波士顿法律第一季(MP3+中英字幕):第4集 改变结果
日期:2017-01-25 10:50

(单词翻译:单击)

Previously on Boston Legal
前情提要
You disapprove of me.
你打扰到我了
You know, I'd stake out a little distance from that Shore guy, Sally.
萨莉,你知道的,你得离肖尔那小子远点
He tends to leave people's minds a little worse off than he finds them.
他总能让人在遇见他后,变得更加糟糕
Why are you counseling Sally to distance herself from me?
为什么你要让萨莉跟我保持距离?
There are happily ever after guys,
有些男人分手后留下快乐
and there are those who leave girls in a heap.
有些却只给女生留下痛苦
And I can tell the difference.
我能分辨出来
Sorry, I'm sorry, good people.
抱歉,我迟到了,好人们
Edwin, everything all right?
埃德温,你还好吗?
Hunky dory.
好到不行
Denny, guess what, I'm due in court with Tara.
丹尼我要跟塔拉一起上庭的
We're on it.
我们会接手的
Don't you worry.
不要担心
You just get better. Okay.
你只要赶紧康复就好,好的
Demagnetize his parking pass.
把他的停车通行证作废
I beg your pardon? I know when the man is gone.
你说什么?我知道人什么时候该离开
Helen
海伦
He's gone.
他走了
Denny, Edwin's gone.
丹尼 埃德温走了
I know. Shame.
我知道,我很遗憾
No, I mean he's missing.
不,我是说他失踪了
He left the hospital.
他离开了医院
Did he come here? Not that I'm aware of.
他来过这里吗,据我所知没有
Anyone see Edwin Poole?
有谁见到过埃德温·普尔吗?
Your honor, at this time I would like to discharge counsel.
法官大人,现在我决定解雇我的辩护律师
Can you tell me why you want new counsel?
你能告诉我你为什么需要新的辩护律师吗?
On the grounds of intolerabilitude.
我没办法再忍受下去了
Not a real word, Mr. Litch.
利奇先生,这算不上理由
It should be, your honor,
这就是理由,法官大人
because it describes my deteriorating relationship
因为这能够说明...
with the man vested with the responsibility of proving my innocence.
我和那个需要证明我清白的人之间不断恶化的关系
Sir, you confessed to the crime.
先生,你已经认罪了
I changed my position on that.
我改变主意了
Mr. Litch, this is the seventh attorney.
利奇先生,这已经是第七个你在庭审
you've sought to discharge on the eve of trial.
前一天解雇的律师了
Your honor, I am anxious for my day in court.
法官大人,我很期盼上庭的那一天
I'm looking forward to seeing 12 open minds in that box,
我很期待看到12个开明的人坐在那边位子上
because I don't see one when you're sitting,
因为当你坐在这里的时候我一个也看不到
and I don't have one sitting here with me.
而且也没这样的一个人和我坐在一起
Well, here's my problem, Mr. Litch.
好吧,现在我的问题是,利奇先生
I'm all out of public defenders.
我已经没有公派辩护律师给你了
Every available one, you fired.
每一个能用的都被你炒掉了
I'll do it.
我来接这个案子
Attorney Edwin Poole, your honor, of Crane, Poole and Schmidt.
我是克兰, 普尔和施密特律师事物所的辩护律师埃德温·普尔
I'll represent Mr. Litch.
我会为利奇先生辩护
You're the Edwin Poole?
你就是那个埃德温·普尔?
Indeed.
没错
From Crane, Poole & Schmidt?
来自克兰, 普尔和施密特律师事物所?
Indeed.
没错
And you're offering to defend this man.
你主动要求为这个男人辩护
Yes.
是的
Mr. Litch, I will give you a new attorney.
利奇先生,我现在给你一个新的辩护律师
What I will not give you is additional time.
但是我不会再给你额外的时间了
This trial will begin tomorrow...
审判将于明天开始...
May I be heard on bail, judge?
我能要求保释听证会吗,法官大人?
No, you may not. 10:00 tomorrow.
不,你不行,明天上午10点
Defendant stays in custody.
被告继续羁押
We are adjourned.
现在休庭
Hello, Mr. Criminal.
你好,罪犯先生
We can talk back in custody.
我们到拘留所里再谈
Incidentally, what are you charged with?
顺便问一下,你的罪名是?
Murder.
谋杀
You got yourself a top-of-the-line criminal.
你给自己揽到一个头号重犯
He did what? He took a case.
他做了什么?他接了个案子
Left the hospital, went into criminal session, and took a case.
离开医院,闯入刑事法庭,然后接了这个案子
We need you to get down there. Whoa.
我们需要你来跟进,哇喔
No, never mind "Whoa."
不,别说,哇喔
I do not do criminal law. I can't go. I'm in trial.
我不跟刑事案,我有案子,抽不开身
We have lots of other lawyers. You used to be a D.A.
我们还有很多律师,你当过地方检查官
You can do it. What about Alan Shore? He's...
你能做到的,艾伦·肖呢,他能...
Lewiston needs him for something else.
刘易斯顿需要他做别的事
I need you to get down there, please.
我需要你来跟这个案子,拜托了
He is sitting in a jail cell.
他现在坐在拘留所的号子里
What do you mean he's sitting in a jail cell?
什么叫做“他现在坐在拘留所的号子里”
He walked back into custody, went into the cell.
他回到拘留所,进了号子
There he sits with the client, happily so.
然后他坐在了委托人旁边,就是这样
Please get down there.
拜托你跟这个案子
So what's it about?
那么这件事到底是怎样?
I have no idea.
完全没有头绪
Well, if you need a second chair,
好吧,如果你需要我协助
it would be nice for Paul Lewiston to know that I exist.
保罗·刘易斯顿就会知道我的存在了
Denny Crane. You got it.
丹尼·克兰在此,久仰
What can I do for you?
有什么可以效劳的?
Thank you. Please have a seat.
谢谢,请坐
We represent a company, the CEO
我们要为一个公司CEO辩护
of which is in need of immediate legal assistance.
