标新立异的 但是它们都很罕见而且很少人能够享受
And more to the point: With all of this creative talent, what more could we do?
再加上一点 拥有所有这些创造天分我们还能做些什么呢?
Just as I was about to start my final exams, I decided to take a break from an all-nighter
就在即将面临期末考试的时刻 我决定从通宵学习的这段时间抽出一些时间 适当放松一下
and go to a lecture by Dr. Paul Farmer, a leading health activist for the global poor.
我去了保罗 法默医生的一个演讲 他是一个为了全球贫困而努力的健康活动家领袖
I was surprised to hear a doctor talking about architecture.
听一名医生谈论建筑 我感到很惊奇
Buildings are making people sicker, he said,
他说楼房使人们变得更加体弱
and for the poorest in the world, this is causing epidemic-level problems.
在世界最贫困的地方 这已经引起了流行病一样的问题
In this hospital in South Africa, patients that came in with, say, a broken leg, to wait in this unventilated hallway,
在南非的医院比如说 一个腿骨折的病人来到医院在通风不好的大厅等候
walked out with a multidrug-resistant strand of tuberculosis.
就会带着几种抗药性的结核病菌种走出医院
Simple designs for infection control had not been thought about, and people had died because of it.
根本没有想到为控制感染的简单设计 人们因此而死亡
"Where are the architects?" Paul said.
“建筑师在哪儿呢?”保罗说道
If hospitals are making people sicker, where are the architects and designers to help us build and design hospitals that allow us to heal?
如何这些医院使得人们的病变得更加严重 那么那些能建造和设计治愈人类的医院的建筑师和设计师在哪儿
That following summer, I was in the back of a Land Rover with a few classmates, bumping over the mountainous hillside of Rwanda.
那个接下来的暑期我和几个同学一起开着路虎在卢旺达的山岭间穿越颠簸
For the next year, I'd be living in Butaro in this old guesthouse, which was a jail after the genocide.
因为来年 我将居住在Butaro这所老客房内这是种族屠杀后的一座监狱
I was there to design and build a new type of hospital with Dr. Farmer and his team.
我在那里与法默医生和他的团队一起设计和建造一种新型的医院
If hallways are making patients sicker, what if we could design a hospital that flips the hallways on the outside, and makes people walk in the exterior?
如果大厅会使病人病情加重 那么我们能够设计一种医院可以把大厅向露天敞开使人们在外面走动
If mechanical systems rarely work, what if we could design a hospital that could breathe
如果机械系统不工作 那么我们是否可以设计一种医院
through natural ventilation, and meanwhile reduce its environmental footprint?
能通过自然通风而呼吸同时减少它的环境足迹
And what about the patients' experience?
还有病人的体验将会怎样呢?
Evidence shows that a simple view of nature can radically improve health outcomes,
结果显示能看到外面的风景能够彻底地提高健康状况
So why couldn't we design a hospital where every patient had a window with a view?
所以为什么我们不能设计一所能够给每个病人提供一扇看风景的窗户的医院呢
Simple, site-specific designs can make a hospital that heals.
简单、特定的设计能建造一个有治愈效果的医院
Designing it is one thing; getting it built, we learned, is quite another.
设计一个建筑是一件事 但是把它建造出来又是一回事
We worked with Bruce Nizeye, a brilliant engineer,
我们跟Bruce Nizeye一起工作 他是一个很优秀的工程师
and he thought about construction differently than I had been taught in school.
对于建筑 他对我从学校学来的那一套有不同的看法
When we had to excavate this enormous hilltop
当我们必须在这个巨大的山顶挖掘的时候
and a bulldozer was expensive and hard to get to site,
推土机的消费昂贵而且难以到达那里
Bruce suggested doing it by hand, using a method in Rwanda called "Ubudehe,"
布鲁斯建议用双手来解决 借助在卢旺达叫做“Ubedehe(愚公移山)”的方法
which means "community works for the community."
叫做“社区工作为社区服务”
Hundreds of people came with shovels and hoes,
几百人带着铁锹和锄头来到现场
and we excavated that hill in half the time and half the cost of that bulldozer.
我们用了一半的时间和一半的推土机的费用而挖掘了山顶
Instead of importing furniture, Bruce started a guild, and he brought in master carpenters to train others in how to make furniture by hand.
