波士顿法律第一季(MP3+中英字幕):第14集 艾伦酒吧斗殴
日期:2017-02-07 15:08

(单词翻译:单击)

When a man turns 40, he begins to take measure of themselves
当一个男人40岁的时候,他们通常会开始审视自己
I must admit I'd like what I see
我必须承认我很喜欢我现在的样子
You're turning 43.
你快43岁了
If you don't mind, I'm trying to appear vulnerable
如果你不介意,我正表现成易被你诱惑的
to facilitate my snorkeling up your thigh bone later.
稍候我的潜艇更容易开进你的裙底
Alan, you boyfriend,
艾伦,你是我的男朋友
me girlfriend.
我是你的女朋友
You have a season's pass.
你想怎么样都行
You're ruining the conquest part,
你正破坏征服的过程
which is all it's really about for me.
那才是我所关心的
Really?
真的么
Well, how about a little play acting, then?
那不如来玩个游戏吧
Only if this time, I get to be the sheep.
这一次听你的
I'm gonna sit over there
我坐到那边
and pretend to be alone.
假装独自一人
And you're gonna approach me, being the stranger that you are,
而你是要接近我的陌生人
and conquest me.
来征服我吧
Don't be silly.
别傻了
No, I'd like to see how you operate, Mr. Shore.
不,我就想看你如何表现,肖尔先生
How are you doing?
你好啊
Fine, thank you.
不错,谢谢
I'm Joe.
我叫乔
I'm with somebody.
我有伴了
Who?
是谁
Hello, I'm a complete stranger.
你好,我完全是个陌生人
And I'm here to pick you up.
我是来钓你的
Oh, I see. There's two of us.
哦,我明白了,我们两人都想钓你
I'll be evens, you be odds.
我们都有机会
You got a problem?
有问题么
No, actually.
不,实际上
I just saw this fair maiden here talking to a tree trunk,
我正好看到这位美女在和树干讲话
and since I'm an arborist, I thought I could help translate.
因为我是树艺学家,我想我能帮忙翻译
Here's a health tip.
给你个忠告
Walk away. Why would I do that?
走开,为什么我走开
All right, guys.
好吧,老兄
Don't be deceived by my cushy appearance.
别被我随意的外表欺骗了
Excuse me.
抱歉
I actually am with him. I don't care.
我的确是和他一起的,我才不在乎
Walk away, or I lay you out.
走开,否则把你打翻
I don't mean to be a stickler, but isn't the object to lay her out?
我不故意出难题,可你的目标不是和她上床么
Hey!