需要紧急的法律援助
Lee Tyler, brilliant woman.
李·泰勒,睿智的女士
Kind woman.
和蔼的女士
She's about to go on trial tomorrow for stealing a $200 scarf.
她明天将面临因偷窃一条200美金的围巾指控
It's ordinarily a small matter. Here's why it's not.
本该是件小事,但是这次不同
If she gets convicted of this crime,
如果她被定罪...
she violates a morals clause in her contract.
她就违反了公司合同中的道德条款
She's out as CEO,
她就不能继续担任CEO
and since she's the one who hired us,
但是因为她是我们的雇主
we stand to lose our biggest client.
我们就会丢掉最大的客户
We have...
我们不得不...
exhausted all conventional means to make this go away.
竭尽全力以所有常规方式帮她脱罪
We have failed.
但我们失败了
We now need an attorney with experience in, perhaps...
现在我们需要的是一个在打破常规方面...
unconventional means.
经验丰富的律师
I don't care.
我不在乎
You don't care?
你不在乎?
He basically escaped from a mental facility.
他基本上是从精神病院逃出来的
Objection.
反对
You're talking as if I'm not even in the room. It's inappropriate.
你们说话就象我根本不在这房间里,这是不应该的
You should still be in the hospital.
你应该呆在医院
Look, Ms. Colson,
听着,科尔森女士
your firm took this case.
你的公司接了这个案子
If Edwin Poole lacks capacity to try it, then it falls to you.
如果埃德温·普尔不能接的话,那就落到你头上了
Me? I don't practice criminal law.
我?我不接刑事案子的
Counsel, I have had it.
律师小姐,我已经受够了
This case has been perversely delayed.
这个案子已经拖了很久了
I've had a widow and her two children show up for trial four times,
我已经让一位寡妇和她的2个孩子,4次到场参与审判
only to have it put off.
每次都以延期收场
I won't delay it another day.
我不能再让它拖下去了
If he can't do it, then you will.
他不做,你做
Now, I suggest you get back there and meet your client.
现在,我建议你们去见当事人吧
He pulls me over for running this stop sign,
他做个“停止”的手势让我停下
and I got this dime bag of coke, you know, so...
而我拿着一小包可卡因,你知道,所以...
I stuff it under my seat so he can't see it.
我把东西藏在座位底下不让他看见
I also got my gun under there.
我的枪也放在那
He's a drug dealer.
他是个毒贩
Continue.
继续
So he comes to the window
然后他来到我窗边
and gives me this and that about road safety and all that,
说了一堆交通安全的大道理
and then he tells me to step out of the car,
然后让我从车里出来
and suddenly, I'm thinking, damn, he's gonna search it,
突然间,我想到,见鬼,他肯定会搜车的
and two priors for intent, I'm a dead man.
加上两次前科,我死定了
That's strike three.
再来第三次
It's a life sentence.
要坐一辈子牢的
So I panicked.
我慌了
I reached under the seat,
我从座位底下...
I grabbed the gun, and I shot him.
摸到了枪,然后对他开了枪
Boom! So... Continue. I panicked.
砰!然后...继续,我那时慌了
I don't even remember it. I'm telling you the truth.
我甚至都不记得了,我说的都是实话
In one second, I'm thinking life sentence,
一想到无期徒刑
and the next thing, I'm squeezing the trigger.
接下来我就扣动了扳机
And then what happened? Well, I drove off,
然后呢?呃,我开车跑了
and I'm seeing on the news how they had this big manhunt
我看新闻说他们展开了大搜捕
and they had a partial license plate,
找到了车牌的一部分
so I figured it was only a matter of time.
我意识到找到我只是时间问题
One week later, my door's busted in.
一周以后,我家的门被轰开
I try to go out the window, and that's when I got shot.
我想要从窗户逃出去,但那时我就被击中了
Finally, I just confessed to it all in the hospital.
最后,我在医院里全招了
They don't have the gun.
他们没找到枪
No gun, no witnesses.
没枪,没目击证人
They ain't got nothing.
他们啥证据都没有
Except your confession.
除了你的供词
Yeah.
是的
Mr. Criminal, I don't ever like to make predictions,
罪犯先生,虽然我从不喜欢预言什么
but I think we can get you off.
但是我想我们能把你弄出去
I asked her if I could look in her bag.
我问她我能检查一下她的包吗
She said to me,
她对我说
"what right do you have?"
你有什么权利这么做
I said, "well, ma'am, I'm a security officer for the store."
我说,女士,我是这家商场的保安
And then what happened, sir?
接下来发生了什么,先生?
She let me look in her bag,
她让我检查了她的包
and there was the scarf.
里面果然有那条围巾
Did she say anything?
她说了什么吗?
Said she had no idea how it got there.
她说她不知道围巾怎么到她的包里去的
Tell me, Mr. Lyne,
告诉我,莱恩先生
from what distance did you see the accused put the scarf in her bag?
你从多远外看到被告把围巾放她包里?
I didn't actually see it myself.
我本人并没有看见
Oh, you didn't see it. No.
哦,你并没有看见,是
A store clerk said she took it.
一个商场职员说是她拿的
Ah, there we go.
啊,那好吧
Do you see the store clerk here today, sir? Yes, I do.
你看见那个职员今天到场了吗?是的,我看见了
Miles Tibbet, sitting right over there.
Miles Tibbet就坐在那儿
This man. He told you the defendant took the scarf.
这个男人,告诉你被告拿了那条围巾
Yes, he did.
是的,是他告诉我的
How do you feel about working undercover?
你觉得秘密进行间谍工作如何?
I'm sorry?
什么?
Their entire case is a store clerk.
案子的关键就是那个店员
I want to put a private investigator on him, follow him.
我决定对他进行个人调查,跟踪他
We pick the opportunity for you to meet him, lunch, perhaps.
我们找机会接近他,比如共进午餐
And then what? Denny Crane.
然后呢?丹尼·克兰在此
Then you order appetizers, elicit some disparaging information,
然后你点些开胃菜和饭前酒,漫不经心地透露出一些讯息
allowing him to believe you're anyone at all
让他相信你可以是任何人...
other than the defendant's lawyer.
