(单词翻译:单击)
That a greater fool than Jane Eyre had never breathed the breath of life;
世上还不曾有过比简·爱更大的傻瓜,
that a more fantastic idiot had never surfeited herself on sweet lies, and swallowed poison as if it were nectar.
还没有一个更异想天开的白痴,那么轻信甜蜜的谎言、把毒药当作美酒吞下。
"Yoou," I said, "a favourite with Mr. Rochester?
"你,"我说,"得宠于罗切斯特先生吗?
You gifted with the power of pleasing him?
你有讨他欢心的天赋吗?
You of importance to him in any way?
你有哪一点对他来说举足轻重吗?
Go! Your folly sickens me.
滚开!你的愚蠢让我厌烦。
And you have derived pleasure from occasional tokens of preference
而你却因为人家偶尔表示了喜欢便乐滋滋的,殊不知这是一个出身名门的绅士,
equivocal tokens shown by a gentleman of family and a man of the world to a dependent and a novice.
一个精于世故的人对一个下属、一个初出毛庐的人所作的暧昧表示。
How dared you? Poor stupid dupe!
你好大的胆子,愚蠢得可怜的受骗者。
Could not even self-interest make you wiser?
难道想到自身的利益都不能让你聪明些吗?
You repeated to yourself this morning the brief scene of last night?
今天早上你反复叨念着昨夜的短暂情景啦?
Cover your face and be ashamed!
蒙起你的脸,感到羞愧吧。
He said something in praise of your eyes, did he?
他说了几句称赞你眼晴的话,是吗?
Blind puppy! Open their bleared lids and look on your own accursed senselessness!
盲目的自命不凡者,睁开那双模糊的眼睛,瞧瞧你自己该死的糊涂劲儿吧!
It does good to no woman to be flattered by her superior, who cannot possibly intend to marry her.
受到无意与她结婚的上司的恭维,对随便哪个女人来说都没有好处。
And it is madness in all women to let a secret love kindle within them,
爱情之火悄悄地在内心点燃,得不到回报,
which, if unreturned and unknown, must devour the life that feeds it.
不为对方所知,必定会吞没煽起爱的生命。
And, if discovered and responded to, must lead, ignis-fatus-like, into miry wilds whence there is no extrication.
要是被发现了,得到了回报,必定犹如鬼火,将爱引入泥泞的荒地而不能自拔。对所有的女人来说,那简直是发疯。
Listen, then, Jane Eyre, to your sentence, tomorrow, place the glass before you,
那么,简·爱,听着对你的判决:明天,把镜子放在你面前,
and draw in chalk your own picture, faithfully, without softening one defect;
用粉笔绘出你自己的画像,要照实画,
omit no harsh line, smooth away no displeasing irregularity;
不要淡化你的缺陷,不要省略粗糙的线条,不要抹去令人讨厌的不匀称的地方,
write under it, 'Portrait of a Governess, disconnected, poor, and plain.'
并在画像下面书上‘孤苦无依、相貌平庸的家庭女教师肖像'。