(单词翻译:单击)
中英文本
I am a father
我是一名父亲
BY BILLY MERRIFIELD
文/比利·梅里菲尔德
(The caption for the page and half photograph accompanying this items says)
(本文附一张一页半的插图,说明文字如下)
MERRIFIELD, 43, a captain with the Rio Arriba County sheriff's office in New Mexico, visiting the grave of his daughter Brandi on Feb.4.
2月4日,43岁的梅里·菲尔德,新墨西哥州里奥阿里巴县治安官办公室的队长,去了他女儿布兰迪的坟前祭奠她 。
She died from a heroin overdose at age 22.
她22岁时过量摄入毒品去世 。
(BILLY MERRIFIELD WRITES)AS MY DAUGHTER STARTED GETTING older, in high school, the boyfriend thing came around.
(正文如下)我女儿逐渐长大成人,高中时,谈恋爱的问题出现了 。
She ended up meeting one of these guys who was a user.
最后,她和一个吸毒的在一起了 。
And of course, once she hit 18, it was kind of difficult to give her direction.
当然了,成年之后,你要再想让她听话就难了 。
Anytime I confronted her, she would deny it.
每次我问起她,她都会否认 。
I mean, she was always telling me, "Dad, I made a mistake. I don't need help. I tried it a few times. I'm going to stay away from it."
她总跟我说,“爸爸,我是犯了一个错误 。但我不需要帮助 。我只试了几次 。我戒了就是了 。”
That was her constant: "Trust me, Dad, I can fight this. I can beat it."
她总说:“相信我,爸爸,我能扛过去的 。我能戒掉 。”
I remember telling her one day, "I'm to the point that I'm preparing myself for getting a bad phone call about you."
记得,有一次,我对她说,“我已经到了要做好哪天接到电话被告知你遭遇不测的准备的地步了 。”
So I kind of prepared myself for it.
所以我也算是做了一些心理准备 。
You can be as mentally and physically tough as you want to be.
无论你想把自己的身心变得多强大,你都能做到 。
I think I've seen a lot.
我以为我见过的世面已经够多了 。
I've probably seen a lot more than a lot of people.
我见过的世面可能比很多人都要大得多 。
And I've experienced a ton.
我也经历了很多 。
You can't prepare for it, though.
但你还是做不好准备 。
When it comes to your own child, I cannot express the feeling and the loss.
这件事发生在自己孩子身上时,那种感受,那种失落是无以言表的 。
It never gets easier.
你永远都无法走出伤痛 。
Because that void will always be there.
因为那个缺失永远都抹不去 。
Our children are supposed to bury us—we're not supposed to bury them.
本应该是黑发人送白发人,而不应该是白发人送黑发人 。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载 。
重点讲解
1. a captain with 机长;船长
Vic Hooper flew as a captain with Asiana until two years ago.
直到两年前,维克. 霍普曾经是韩亚航空的机长 。
2. die from 死于
More than 3,400 people in West Africa have died from the disease.
西非已有3400多人死于埃博拉 。
3. come around 出现;到来
When 2010 came around, we beat that mark by 17 times over.
到了2010年,我们超过了那个指标16倍还多 。
4. be to the point that 到了……的地步
It's gotten busier and busier to the point that now there's a line in front almost all the time.
那家店人气越来越高,以致于现在店铺门口几乎一直有人在排队 。