但绝对不会是被告的辩护律师
Is that fair?
这样公平吗?
I don't understand the question.
我不明白你这个问题
He says he grew up watching "Perry Mason,"
他说他是看着“佩瑞·梅森”长大的,
and he promised himself he would one day do a criminal trial.
而且发誓有朝一日,一定要做刑事案件
Certainly you're not going to let him.
当然,你不会由着他来的
He seems to have his wits about him.
他看起来心智还在
The truth is is he's probably more equipped than me.
事实上,也许他比我还有把握
I think the best thing would be for me to supervise and let him first chair.
我想最好的办法就是我来监督,然后让他来首席辩护
Edwin
埃德温
Paul
保罗
You really think you're up to this?
你真的认为你能搞定这个吗?
I did clinical work in law school.
我在法学院时做过实习
The rules of evidence are the same as civil.
有关证据的规矩和民事法的一样
There's no great mystery to it.
没什么神秘的
Also...
而且...
he came to me in a dream last night,
昨晚我梦见他了
and he told me to try this case.
他告诉我接下这案子
God?
上帝吗?
Perry
佩瑞
I'll first chair.
还是我来做首席吧
Can I help you?
要点什么?
Whatever's on tap.
随便什么都行
I got it.
了解
How's it going?
你好吗?
Fine, thank you.
不错,谢谢
Sally.
我是Sally
You're...
你很...
very beautiful, but I don't...
很漂亮,但是我不...
do that sort of thing.
做那种事情的
What sort of thing?
哪种事情?
What, you, you think I'm a hooker?
天哪,你,你认为我是妓女?
Here you go.
你的酒
Excuse me, can you throw that in this man's face?
不好意思,你能帮我把这个扔他脸上吗?
I'm sorry, but...
我很抱歉,但是...
but beautiful women don't usually come up to me
但是通常漂亮的女生是不会接近我
and say hi unless...
跟我打招呼,除非...
Well, excuse me for thinking you look like a decent guy.
好吧,就怪我觉得你看起来还算正派
Do you know how hard it is for a girl to just...
你知道一个女生只想安安静静...
go out for a quiet beer by herself without being attacked by wolves?
喝杯啤酒而不被色狼骚扰有多难吗?
I thought you looked safe and nice.
我觉得你看起来是个好人,又有安全感
And you call me a hooker.
你却把我当妓女
Learn anything?
什么收获?
Only his whole life story,
就只有他一生的经历
and no one is bidding for the movie rights, trust me.
没人会想给他改编成电影的,相信我
He collects autographs, has almost 1,200 of them,
他收集名人签名,已经积累了1200多张
including the entire cast of "Mamma Mia!" national tour.
包括一整套"Mamma Mia!"演员签名
Oh, yes, and he's allergic to shellfish. Want more?
啊,还有,他对贝类过敏,还要听吗?
Yes. This is very helpful.
是的,真是帮大忙了
Hello?
喂,你好
It's him.
是他打来的
Hi, Miles. How's it going?
嗨,Miles,你还好吗?
We would like to be able to offer you witnesses.
我们很希望能够提供证人
Unfortunately, there were only two.
但不幸的是,只有两个
One's dead, and the other's on trial.
一个已经死了,而另一个正在被审判
The good news is he confessed,
好消息是他已经认罪
though he now wants to recant.
虽然他现在想要否认
You will hear from the officer who listened to that confession,
你们会听到那个记录供词的警官的说明
You will find it consistent with the truth,
你们会发现这些都是和事实一致的
the truth that on July 17th,
事实就是,在7月17号那一天
the defendant Warren Litch shot dead officer Michael Deveraux.
被告沃伦·利奇射杀了警官Michael Deveraux
Good morning.
早上好
My name is Lori Colson...
我是洛里·科尔森...
Your honor, at this time, I would like to discharge counsel.
法官大人,现在我想要解雇我的辩护律师
Denied. In that case, it should be known
驳回,那么,我觉得有必要申明
that this woman didn't even bother to meet me until yesterday.
这个女人到昨天之前甚至都没见过我
My own lawyer, She didn't even know my name.
我自己的律师甚至不知道我的名字
She is unprofessional, she is unprepared,
她不够专业,她毫无准备
and on top of that, she's fleshy.
而最重要的是,她肉太多了
I want me a thin, wiry attorney, somebody hungry for justice.
我的辩护律师要苗条,骨感,对正义如饥似渴
Motion for new counsel denied.
更换律师提议驳回
May I have a moment with my client, your honor?
法官大人,我能和我的委托人谈会儿吗?
Please.

What the hell was that?
你到底在做什么?
I didn't like the look of the jury.
我不喜欢陪审团的眼光
I was going for a mistrial.
我想要一个无效审判
Well, you didn't get one, did you?
但是你得不到,是吧?
All you did was alienate them and undermine me in the process.
你的所作所为只是疏远陪审团,顺便毁谤我个人
Do you want to go to prison?
你想进监狱吗?
Lady, I'm going to prison.
小姐,我是进定了
I shot a cop.
我打死了一个警察
No doubt I'm going to prison.
牢是坐定了
The only real living I got left is in this trial business,
我这辈子就剩下这场审判了
and I'm happy to stretch it out forever.
我很乐意永远地折腾下去
You think this is some game for you, to have your last joyride?
你认为这是场游戏,让你最后耍一把?
I killed a man, miss Colson.
科尔森小姐,我杀了一个人
And I see his widow sitting in there, and I see his kids.
我看到他的遗孀坐在那,我也看到了他的孩子
I know this ain't no game.
我知道这不是游戏
Son...
孩子...
if I might ask...
如果我能问一句...
why did you call her fleshy?
为什么你说她肉太多?
I was just trying to humanize her.
我只是想幽默她一下
Juries don't like beautiful women.
陪审团不喜欢漂亮的女士
You think I'm fleshy?
你认为我肉多吗?
Is there any deal to be made here, a plea?
