《名人传记》之亚伯拉罕·林肯第18期:成日游手好闲
日期:2016-07-24 21:19

(单词翻译:单击)

名人传记

You said we all know what he'll do. I don't know.

你刚说 我们知道他要做什么 但我不知道

You know he isn't to be trusted. Trust? Oh

你知道他不可信 信任吗


I'm sorry, I was under the misapprehension your chosen profession was politics.

抱歉 我还以为 你是政治家呢

I've never trusted the President. I never trust anyone.

我未曾信任过总统 或是任何人

But hasn't he surprised you?No, Mr. Stevens, he hasn't.

但他没有让你惊讶吗 没有 史蒂文斯先生 一点也没有

Nothing surprises you, Asa.Therefore nothing about you is surprising.

什么也震惊不了你 阿萨 所以对你而言不存在惊讶

Perhaps that is why your constituents did not re-elect you to the coming term.

也许这就是为何 您没有再次当选

It's late, I'm old, I'm going home.

太迟了 我老了 我要回家

Lincoln the inveterate dawdler, Lincoln the Southerner,

林肯成日游手好闲 是南方人

Lincoln the capitulating compromiser,our adversary and.

是屈从的妥协者 是我们的敌人 也是

leader of the god forsaken Republican Party, our party.

被上帝遗弃的共和党 我党的领袖

Abraham Lincoln has asked us to work with him to accomplish the death of slavery in America.

亚伯拉罕·林肯要求我们 与他一起废除美国的奴隶制

Retain, even in opposition,your capacity for astonishment.

即便反对 也要保持你们讶异的能力

The President is never to be mentioned.Nor I. You're paid for your discretion.

谁都不许提起总统 也不许提起我 不注意的话就等着喝西北风吧

Hell, you can have that for nothin'.What we need money for is bribes.It'd speed things up.

不过 不给钱我就不能保证 我们要钱是为了贿赂选票 钱能通神

No. Nothing strictly illegal.It's not illegal to bribe Congressmen.They starve otherwise.

不 任何事都必须合法 贿赂议员的确不合法 但不受贿他们就会饿死

I have explained to Mr. Bilbo and Mr. Latham that we're offering patronage jobs to the Dems who vote yes.

我跟比尔博先生和莱瑟姆先生解释了 我们为投赞成票的民主党人提供工作

词汇解析

1、surprise

意想不到的事;突如其来的事;令人惊奇的事(或消息等)

I have a surprise for you: We are moving to Switzerland!

我有一个惊喜的消息要告诉你:我们要搬去瑞士了!

It may come as a surprise to some that a normal, healthy child is born with many skills.

一个身体健康正常的小孩天生就会许多技能,这或许会令有些人感到惊奇。

惊奇;惊讶;诧异

The Foreign Office in London has expressed surprise at these allegations.

位于伦敦的英国外交部对这些说法表示惊讶。

You mean he's going to vote against her? Scobie asked in surprise.

斯科比惊讶地问道:“你是说他会投她的反对票吗?”

使人惊异(或意想不到)的事物;让人大吃一惊的人

Senga MacFie, one of the surprises of the World Championships three months ago.

森加·麦克菲,三个月前世界锦标赛上的一匹黑马

My father decided to slip a little extra spending money into my purse as a surprise.

为了给我一个惊喜,父亲决定往我的钱包里多塞一些零花钱。


2、capacity

能力;才能

Our capacity for giving care, love and attention is limited.

我们能够给予的关怀、关爱和关注是有限的。

Her mental capacity and temperament are as remarkable as his.

她的才智和气质和他一样出众。

(工厂、企业、地区的)生产量,生产(或运输)能力

the amount of spare capacity in the economy.

经济中的剩余生产能力

Bread factories are working at full capacity.

面包厂正在全力生产。

分享到