(单词翻译:单击)
Hunting elephants with a camera Martin Johnson
摄像机猎象记 马丁·约翰逊
Perhaps you have thought that the only way to hunt animals is with a gun,
也许你认为捕猎野生动物的唯一方式是带上枪,
but Martin Johnson and his wife, Osa, spent many years hunting them with a camera.
但是马丁. 约翰逊和他的妻子奥萨常年以来却一直在使用一台摄像机捕猎大象 。
In this story he tells you why camera- hunting is far more dangerous and thrilling than hunting to kill.
在这个故事里,他会告诉你为什么用摄像机捕猎动物比猎杀更加危险,更加刺激 。
He also tells some most surprising things about elephants.
同时,他也介绍了关于大象的一些不为人知的事情 。
A close call
近距离接触
My wife, Osa, and I were camera hunting in Africa.
在非洲,我的妻子奥萨和我是“摄像机猎手” 。
Boculy, the native whom we had engaged to find elephants for us, came running into camp greatly excited.
我们邀请的帮我们寻找大象的当地人鲍可利激动地冲进营地 。
He was out of breath and raised and lowered his hands exclaiming jerkily in Swahili,
他气喘吁吁地挥舞着手臂,用他的母语斯瓦希里语,激动地大声喊道:
his native language: Big el-ephants-big elephants-all together-very quiet-come quickly!
“大象——大象——全在一起——非常安静——快跟我来!”
In a few moments we had our gun bearers and camera boys with their heavy loads under way.
几分钟后,我们叫上帮我们保管枪支和摄像设备的男孩,带着重重的行囊上路了 。
Shortly after, we came up with the herd.
不久,我们便追上了象群 。
There were seven animals quietly feeding on the edge of the forest.
在森林的边缘,我们一共发现七头大象在安静地进食 。
Three were cows, and two were bulls-big fellows. Two totos or babies, wandered about in the tall grass.
三头母象,两头公象,这都是些大家伙 。旁边,还有两头“图图”,也就是小象,徜徉在高大的热带草丛中 。
The elephant herd was ideally placed for still pictures, but we wanted action;
要是拍静态照片的话,那么象群现在的状态就十分理想,但我们需要它们动起来 。
so leaving Osa at the camera, I walked forward to stir things up a bit.
我把奥萨安排在摄像机跟前拍摄,而我自己走上前,想让大象们稍稍动起来一点儿 。