现在还能做成什么交易吗,比如协议?
They don't need to deal, Warren. You confessed.
他们不需要什么交易,沃伦 ,你已经认罪了
Another curious strategic move.
现在什么都是徒劳
I only confessed because they tricked me.
我认罪是因为他们耍了我
What do you mean, they tricked you?
你什么意思,他们耍了你?
They got the doctor to tell me I was about to die,
他们让医生对我说我快死了
and then they sent in this cop undercover
然后他们派了个卧底警察
pretending to be the hospital chaplain,
假装成医院的牧师
and he laid it on thick with the whole confess thy sins
对我说生前不坦白所有罪过
or there's no heaven for me.
死后不能上天堂
They told you you were dying to get you to confess?
他们骗你说你快死了,来让你认罪?
Yeah.

And then he pointed to me, right in open court.
然后他就在庭上指着我
What'd you do?
你怎么做的?
I just tried to sit straight and undaunted.
我只是尽量坐得笔直,显得无所畏惧
The chief witness for the prosecution, you know.
我是公诉的主要证人,你知道的
Isn't it exciting?
那不是很刺激吗?
It is.
的确
I...
我...
I even invited a few of my friends to, you know, come watch.
我甚至请了我的一些朋友,你了解的,来旁听
You did? It's silly, I know, but this is the first time
你真的这样做了?这是很蠢,但是这是我生平第一次...
I've been at the center of, of anything.
受到所有人的关注
I'm sure you'll do fine.
我相信你能做得很好
Really? Mm.
真的吗?是的
Yeah. I, I don't think I'll get too nervous.
是的,我,我想我会太紧张的
I take beta blockers for anxiety. Retail must be very stressful.
我服用阻滞剂来缓解忧虑,零售业压力肯定很大
Yes, but I love it.
是的,但是我就是喜欢
Listen, um, you're probably wondering why I asked you to lunch.
可能你会想为什么我请你吃午饭
I just...
我只是...
I, I don't meet too many women.
我,我没有交往过很多女人
It's not what you think, I swear.
我发誓不是像你想的那样
I'm not about to ask you out on a date or anything,
我不是想跟你约会什么的
but I did want to tell you
但是我很想告诉你
how much last night meant to me.
昨晚对我来说是多么有意义
What did it mean? We drank beer.
有什么意义,我们就一起喝了啤酒
Sally...
萨莉...
for, for a beautiful woman to talk to me
一个漂亮的女士和我说话
for three hours as if...
那3个小时就好象...
I were an interesting person,
我真的是一个有趣的人
as if my life were interesting...
就好象我的人生真的那么有趣
That meant something to me.
那对我来说意义重大
That's really all I wanted to say. I,
我想说的是,我
I'm grateful.
我很感激
Cheers.
干杯
Denny
丹尼
I need you at 12:30. It'll take five minutes, tops.
你12点半过来一下,最多5分钟就好
I need to trade a little on your prominence, your heft.
我需要一点你的气魄,你的威势
What do you want me to do?
你想我做什么?
I don't want you to do anything or say anything.
啥都不说,啥都不做
I just want you to be.
只要你在就行
Be all that you can be.
只要做你自己
One of the few, the proud.
一句话,骄傲
You don't want me to say anything?
你不需要我说什么吗?
Just those two little words that tend to shock and awe.
只要那两个词就能让人敬畏了
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Feel free to mock me all you want, but don't you dare ridicule our troops.
你可以尽情的嘲笑我,不过你休想侮辱我们的团队
Just so I'm clear, I should feel free to mock you.
确认一下,我可以尽情嘲笑你是吧
He basically said that he panicked.
他说过那时他完全慌了
His next conviction was strike three.
再次定罪就会满三次
He'd be looking at a life sentence, and he just panicked.
他将面临终生监禁,所以他慌了
And by panicked, you mean...
说到慌了,你是指...
he reached under the seat, retrieved the weapon,
他伸到座位下,拿起武器
and shot the officer.
对着警员开枪
He told you he shot officer Deveraux?
他告诉你说他开枪打了Deveraux警官吗?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生
He asked me to forgive him,
他请求我宽恕他
and he asked god to forgive him.
而且请求上帝宽恕他
Thank you, officer.
谢谢你,警官
Your honor, at this time, I would...
法官大人,现在我想...
Sit!
坐下!
Just to remind the jury,
我只想提醒陪审团
at the time my client said all of this to you,
我当事人在告诉你这一切的时候
he thought he was dying.
他觉得自己快死了
Yes, ma'am.
是的,女士
And he thought you were the hospital chaplain?
而他认为你是医院的牧师
Yes, ma'am.
是的,女士
Thank you, officer.
谢谢你,警官
That's it?
就这样?
Two questions. That was your cross?
2个问题,那就是你的问讯?
I didn't have much to cross him with, Warren.
我没什么好问他的,沃伦
Then what was the point of your questions?
那你这些问题的重点在哪?
Tell me that. I was trying to establish that you were coerced.
告诉我,我在证明你是被迫承认的
The judge doesn't shock easily, but maybe the jury does.
法官不会容易动摇,也许陪审团会
Oh, I see. You were going for shock value.
哦,我了解,你想制造点冲击效果
Well, maybe you could have really gone for it
好吧,也许你真的能办到
and asked three questions.
如果你问3个问题
Hey, Warren, if you're unhappy with me...
嗨,沃伦,如果你看我不顺眼...
Then what?
那又怎样?
The judge isn't gonna let me hire anybody else.
法官不让我请别的人了
You're all I got, lady.
你是我全部的希望,女士
You're all I got.
你是我的全部希望
Well, thank you so much for coming, Alan Shore.
感谢你的到来,我是Alan Shore
The D.A. said I didn't have to talk to you.
地方检查官说我没必要跟你谈的
Which only compounds my gratitude for your choosing to do so.
如果愿意的你话,我将不胜感激
Let's go to my office.
到我办公室去吧
What's this about?
什么事情?
Well, believe it or not, it's about your best interest, Miles.
