经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第483期
日期:2019-11-20 11:12

(单词翻译:单击)

When I got there, I was forced to sit to rest me under the hedge;
到了那里,我不得不坐到树篱下歇口气。
and while I sat, I heard wheels, and saw a coach come on.
正坐着,我听见了车轮声,看到一辆公共马车向我驶来。
I stood up and lifted my hand; it stopped.
我站起来招了招手,它停了下来。
I asked where it was going: the driver named a place a long way off,
我问车子开往哪里,赶车人说了一个离这儿很远的地名,
and where I was sure Mr. Rochester had no connections.
我确信罗切斯特先生跟那里没有联系。
I asked for what sum he would take me there; he said thirty shillings;
我问出多少钱才肯把我送往那里,他说三十先令。
I answered I had but twenty; well, he would try to make it do.
我回答只有二十,好吧,他说勉强算数了。

经典文学《简·爱》

He further gave me leave to get into the inside, as the vehicle was empty:
因为车是空的,他又允许我坐在里边。
I entered, was shut in, and it rolled on its way.
我走进去,关上门,车子便滚滚向前了。
Gentle reader, may you never feel what I then felt!
好心的读者呀,但愿你从来没有感受到过我当时的心情!
May your eyes never shed such stormy, scalding, heart-wrung tears as poured from mine.
但愿你两眼从没像我那样泪如雨下,淌了那么多灼热揪心的眼泪。
May you never appeal to Heaven in prayers so hopeless and so agonised as in that hour left my lips;
愿你从来不必像我当时那么倾吐绝望而痛苦的祈祷,向上天求助。
for never may you, like me, dread to be the instrument of evil to what you wholly love.
愿你永远不必像我这样担心会给你全身心爱着的人带来灾祸。

分享到