(单词翻译:单击)
The Taxi Driver
出租车司机
Peter's job was driving a taxi downtown.
彼得的工作是在市中心开出租车。
He made a small salary.
他的薪水很少。
But he liked his job because it wasn't dull.
但他喜欢他的工作,因为它并不枯燥。
Every day, he saw new things that appealed to him.
每天,他都能看到吸引他的新事物。
Peter was practical about the future.
彼得对待未来很务实。
"Maybe I can get a scholarship for college,"he thought.
“也许我能拿到大学奖学金,”他想。
"I could study accounting and get a job at a bank.
“我可以学会计,然后在银行找份工作。
I could help clients invest their money."
我可以帮助客户进行投资。”
Peter stopped to pick up a passenger.
彼得停下来让一位乘客上车。
"Where to?"he asked.
“去哪儿?”他问。
“Go to the Fourth Street Bank.
“到第四街银行去。
And don't talk to me.
别跟我说话。
I've had a rough day,” the man said.
我今天过得很不顺。”那人说。
Peter was a peaceful person, so he was not angry.
彼得是个性情平和的人,所以他没有生气。
When they stopped, the man's fare came to S10.25.
当他们停下来时,这个人的车费是10美分25美分。
He put his hands in his pockets.
他把手插在口袋里。
"I can't find my wallet!"he said. "I can't pay the fare!"
“我找不到钱包了!”他说。“我付不起车费!”
Peter said,"Ill give you a temporary loan.
彼得说:“我暂时借给你一笔钱。
You can borrow ten dollars and a quarter from me."
你可以向我借10美元25美分。”
The man was embarrassed and said,"I was mean to you, but now I want to help you.
那人不好意思地说:“我之前对你很刻薄,现在我想帮助你。
I founded this bank. I want to give you a hundred dollars."
我创立了这家银行。我想给你一百美元。”
That much money was like a treasure to Peter.
那笔钱对彼得来说就像一笔财富。
The man urged him to take the money, but he didn't.
那人劝他收下钱,但他没有。
"You're an honest person,"the man said. "I assumed you would take it.
“你是个诚实的人,”那人说。“我认为你会接受这个。
I want you to work for me"
我想让你为我工作。”
The next day, Peter started his job at the bank.
第二天,彼得开始了他在银行的工作。
He was happy to leave his former job.
他很高兴离开原来的工作。