不管你相不相信,这是你最感兴趣的事,Miles
Gosh, my office seems so far away.
天啊,我的办公室还真是遥远
Let's go to this one over here instead.
干脆还是到这间好了
Sally Heep, Miles Tibbet. Perhaps you've met.
也许你们见过, Sally过来认识一下
Sally gets around. She works with me.
她为我工作
And certainly you've heard of this gentleman.
当然你肯定听说过这位先生
Denny Crane He needs no introdtion. Denny Crane.
不用我介绍了
Please have a seat.
请坐吧
Alan...
艾伦...
Thank you, Sally, I'll take it from here.
谢谢你,萨莉,现在我来处理就好
You've done more than your share.
你已经尽力了
Let's make this brief, Miles.
Miles我们长话短说吧
We represent a woman who is charged with stealing a scarf
我们的当事人被指控从你的商场
from the store where you work,
偷了条围巾
which is precisely what she did. You saw the whole thing.
正好被你看到全部过程
So we find ourselves between a rock and a hard place, Miles.
现在我们进退两难,Miles
The rock being our client, CEO of a fortune 500 company
一面是我们的客户,财富五百强公司的CEO
who has made it abundantly clear the only acceptable verdict is not guilty.
清楚地表示唯一可以接受的判决,只有无罪释放
And the hard place being you, Miles, the eyewitness.
另一面就是你了,Miles,我们的目击证人
But maybe you aren't so hard after all? Am I right?
但是也许你不会太为难我们,是吧
I'm not sure what you want.
我不太清楚
Sally has given me some information which, regrettably,
萨莉告诉我的一些信息,真令人遗憾
I'm ethically required to attack you with in court.
按道理说我应该在法庭上攻击你的
For example, since I know you take beta blockers for your anxiety.
比如说,既然我知道你因忧虑而服用阻滞剂
some possible side effects being dizziness, confusion,
其副作用可能会让人头晕,或神志不清
I am duty bound to raise it.
我就有责任提出来
Also, the idea that you invited
而且,关于你邀请...
a few friends down to the courthouse to hear you testify...
一些朋友到庭旁听你做证...
it would be malpractice for me not to make a small snack of that.
如果我对此不做一点小猜测的话,就是我的失职了
Of course, I'll have to get into your inferiority complex and
当然我必须提到你的自卑感和...
Staff about "If the girl smiles, she must be a hooker" that sort of thing.
“如果那姑娘笑了,那她肯定是个妓女”之类的事情
But I never said...
但是我从来没说过...
I'm talking, Miles.
我在说话,Miles
Alan...
艾伦...
I'm talking, Sally.
我在说话,萨莉
You collect autographs, Miles. That must be fun.
你收集签名,萨莉,那肯定很有趣
Standing around on cold, drizzly nights
在凄风冷雨夜里游荡...
waiting for famous people to give you a cursory glance,
就为了等那些名人的匆匆一瞥
a moment of their time, perhaps, if they take pity on you.
如果他们同情你的话,也许他们会花上那么点时间的
Do people often take pity on you, Miles?
你经常得到人们的同情吗,Miles?
It wouldn't surprise me. I'm seeing a pattern here.
我不感到奇怪,我看到的确实如此
Pity, anxiety, inferiority all those "-ity" words.
可怜,忧虑,自卑,所有那些悲伤的词汇
This isn't fair! You're right, it's not.
这不公平,你说对了,的确不公平
But you have a job to do and so do I.
但是你要做好你的工作,我也要
Yours is to sell socks and suspenders.
你的是卖袜子和吊袜带
Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them.
我的是交叉询问像你这样的人,然后碾碎他们
This man here would fire me if I didn't.
如果我不这样做,这个男人就会把我炒掉
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
He would fire me, Miles,
他会炒了我,Miles
if I didn't explore every nuance and shadow of your personality,
如果我没在你坐证人席上的几小时内...
every secret place and insufficiency in the hours
把你性格上的任何一点微妙扭曲和阴暗部分...
that you will spend in that witness chair, Miles,
以及每一个秘密角落揭发出来
in front of all those friends you invited.
当着所有你请来的朋友的面
And when I'm finished with you,
当我结束对你的问讯后
even they will believe you are a vindictive, pathetic little sycophant
甚至连他们也会相信你是个可悲的可怜虫
who has falsely accused,
错误地指控
and probably framed a fine woman
也许是诬陷了一位受人尊敬的女士
for something she never did and never would do
她从没做过的罪名
only so that you could get, at long last, your moment of attention.
因为只有这样,你才能抓住这仅有,的机会获得大家的关注
By the time I'm done,
当我做到那个地步的时候
I'll have you believing you put that scarf in her handbag.
我会让你相信是你自己,把那条围巾放进她的包里
Lee Tyler can afford to hire any attorney in the world.
李·泰勒请得起世界上任何一个辩护律师
She's chosen me.
她选择了我
Do you wonder if I'm any good, Miles?
你想知道我好在哪里吗,Miles?
Do you really wonder?
你真的想知道?
May I speak with you a moment? I don't wanna speak with you, Alan.
能和你谈会吗?我不想和你说话,艾伦
If I told you Miles was coming... I do not want to speak with you.
如果我告诉你Miles会来...,我不想和你说话
Can you please walk away?
请你走开行吗?
Sally, that was not a pleasant meeting.
萨莉那不是什么让人愉快的谈话
Typically, when associates are unhappy, I give them a hug.
一般来说,当我的伙伴不高兴的时候,我会给他们一个拥抱
I don't want a hug, Mr. Crane.
克兰先生,我不需要什么拥抱
Okay.
好吧
May I have one?
那你能给我一个吗?
They told me that he was religious,
他们告诉我他是信教的
that maybe if he though the was about to die,
当他意识到自己快死的时候也许...
his conscience would get the better of him.
他的良心会让他作出正确选择
So you told Mr. Litch was dying.
所以你告诉利奇先生他快死了
Yeah. I'm not proud of it,
是的,我并不以此为荣
but I probably should have...