他们没有采取进口家具的方式 而且由一次指导开始 他请来了木匠大师来给他们培训如何手工制造家具
And on this job site, 15 years after the Rwandan genocide,
所以 我们就不用进口家具了在卢旺达人的种族灭绝15年后
Bruce insisted that we bring on labor from all backgrounds, and that half of them be women.
布鲁斯坚持我们需要各种背景的劳动者其中一半是女人
Bruce was using the process of building to heal, not just for those who were sick,
布鲁斯是在利用建造的过程进行治愈 不光治愈了医院的病人
but for the entire community as a whole.
而且是把整个社区团结起来
We call this the locally fabricated way of building, or "lo-fab," and it has four pillars: hire locally,
我们把这个叫做当地人赤手空拳的建筑或者是“当地奇迹“
source regionally, train where you can and most importantly, think about every design decision as an opportunity
就地取材 训练学徒而最重要的想想每个设计的决策是一个机会
to invest in the dignity of the places where you serve.
给你所服务的地方高贵的投资
Think of it like the local food movement, but for architecture.
把它作为当地的食品运动 对建筑来说
And we're convinced that this way of building can be replicated across the world,
我认为全世界都能够效仿这种建筑的方式
and change the way we talk about and evaluate architecture.
改变我们谈论和评估建筑的方式
Using the lo-fab way of building, even aesthetic decisions can be designed to impact people's lives.
利用“当地奇迹”的办法来建造楼房即使审美决定的设计也能对人们的生活产生影响
In Butaro, we chose to use a local volcanic stone found in abundance within the area,
在Butaro 我们选择利用当地的火山石 它在那个区域里资源非常充足
but often considered a nuisance by farmers, and piled on the side of the road.
而且通常被当地农人看作是很讨厌的堆砌在路边
We worked with these masons to cut these stones and form them into the walls of the hospital.
我们和泥瓦匠一起切割这些石块让它们做医院的墙
And when they began on this corner and wrapped around the entire hospital,
当它们从这个拐角开始环绕了整个医院
they were so good at putting these stones together,
这些石块放在一起非常好
they asked us if they could take down the original wall and rebuild it.
他们问我们是否能够拆掉原来的重新建立一个
And you see what is possible. It's beautiful.
你可以看见什么是可能的 它很美
And the beauty, to me, comes from the fact that I know that hands cut these stones,
我认为那种美是来自我们手工切割那些石头的缘故
and they formed them into this thick wall, made only in this place with rocks from this soil.
他们把它们嵌进了这堵厚墙 只是在此地利用了来自这片土壤的石块儿
When you go outside today and you look at your built world,
现在 当你到了外面看看你建造的这个世界
ask not only: "What is the environmental footprint?"an important question
不仅要问一个重要的问题“什么是环境的足迹“
but what if we also asked, "What is the human handprint of those who made it?"
我们同时也会问 建造它的人类的手印又是什么呢
We started a new practice based around these questions, and we tested it around the world.
我们根据这些问题开始了一个新的练习我们在全世界做了试验
Like in Haiti, where we asked if a new hospital could help end the epidemic of cholera.
像在海地时我们问 是否一座新的医院能终结一次霍乱的流行
In this 100-bed hospital, we designed a simple strategy to clean contaminated medical waste before it enters the water table,
在这个100张床位的病房里我们设计了一个简单的策略来清除污染的医疗废品在它进入水源之前
and our partners at Les Centres GHESKIO are already saving lives because of it.
而我们在 Les Centres GHESKIO的合作伙伴已经为此拯救了不少的生命
Or Malawi: we asked if a birthing center could radically reduce maternal and infant mortality.
或者在马拉维: 我们会问是否接生中心会从根本上减少母婴的死亡率
Malawi has one of the highest rates of maternal and infant death in the world.
马拉维有着世界上最高的母婴死亡率
Using a simple strategy to be replicated nationally,
利用一个简单的策略来做到
we designed a birthing center that would attract women and their attendants
我们设计了一个接生中心吸引女人和她们的同伴
to come to the hospital earlier and therefore have safer births.
早些来到医院因此而有着较为安全的分娩
Or in the Congo, where we asked if an educational center could also be used to protect endangered wildlife.
或者在刚果,我们会问是否可以有一个教育中心来用以保护处于灭绝的野生动物
Poaching for ivory and bushmeat is leading to global epidemic, disease transfer and war.
