(单词翻译:单击)
I was surprised at this circumstance.
见此情景,我心里一惊。
But still more was I amazed to perceive the air quite dim, as if filled with smoke.
但更使我吃惊的是,我发觉空气十分混浊,仿佛充满了烟雾,
And, while looking to the right hand and left,
正当我左顾右盼,寻找蓝色烟圈的出处时,
to find whence these blue wreaths issued, I became further aware of a strong smell of burning.
我进一步闻到了一股强烈的焦臭味。
Something creaked. It was a door ajar,
什么东西吱咯一声。那是一扇半掩的门,
and that door was Mr. Rochester's, and the smoke rushed in a cloud from thence.
罗切斯特先生的房门,团团烟雾从里面冒出来。
I thought no more of Mrs. Fairfax;
我不再去想费尔法克斯太太。
I thought no more of Grace Poole, or the laugh:
也不再去想格雷斯·普尔,或者那笑声。
In an instant, I was within the chamber.
一瞬间,我到了他房间里。
Tongues of flame darted round the bed.
火舌从床和四周窜出。
The curtains were on fire.
帐幔己经起火。
In the midst of blaze and vapour, Mr. Rochester lay stretched motionless, in deep sleep.
在火光与烟雾的包围中,罗切斯特先生伸长了身子,一动不动地躺着,睡得很熟。
“Wake! wake!” I cried. I shook him, but he only murmured and turned.
“快醒醒!快醒醒!”我一面推他。一面大叫,可是他只是咕哝了一下,翻了一个身。
The smoke had stupefied him.
他已被烟雾薰得麻木了。
Not a moment could be lost.
一刻也不能耽搁了。
The very sheets were kindling.
连床单也已经了火。
I rushed to his basin and ewer.
我冲向他的脸盆和水罐。
Fortunately, one was wide and the other deep, and both were filled with water.
幸好一个很大,另一个很深,都灌满了水。
I heaved them up, deluged the bed and its occupant,
我举起脸盆和水罐,用水冲了床和睡在床上的人,
flew back to my own room, brought my own water-jug, baptized the couch afresh,
随之飞跑回我自己的房间、取了我的水罐,重新把床榻弄湿。
and, by God's aid, succeeded in extinguishing the flames which were devouring it.
由于上帝的帮助,我终于扑灭了正要吞没床榻的火焰。