但是我也许应该...
and, doctor, did you also hear Mr. Litch
医生,你听到利奇先生承认...
confess to killing officer Deveraux?
是他杀了Deveraux警官吗?
Yes.
是的
You're sure?
你确定?
I'm very positive.
非常肯定
Thank you, doctor.
谢谢你,医生
Okay, how long had he treated you before...
他骗你你还能活多久...
In fact, you told him he had less than an hour to live.
事实上,你告诉他活不过一个小时
Yes.
是的
You lied to your own patient?
你对你自己的病人撒谎?
They told me that he had murdered a police officer...
他们告诉我他谋杀了一位警官...
As a result of this despicable conduct,
作为这种卑鄙行为的后果
were you disciplined by the hospital?
你受到医院的处罚了吗?
My privileges were suspended for three months.
我的执照被暂停了3个月
And you're back in the E.R. now.
而你现在已经回到急诊室了
No, no.
不,不
I've started my residency in the neurology department.
我只是开始在神经科做住院医生
Your specialty is the brain.
你的专长是脑科?
Yes. Doctor, as a neurologist,
是的,医生,作为一名神经科专家
how does trauma and extensive blood loss affect the brain?
外伤和大量失血会对大脑产生什么影响?
Uh, sometimes it can compromise mental function.
呃,有时会损害精神官能
Can it cause a person to become delusional?
会让人产生错觉吗?
I don't believe he was delusional that night.
我不认为那天晚上他是产生错觉
Did he suffer trauma and extensive blood loss? Yes.
他的确是受了外伤还有大量失血吗?是的
Yes, he, he did, but I...
是的,他的确如此,但是我...
can you state to a medical certainty that he was not delusional?
你能作出确切的医学诊断来证明他,没有产生错觉吗?
No.
不能
One last question and this one I ask you as a layperson, a human being.
最后一个问题,请你做为一个医学外行,一个普通人来考虑
Is it conceivable to you that if you had a loved one who had panicked
是否有可能,你所爱的人惊慌失措
and committed a horrible crime, say, murder...
犯下了一桩可怕的罪案,比如谋杀
if somebody you cared deeply for, perhaps a brother, best friend,
而他是你所深爱的人,你的兄弟,你最好的朋友
maybe your son had done thihorrible thing,
也许是你的儿子,做了这么可怕的事情
and you lay in a hospital bed dying,
而你躺在医院的病床上,奄奄一息
Is it conceivable that knowing you were dying,
是否有可能,你知道自己将不久于人世
you might take the blame for something you didn't do
会认下自己从没做过的事情
just to spare your loved one a life sentence?
就只为了帮你所爱的人免去,一生的牢狱之灾?
Objection! Sustained.
反对!反对有效
Did it ever occur to you that night, doctor?
医生,那天晚上是否听到
Warren Litch said he committed the crime
沃伦·利奇说他认罪
simply to protect somebody else?
只是为了保护其他人?
No. No, it didn't.
不,没有这回事
I bet it never occurred to the police, either.
我打赌警察也不会注意
Nothing further.
我问完了
Mr. Preston?
普勒斯顿先生?
The prosecution rests, your honor.
原告请求休庭,法官大人
Ms. Colson?
科尔森女士?
The defense rests, your honor.
被告同意休庭,法官大人
How do I not get in that chair?
为什么不让我做证?
Edwin did a good job.
埃德温已经做得很好了
If I don't say I didn't do it, they're not...
如果我不说我没做,他们就不会...
I can't put you in that chair. Why?
我不能让你那么做,为什么?
Because you did do it,
因为你的确杀了人
and I can't put a witness in the chair to lie.
我不能让证人撒谎
I have a right to testify.
我有做证的权利
But it would have to be in the narrative.
但你必须陈述事实
Best case scenario, you'll trip all over yourself.
最好的情况,你的话自相矛盾
Worst case, one of the jurors will know why it's in the narrative.
最坏的情况,一名陪审员发现你矛盾的原因
And why can't you ask me questions that would allow...
那你为什么不能问我问题,让我...
Because I can't.
因为我不能
We have rules, Warren.
行有行规,沃伦
One is I cannot put you up there to knowingly lie.
其中一条就是我不能明知你会撒谎,还让你作证
Our best strategy here would be to argue
我们最好的策略就是抓住
the prosecution didn't satisfy its burden.
公诉人没有履行他们的义务这一点
This is my life on the line here,
我已经是命悬一线了
and you keep talking about a system of rules and regulations?
你还跟我讨论规则,惯例?
I'm in this for my life here.
我这么做是为了我的后半生
And you're supposed to be in this for my life, too.
你的责任也应该让你这么做
Well, I'm not.
我不会
Don't get me wrong, I will give you the very best defense I know how,
别误会,我会帮你做最好的辩护
but I will not allow myself to be in this for you.
但我不会允许自己做其他事情
I will play my part in a system
我会在我立志效忠的体系里
that I have an enormous allegiance to,
扮演好我的角色
but I will never be in this for you.
但是我决不会为你再做其他的
Hey.

That was pretty awesome today, Edwin.
你今天做的很棒,埃德温
People forget I'm a brilliant trial attorney.
人们都忘记我是个有才华的律师了
I can be nuts and still brilliant.
我可以是疯子,但依旧才华横溢
How do you feel about closing?
结案陈词你要怎么做?
If you can close like you crossed, then...
如果你能像交叉询问那样陈词,那么...
That was Perry's strength, you know, the closing.
佩瑞的强项,结案陈词
What do you think?
你怎么想?
I told the man I'd get him a "not guilty,"
我说过会让他无罪释放的
I might as well see it through.
我还是有始有终的好
It's hard, isn't it?
这很难,不是吗?
What is?
什么很难?
Coming to care for a person who committed such a heinous act.
帮助一个罪大恶极的人
It's hard to reconcile what we do and who we are sometimes.
有时候不违背自己的意志做事真的很难
I don't care about him.
我不是在乎他
I'm just doing a job.
我只是在做自己的工作
You know, in Perry's closings, he would point to the real killer.
