《名人传记》之成为沃伦·巴菲特第13期:很好的商业技能
日期:2017-04-06 17:57

(单词翻译:单击)

名人传记

Is this like going through an old family album?Better!

和看老的家庭照片一样吗 比看那个更棒

When I got out of business school at Columbia,

当我从哥大商学院毕业


I developed pretty decent skills in terms of business,

我开发出了很好的商业技能

but I hadn't really come to terms with the world exactly.

但我真的无法屈服于这个世界

What were you like around girls back then?

你和女性处的怎么样

Bad. I was,I was sort of out of the swing of things there for a while.

不怎么样 我当时有些不谙世事了

I went to my 60th reunion, and there was a girl there.

我去参加了我第69个同学会 有个女孩

I took her out one time to the Uptown Theater in Washington,

我有次带她去华盛顿的上城剧院

and I asked her whether she remembered what movie we saw,

我问她我们看过哪一部电影

and she said, "No, I don't remember that."

她说 不 我不记得了

And then she said, "But I do remember one thing."

她接着说 但我记得一件事

And like an idiot, I said, "What was that?"

我像一个白痴一样说 你记得什么

And she said, "Well, you picked me up in a hearse."

她说 你用一辆灵车接的我

And it was true that I owned a half-interest in a hearse while I was in high school,

我在高中的时候 真是拥有一辆利率打折的灵车

which was not the smoothest thing that or coolest, as they would say now that you could,you could do on a date.

现在你约会 带着人家坐灵车 不好也不酷

There were two turning points in my life.

我人生中有两个转折点

Once when I came out of the womb,and once when I met Susie, basically.

一次是我从子宫中降生 另一个是我遇到苏西

She was the girl, yep.

她就是我的那个女孩

But it took her a little longer to figure out I was the boy.

但她花了很长时间才知道我是那个男孩

I was going to be his youngest sister's roommate at Northwestern.

我在西北大学时是她妹妹的室友

So I walk into their house, he was sitting in this chair, and he made some sarcastic quip.

我走进他们的房子 他坐在椅子里 说了一些垃圾话

So I made one back. I thought, "Who is this jerk?" And that's how we met, yes.

我回了一句 我想 这怪人是谁 我们就是这么认识的

词汇解析

1、go through

经历,经受(尤指苦难或艰难时期)

He was going through a very difficult time.

他正处于非常艰难的时期。

South Africa was going through a period of irreversible change.

南非正在经历一场不可逆转的变革。

翻阅;翻找;整理

It was evident that someone had gone through my possessions.

显然有人翻过我的物品。

通读;彻查

Going through his list of customers is a massive job.

查阅他的客户名单是个相当费劲的活儿。

(法律、协议等)被通过;(决定)被批准

The bill might have gone through if the economy was growing.

要是当时经济在增长的话,该法案或许也就获得通过了。


2、figure

数字;(尤指)统计数字

It would be very nice if we had a true figure of how many people in this country haven't got a job.

如果我们能得到该国失业人口的真实数字就好了。

It will not be long before the inflation figure starts to fall...

过不了多久,通货膨胀率就会开始下降。

人影;身影

Alistair saw the dim figure of Rose in the chair.

阿利斯泰尔看见了坐在椅子里的罗丝的模糊身影。

She waited, standing on the bridge, until his figure vanished against the grey backdrop of the Palace.

她站在桥上,一直等到他的身影消失在宫殿灰色的阴影中。

分享到