(单词翻译:单击)
名人传记
Whalers? As in, um whales?We're been chasing this whale for a long time.
捕鲸者 抓鲸鱼的吗 我们追杀这条鲸鱼很久了
We're finally placed a harpoon in the monster's back.It's in, James, it's in!
我们最后向这怪物背上刺入了鱼叉 开战了 詹姆斯 开战了
We finish the deed now, we can't wait!
我们履行了契约 时不可待
Or with one flop of his tail,he'll smash the boat and send us all to eternity.
否则他一旦反身而动 就会使我们的努力付之一炬
On the 31st of this month. Of this year.Put the amendment up for a vote.
今年本月31日 让众议院就修正案投票
Whalers?That's what he said.The man's never been near a whale ship in his life!
捕鲸者 他这么说的 他这辈子从未上过捕鲸船
Withdraw radical support,force him to abandon this scheme, whatever he's up to.
撤回激进分子的支持 逼他放弃他的野心
He-He He drags his feet about everything,Lincoln. Why this urgency?
他做事总拖泥带水 林肯 为何这次如此心急
We got it through the Senate without difficulty because we had the numbers.
我们人多 可以不费力地 让参议院通过了此事
Come December you'll have the same in the House.
这样12月众议院也会同样通过
The amendment'll be the easy work of ten minutes.
修正案会轻松通过
He's using the threat of the amendment to frighten the rebels into an immediate surrender.
他在以修正案胁迫 反叛者立刻投降
I imagine we'd rejoice to see that.
我想我们会很高兴看到那一幕的
Will you rejoice, when the Southern states have re-joined the Union pell-mell as
就算我们通过了 等南方各州遂了林肯的意
Lincoln intends them to,and one by one each refuses to ratify the amendment?
重新加入联邦的乱局 依次拒批修正案的话 你会开心吗
If we pass it, which we won't.Why are we co-operating with-with him?
因此我们不会通过 我们为什么要同他合作
We all know what he's doing, and we all know what he'll do.
我们都知道他在做什么 他会做什么
We can't offer up abolition's best legal prayer to his games and tricks.
我们不能顺应 最想合法废奴的人的手腕
He's said he'd welcome the South back with all its slaves in chains.
他说过他会 以被囚的奴隶迎接南军
Three years ago he said that. To calm the border states when we were I don't.
三年前他那么说 以平息 各州 我不知道
词汇解析
1、abandon
离弃;遗弃;抛弃
He claimed that his parents had abandoned him.
他声称父母遗弃了他。
The road is strewn with abandoned vehicles.
道路上满是弃置的车辆。
中途放弃,中止(活动、工作等)
The authorities have abandoned any attempt to distribute food.
当局中止了分发食物的尝试。
The scheme's investors, fearful of bankruptcy, decided to abandon the project.
因为担心破产,该计划的投资者决定放弃这个项目。
放任;放纵
He has spent money with gay abandon.
他肆意挥霍钱财。
Their permissiveness toward their children reflects the wild abandon of their own lives.
他们对孩子的放任折射出他们自身生活的放浪形骸。

2、intend
想要;打算;计划
She intends to do A levels and go to university.
她计划先参加高级考试,然后去读大学。
I didn't intend coming to Germany to work.
我没有打算来德国工作。
准备,预留(作某种用途或给某人用)
This money is intended for the development of the tourist industry.
这笔钱准备用于旅游业的开发。
Columns are usually intended in architecture to add grandeur and status.
圆柱在建筑中通常用来增添气势和显示地位。