你知道,当Perry做结案陈词时,他肯定会把矛头指向凶手
I don't suppose I should do that, should I?
我要那么做吗?
Tibbet's a good man, Alan, decent.
Tibbet是个好人,艾伦,很正派
He was just doing his job.
他只是在做他的工作
Yes, he was, and so were you, and so was I.
是的,他是,你我都是
And after ambushing him, you can just shake it off?
而你陷害他之后,就这么一走了之
I'm not shaking anything off.
我没那么做
Miles Tibbet had a very bad day.
Miles Tibbet今天过得很糟
I had a bad day, too, Alan.
我今天也很难熬,艾伦
I was taken advantage of.
我被利用了
Or don't you considersending me
或者你根本就没考虑到我...
to go hit on some guy at a bartaking advantage?
这样不明不白地就被耍了
It has nothing to with what I consider.
我本来不打算这样的
Whatever.
随便你怎么说
It's not the kind of thing you ask of someone that you care about.
对你真正在意的人,你是不会这么做的
Do you care about me, Alan?
你在乎我吗,艾伦?
I care a great deal for you.
非常地在乎
That's why I'm gonna give you some very sound advice.
所以我才要给你一个忠告
Run.
离开吧
What? This is a bad business.
什么?这工作很肮脏
It is an often filthy,
充满了丑陋...
dehumanizing, mean-spirited job.
没有人性,卑鄙的勾当
I assure you I take no pleasure in it.
我没有从中得到乐趣
It just comes easily to me.
我只是很容易适应
But... you... are not that way.
但是你...不是那种人
So I suggest you think long and hard
所以我建议你仔细的好好想想
about whether you really wanna wake up every morning,
你是否真的愿意每天早上醒来
with all the promise that morning conveys,
带着晨祷时许下的所有承诺
and come here.
来到这里
Which I say to you...
我这么告诉你...
only because I care.
完全是因为我在乎你
You are such a liar,
你这个大骗子
pretending that this stuff doesn't affect you,
假装这些事情根本不会影响到你
that you can just brush it off.
你能就这么抛在脑后
I'm afraid I can.
我想我可以
You heard from witness Frank Simmons,
你们已经听过弗兰克·西蒙斯的证词了
who saw an SUV speed by him
大约就在凶案发生时
a mile from the scene around the time of the murder
他在离案发现场一英里处,看见一辆SUV飞快地驶离...
with a license plate beginning with "3L6."
车牌是以“3L6”开头的
Mr. Litch's SUV has a license plate beginning with "3L6."
利奇先生的SUV牌照也是以“3L6”开头
And when the police entered the defendant's apartment,
而当警察闯入被告的公寓时
what did he do?
他是什么反应?
He didn't ask, "what's this about?"
他没有问,这是怎么回事?
He didn't say, "hey, what's going on?"
没有问,嘿,你们要干吗?
He knew exactly why they were there.
他很清楚为什么警察会出现
And he immediately began his escape.
然后他决定马上逃跑
And then, in the hospital, he confessed.
接下来,在医院里,他认罪了
It wasn't a delusional confession.
不是因为错觉才招供
He described a fact pattern which was completely consistent with the crime.
他详细描述了他所犯下的罪行
The defendant admitted that he was afraid of yet
被告承认了他当时是因为害怕...
another drug conviction that would land him a life sentence.
再次被定贩毒罪,从而被判终生监禁
He panicked, pulled out a gun, and fired.
他慌了,掏出枪,开火
Now his lawyer suggests
而现在他的辩护律师说
he was perhaps delusional when he confessed,
也许他在供认时,产生了错觉
or that he simply lied to protect the real killer, a friend or loved one.
或者他只是想保护一个朋友,一个爱人,而撒谎顶罪
It's insulting to this court, to you,
这侮辱了法庭,还有你们
and especially to that woman and her two children.
尤其是侮辱了那位女士和她的2个孩子
Warren Litch murdered her husband.
沃伦·利奇谋杀了她的丈夫
Warren Litch killed their father.
沃伦·利奇杀害了他们的父亲
He admitted to the police that he did so.
他已经向警察供认了罪行
Let's not waste any more time.
没必要再浪费时间了
Edwin
埃德温
It's your turn.
该你了
I fell asleep last night and forgot to prepare a closing.
我昨晚睡着了,忘了准备结案陈词
I meant to tell you.
我本来想告诉你的
You don't have a closing?
你没有结案陈词?
No, do you?
没有,你有吗?
Counsel?
辩方?
Edwin, you've got nothing?
埃德温你什么都没准备?
When I was a little boy, my father said to me.
当我还是个孩子时,我父亲对我说过...
I can still hear his voice. I believe he said,
我现在依然记得...他肯定是说...
"Ladies first."
女士优先
I don't know about you,
我不知道你们怎么看
but if I hear that somebody confessed to a crime,
但是如果我听说某人承认犯罪了
I just assume he's guilty.
我会认为他是真的有罪
But if I hear the confession is coerced, then...
但是如果我知道他是被迫的,那么
for example,
比如说...
you could have a man bleeding out with a stomach wound,
一个腹部伤口流血不止的人
put him in a room with police and clergy
被一屋子的警察和牧师
who keep insisting to him that he did something,
坚持指认他做了某件事
and he might actually come to believe it.
也许他就会信以为真
And gee, what if it was a friend or a loved one
如果他的好友或亲人
who was driving Warren's car that night?
刚好那天晚上开了沃伦的车
That would explain why Warren was trying to flee, wouldn't it?
那就能解释为什么沃伦会想要逃了,不是吗?
He likely knew the police were coming to mistakenly arrest him.
他能预感地到警察会错误地逮捕他
Did the police investigate any of this?
警察调查过这些吗?
My god, we all assume Warren litch is guilty,
上帝,我们全都认为沃伦·利奇有罪
but what if he isn't?
但是如果他没有呢?
Now let's turn to the other evidence.
现在我们再来看看其他证据
Wait...
等等...
There is no other evidence.
没有其他证据
No gun, no witnesses, no fibers, no forensics.