偷猎象牙和野兽肉会导致全球流行病的传染和战争
In one of the hardest-to-reach places in the world,
在这个世界上最难以企及的一个地方
we used the mud and the dirt and the wood around us to construct a center
我们利用了泥巴 尘土和周围的木头建造了一个中心
that would show us ways to protect and conserve our rich biodiversity.
像我们显示了保留我们丰富的生物多样性的方法
Even here in the US, we were asked to rethink
即便是在美国我们被要求重新思考
the largest university for the deaf and hard of hearing in the world.
世界上最大的聋哑大学
The deaf community, through sign language, shows us the power of visual communication.
聋人社区 通过手势语言像我们展示视觉交流的力量
We designed a campus that would awaken the ways in which we as humans all communicate, both verbally and nonverbally.
我们设计了一个校园可以唤醒人们作为一个整体而交流以语言或非语言的方式
And even in Poughkeepsie, my hometown, we thought about old industrial infrastructure.
即使在我的家乡波基普西市我们想到古老的工业基础设施
We wondered: Could we use arts and culture and design to revitalize this city
我们疑惑我们能用艺术文化和设计来振兴这个城市吗
and other Rust Belt cities across our nation,
还有全国其它一些老旧的条带式城市
and turn them into centers for innovation and growth?
能把她们变成革新和成长的中心吗?
In each of these projects, we asked a simple question:
我们在每个项目上都询问一个简单的问题
What more can architecture do?
建筑师还能够多做些什么?
And by asking that question, we were forced to consider how we could create jobs,
通过这个问题我们被迫地考虑到我们怎样来完成工作
how we could source regionally
怎样就地取材
and how we could invest in the dignity of the communities in which we serve.
怎样在我们所服务的社区有尊严地投资
I have learned that architecture can be a transformative engine for change.
我已经学到了建筑可成为变化的转变性引擎
About a year ago, I read an article about a tireless and intrepid civil rights leader named Bryan Stevenson.
一年以前 我读过一篇文章是关于一位孜孜不倦的勇敢的民运领袖他叫布赖恩 史蒂文森
And Bryan had a bold architectural vision.
布赖恩有一个大胆的建筑观点
He and his team had been documenting the over 4,000 lynchings of African-Americans that have happened in the American South.
他和他的队友们已经记录了在南美发生的超过4000例的美国非裔的私刑案例
And they had a plan to mark every county where these lynchings occurred,
他们计划标记下这些私刑发生的每一个区县
and build a national memorial to the victims of lynching in Montgomery, Alabama.
他们在阿拉巴马的蒙哥马利为私刑的牺牲者建立了一个国家纪念馆
Countries like Germany and South Africa and, of course, Rwanda, have found it necessary to build memorials
像德国和南非当然还有卢旺达我们发现有必要建立一个纪念馆
to reflect on the atrocities of their past, in order to heal their national psyche.
来折射他们过去的暴行以便从心理上获得全国性的治愈
We have yet to do this in the United States.
我们在美国也要这样做
So I sent a cold email to info@equaljusticeintiative.org: "Dear Bryan," it said,
所以我发出了一个邮件到info@equaljusticeintiative.org:邮件上说:“亲爱的布赖恩
"I think your building project is maybe the most important project we could do in America
“我以为你的建筑项目也许是我们在美国能做到的最好的
and could change the way we think about racial injustice.
而且它能改变我们所认为的种族不平等
By any chance, do you know who will design it?"
顺便问一句你知道谁去设计这个建筑呢?“
Surprisingly, shockingly, Bryan got right back to me,
令人吃惊的是布赖恩马上回了我的邮件
and invited me down to meet with his team and talk to them.
并且邀请我去跟他的团队见面和谈话
Needless to say, I canceled all my meetings and I jumped on a plane to Montgomery, Alabama.
不用说 我取消了自己所有的会议直飞阿拉巴马的蒙哥马利
When I got there, Bryan and his team picked me up, and we walked around the city.
当我到达那里以后布赖恩和他的团队接我去参观了城市
And they took the time to point out the many markers that have been placed all over the city to the history of the Confederacy,
他们花了一番时间指出在全市所置放的很多关于南部联邦历史的标记
and the very few that mark the history of slavery.
没有几个标记是关于奴隶的
And then he walked me to a hill.