没有枪,没有目击证人,没有纤维,没有法医鉴定
All they have is that coerced confession.
有的只是一份被迫做出的供词
Now, you might think he did it.
你们可能认为是他做的
And if you're determined, you can even still assume it, I suppose.
甚至认为这是理所当然的
But if you're to uphold the law and
但是如果你相信法律
demand proof beyond all reasonable doubt,
要求用证据以排除所有合理疑点
and if we don't demand that,
当我们放弃这种要求时
do we really wanna send a message to the police...
我们真的希望对警察说...
"Hey, forget the evidence.
嘿,去它的证据
Just bring us that confession."
只要口供就好
They really should give you your own office.
他们真应该给你一个专用办公室
Evidently, the store clerk has recanted.
显然,那个商场职员翻供了
He's suddenly not sure he saw Lee Tyler take the scarf.
他突然间又不确定是否真的看见,李·泰勒偷那条围巾了
The case might even be dropped. It's a great country.
案子就这么结了,这真是个伟大的国家
The district attorney has lodged a complaint against you
地方检查官已经投诉你了
for witness tampering, intimidation, obstruction of justice, extortion.
罪名是干扰、恐吓证人,妨碍司法公正,还有勒索
He should make up his mind.
他应该挑出重点
This firm does not engage in that kind of conduct, counsel.
这间公司不会参与那些行为,律师
We do not intimidate or blackmail.
我们绝不会恐吓或勒索
The attorney sat Crane, Poole & Schmidt
克兰,普尔和施密特律师行的律师
conduct themselves with integrity always.
行事总是诚实而又光明磊落的
Do I make myself clear?
我说得够明白吗?
More than clear.
非常明白
Transparent.
清晰透彻
Go.
走吧
Mr. Shore,
肖尔先生
thank you.
谢谢你
Madam Foreperson, the jury has reached a unanimous verdict?
陪审团主席,陪审团已经做出一致裁定了吗?
We have, your honor.
是的,法官大人
Mr. Litch, please rise.
利奇先生,请起立
Madam Foreperson, what say you?
陪审团主席,你们的裁决是?
We the jury,
陪审团决定
in the matter of the commonwealth of Massachusetts versus Warren Litch,
马萨诸塞州诉沃伦·利奇一案
on the charge of first-degree murder,
一级谋杀的指控
we find the defendant Warren Litch guilty.
裁定被告沃伦·利奇,有罪
Members of the jury, I would like to thank you for your service in this matter.
陪审团的各位成员,感谢你们为本案做出的努力
You are hereby excused.
你们可以解散了
Please be sure to sign out with the courtroom deputy
请到法庭代表处签出
so you are credited for your time here.
以便记录你们已履行义务
The defendant is to be retained in county until sentencing,
被告在判决前将被移交回县里
which shall be scheduled within 60 days' time.
判决将在60天内做出
If that is all, then we are adjourned.
如果没有异议,我们就此休庭
Listen, um,
听着,呃
I'll review any grounds for appeal.
我会尽一切可能帮你上诉的
The confession, I mean, there are grounds.
那个供认,还有回旋余地
Okay. Okay.
好,好
I'll be in touch. I'll order up the transcript.
我会和你联络,我会申请案件记录抄本
Listen, um,
听着,呃
I thought for somebody who felt the way you felt,
我从你的感受想过
it was honorable for you to try your hardest.
你能尽力就是很可敬的了
And I know that you did.
而我知道你已经尽力了
Thank you.
谢谢你
Unprofessional for me not to be prepared with my closing.
没有准备结案陈词是我的失职
I think I'll perhaps go back to the hospital,
我想我可能还得回医院去
get a little tune-up.
稍微休整一下
Surely you're feeling better about things.
你应该感觉能看开点了
I've plied you with alcohol.
我用酒精安抚了你
I'm sorry.
我很抱歉
It suddenly occurred to me, Alan,
我突然间想到,艾伦
you weren't using me at all.
你根本不是在利用我
You were using Miles.
你是在利用Miles
How so?
怎么说?
I think...
我想...
he was some sort of device for you to look despicable in my eyes.
他只是个被你利用的工具,好让我觉得你卑鄙
It's your pattern with women,
你就是这么对付女人的...
I think, to get them to...
我想,就是让她们...
You know when you psychoanalyze me,
你知道当你剖析我的内心世界时...
I find you much less sexually attractive.
我对你的欲望要少了很多
Yes, nice deflection, but...
是的,很好的转移了话题,但是...
Don't try and get in my head, Sally.
别想钻进我的脑袋,萨莉
You won't like the mess.
你不会喜欢那一团糟的
You weren't telling me to run from the law the other night.
那天晚上你不是要我离开律师这一行
You were telling me to run from you.
你是要我离开你
Maybe you think it's my relationship with you
也许你觉得我跟你交往
that's ultimately dehumanizing.
会让我失去人性
So being an incredibly decent man,
所以作为一个不可思议的好人
which you are underneath all your stuff,
就是你,无论你怎么去掩饰
you decided to warn me.
你决定警告我
I'm not trying to push you away.
我不是想把你推开
Are you trying to keep me?
那你想留住我?
We either go forward or go in opposite direction,
我们要么更进一步,要么后退
because I don't like where we are now.
因为我一点也不喜欢我们现在的关系
What forward do you mean?
更进一步,意思是?
You know what?
你知道吗?
I think I'll just move forward.
我想我可以先走一步了

分享到
重点单词
  • consistentadj. 始终如一的,一致的,坚持的
  • delayv. 耽搁,推迟,延误 n. 耽搁,推迟,延期
  • brilliantadj. 卓越的,光辉的,灿烂的 n. 宝石
  • clausen. 条款,款项,[语]从句,分句
  • curiousadj. 好奇的,奇特的
  • sustainedadj. 持久的,经久不衰的
  • moralsn. 道德
  • intimidatevt. 威胁,恐吓,胁迫
  • bailn. 杓,保释,保证金,担保人,把手 vt. 往外舀水,
  • defensen. 防卫,防卫物,辩护 vt. 防守