然后他把我带到一个山上
It overlooked the whole city.
在那里可以看到这座城市的全景
He pointed out the river and the train tracks where the largest domestic slave-trading port in America had once prospered.
他指向一条河和一些火车轨道 那是美国国内最大的奴隶交易港口 曾经很繁华
And then to the Capitol rotunda, where George Wallace had stood on its steps and proclaimed, "Segregation forever."
然后我们到了国会圆顶大厦乔治华莱士曾经站在它的阶梯上宣称“永远隔离”
And then to the very hill below us.
然后我们到了丘陵下面
He said, "Here we will build a new memorial that will change the identity of this city and of this nation."
他说 “我们会建立一个新的纪念馆这将改变这座城市和这个国家的面目
Our two teams have worked together over the last year to design this memorial.
我们两个团队去年在一起工作并设计了这个纪念馆
The memorial will take us on a journey through a classical, almost familiar building type,
这个纪念馆会带领我们走上一个旅途通过一个古典的几近熟悉的建筑类型
like the Parthenon or the colonnade at the Vatican.
像帕台农神庙或在梵蒂冈的柱廊
But as we enter, the ground drops below us and our perception shifts,
但当我们进入的时候地面下降,我们的视界更换了
where we realize that these columns evoke the lynchings, which happened in the public square.
我们意识到这些柱子唤起在公共广场发生的私刑
And as we continue, we begin to understand the vast number of those who have yet to be put to rest.
当我们继续的时候我们开始明白数目巨大的这一部分人已经置于安息
Their names will be engraved on the markers that hang above us.
他们的名字会刻在我们上面的这些标记
And just outside will be a field of identical columns.
而在外面 也会有相同的柱子
But these are temporary columns, waiting in purgatory, to be placed in the very counties where these lynchings occurred.
但这些是临时的 等候着今后几年
Over the next few years, this site will bear witness,
在那些私刑发生的区县尚在炼狱中的未明之人
as each of these markers is claimed and visibly placed in those counties.
就像每个标记宣称的在这些国家有目共睹的
Our nation will begin to heal from over a century of silence.
我们的国家将开始从世纪的沉默得到疗愈
When we think about how it should be built, we were reminded of Ubudehe,
当我们考虑怎样来建造它我们想起了“卢旺达人的愚公移山”
the building process we learned about in Rwanda.
我们开始了在卢旺达的那种建筑程序
We wondered if we could fill those very columns with the soil from the sites of where these killings occurred.
我们疑惑是否我们能够用私刑发生的当地的泥土来填充这些柱子
Brian and his team have begun collecting that soil
布莱恩和他的团队已经开始搜集了那些泥土
and preserving it in individual jars with family members, community leaders and descendants.
并且保存在瓶罐之中和他们的家庭成员 社区领袖和子孙后代们在一起
The act of collecting soil itself has lead to a type of spiritual healing.
搜集泥土的行为本身就带来了某种精神的疗愈
It's an act of restorative justice.
这是某种回顾性的司法
As one EJI team member noted in the collection of the soil from where Will McBride was lynched,
就像一个Eji队员在 威尔 麦克布赖的私刑处的泥土搜集过程中记下来的
"If Will McBride left one drop of sweat, one drop of blood, one hair follicle
“如果威尔 麦克布赖德留下了一滴汗 一滴血 一根头发
I pray that I dug it up, and that his whole body would be at peace."
我祈祷我会将它挖掘出来那么他的整个身体将会安息
We plan to break ground on this memorial later this year,
我们计划在今年后半年将纪念馆破土动工
and it will be a place to finally speak of the unspeakable acts that have scarred this nation.
它最终将成为一个为我们讲述那些使我们国家伤痕累累的不可诉说的行为的圣地
When my father told me that day that this house our house had saved his life,
我父亲对我说我们的房子拯救了他的生命那天
what I didn't know was that he was referring to a much deeper relationship between architecture and ourselves.
我还没能体会到他指的是建筑和我们之间更加深的关系
Buildings are not simply expressive sculptures.
建筑不仅仅是一座表达性的雕像
They make visible our personal and our collective aspirations as a society.
它让我们个人和集体的愿望浮现于社会
Great architecture can give us hope.
好的建筑能够给予我们希望
Great architecture can heal.
好的建筑有治愈的效果
Thank you very much.
非常感谢大家