Oh, gee, I'm sorry, I was reaching for my wallet.
哦,糟了,很抱歉,我只想拿我的钱包
I see.
明白了
Allow me to reach for mine.
我只想拿我的钱包
Are you all right?
你还好么
Fine.
没事
Hello, big people.
你好,大个子
Sorry to intrude, but you seem rather strapping.
抱歉打扰你了,可你看上去相当魁梧
Here's $300.
这是300美元
Would you be so kind as to go hit that man down there?
你愿意把那个男人放倒么
Alan Really?
艾伦,你说真的么
There's an extra $100 if he goes down.
这是额外的100美元,如果他倒下的话
You're on.
成交
Make it a good one. Oh, for god's sakes.
好好表现,哦,看在上帝的份上
Here's $100, go help your friend.
这是100美元,去帮帮你朋友
Gee, it seems Joe has buddies.
糟了,好象乔有帮手
One for you, one for you, I got plenty of them.
这给你,这给你,我有很多帮手了
Hit them hard now. For you and for you.
现在狠狠的打吧,给你,给你
You don't think the evening was slightly symptomatic of something?
你不认为昨晚的事说明了什么吗
You take me to a college frat bar, and you start a fight.
你带我去大学生联谊酒吧,而你却挑起了群架
I did not start it.
我可没有挑起它
You certainly did start it. Alan, wonderful news.
你的确挑起了,艾伦,好消息
The Kerwin deposition has been cancelled.
科尔温的证词被取消了
You don't have to go.
你不必去了
Your morning is now free,
今早你可以休息了
which works out because it seems these
这也是因为
two police officers are here to arrest you.
似乎这两位警官是来逮捕你的
Are you Alan Shore?
你是艾伦·肖尔么
My, aren't you clever?
啊,你没脑子么
I bet you make detective one day.
我怀疑你将来能否成为侦探
Was my calling him Alan a clue?
我叫他艾伦不就是线索了么
Please place your hands behind your back.
请把你的手放到背后
Why?
为什么
Sir, please. You're under arrest
先生,你被捕了
for conspiracy to commit assault and battery.
因为你是欧打罪的同谋
You have the right to remain silent.
你有权保持沉默
You have it all memorized.
你会印象深刻的
Aren't you, the spiffy jiffy?
不是么,这绝妙的瞬间
And a sharp dresser.
还是穿着很时髦的人
You have the right to an attorney.
你有权利请律师
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you...
如果你请不起律师,法庭将为你指派一位?
Not to worry, dear. I'll cancel the rest of your day.
别担心,亲爱的,我帮你取消今天的预约
And in an unprecedented, if not bizarre move,
如果不是怪异的话,这场史无前例的运动中
the selectmen of Summersport, Massachusetts, a small south shore town,
马萨诸塞州,南部海边的一个
population 18,000, voted six to two yesterday to ban red meat.
约有18000人口的小镇Summersport,昨天以6比2的投票禁止了红肉
As of midnight, it is now illegal to serve or sell beef within the township.
随着午夜的到来,镇上的商店销售牛肉将是非法行为
God, health and safety.
我的天,健康和安全
Did they not call a town meeting to discuss this?
他们没有召开镇民大会讨论么
Well, they did. And nobody really took it that seriously.
有的,可没人把这事当真
But the mayor controls the selectmen,
市长控制了镇理事会的人
and this is exactly the publicity he's hoping to buy.
这正是他希望获得的宣传效果
In the meantime, my steak house is out of business.
在这期间,我的牛排馆倒闭了
How can you ban red meat?
怎么能禁止红肉呢
Well, they got a whole campaign they're gonna go with it.
他们有整个计划,这也是计划的一部分
They plan to promote Summersport as the seafood capital of the world.
他们要把Summersport作为,世界海产品的中心
We're carnivores.
我们是食肉动物
When the pilgrims landed,
当朝圣者登陆时
the first thing they did was eat a few indians.
他们做的第一件事,就是吃掉一些印第安人
Is there anything we can do?
我们有什么应对措施
We'll get an immediate T.R.O.
立即申请暂时制止裁定
I'll argue it myself. Ban red meat.
我亲自来辩护,禁止红肉案
That cannot pass constitutional mustard.
那肯定通不过宪法的"芥末"
The word is muster, Denny, but you're right.
那单词是"检验"不过你是对的
The law lacks condiments.
法律缺少调味品
Let's mark up a motion and get going, and let's do it in Suffolk.
我们向法院提出申请并着手跟进,在萨福克进行
We should contact the owners of the other affected restaurants,
我们应联系其他受影响的餐馆
and have them join us.
要他们一起加入
32744, commonwealth vs. Alan Shore,
案件编号32744,美国联邦诉艾伦·肖尔
conspiracy to commit battery.
作为伤人罪的共犯
Tara Wilson for the defendant, your honor.
辩方律师是塔拉·威尔逊,法官大人
We'll waive reading. I shouldn't think there'll be any question of bail.
我们放弃解释法律条文,请准许保释
What have we got here?
你们有什么要说的
He paid some guys in a bar to assault another guy.
被告雇佣一些人在酒吧里殴打另一个人
Judge, the guy insulted my honor.
法官,他侮辱了我荣誉
I was required by the canons of bar room conduct to respond.
酒吧里的规矩要求我们必须还击
This being America, I simply enlisted unsuspecting warriors
这里是美国,我仅仅是招募了,一些忠诚的勇士
who had no idea what I was getting them into.
他们不清楚我要他们做什么
Was anybody hurt?
有人受伤了么
Cuts and bruises. There was some damage to the bar.
有伤口和瘀伤,酒吧也造成了损失
My suggestion is we admit to sufficient facts
我建议我们承认足够的事实
so you'll continue it without a finding.
继续下去也毫无所获
My client makes full restitution to the bar.
我的当事人已经,对酒吧的损失进行了全额赔偿
That's not gonna fly.
那也不能逃脱
It was self-defense. Mr. Shore was hit.
这是正当防卫,肖尔先生被袭击了
The fact that he hired others to do the hitting back doesn't preclude...
事实上,他雇佣其他人去还击并不排除?
You want a not guilty, counsel, you need a trial.
你想要宣判无罪,必须要经过庭审
We could do it today.
今天就可以开庭
You're ready to proceed now?
你准备好了么
I'll stipulate to all the facts in the police report,
我同意警方报告中的事实
though I must take issue with some of the spelling.
虽然读他们的拼写有点费尽
If he stips to the facts, I could be ready tomorrow.
如果他确认事实,我明天可以开庭
Jury trial, of course. I can provide the court with a list of my closest peers.
当然,需要陪审团,我可以为法庭提供避嫌人名单
I leave for Aspen on Wednesday.
我周三要去Aspen
So we will complete this in one day. 10:00 tomorrow.
所以这个案子要在一天内结束,明天10点开庭
The defendant is released on personal recognizance.
被告你可以走了
Mr. Shore...
肖尔先生?
it would be a big mistake to come in here thinking this is funny.
如果你认为这很好玩,你就大错特错了
You mean it's not funny?
你是说这一点也不好玩
You cannot just ban red meat.
你不能禁止红肉
Any municipality can pass reasonable health regulations.
任何自治市镇都能,通过合理健康的法规
Ah, yes, let's just pause on that word "reasonable."
啊,是的,暂停在"合理"这
Many towns are dry, forbidding the sale of alcohol.
很多城镇都是禁酒的,酒精饮料是禁止的销售的
There is an enormous difference between the sale...
这简直是天壤之别在销售?
Hold on one second, Ms. Schmidt.
等一下,施密特女士
In my courtroom, we allow counsel to finish their thoughts.
在我的法庭里,辩护律师可以说完他的想法
We do not... if I could interrupt.
我们不? 请允许我打断一下
The author of this particular and preposterous legislation
这条特别的荒唐的法令的作者
happens to be both politically ambitious and a glutton for publicity,
碰巧有政治野心又贪图宣传效果
which this new law, funny thing, happens to be generating.
有趣的是,这条新的法律就应运而生了
Red meat poses legitimate health concerns.
红肉引起了合法的健康方面的关注
So do overzealous elected officials. We don't just ban them.
过分热心此事的官员也一样,我们也没禁止他们
If only we could. Now, I shall do the interrupting.
只要我们,现在,我要打断一下
If nothing else, I pride myself on being a conscientious fact finder.
撇开其他不提,作为一个尽责的,事实发掘者,我很自豪
Oh, brother.
哦,老兄
Mr. Crane, did you say something?
克兰先生,你说了什么
It's a stupid law. Overturn it. Be a man.
愚蠢的法律,像个男人那样否决它
Mr. Crane was trying to be helpful. Apparently, he did not succeed.
克兰先生想帮忙,很明显,他没有成功
What is the reason, specifically,
请具体地说,你的当事人
for your client banning the sale of red meat?
禁止红肉的理由是什么
Bovine spongiform encephalopathy.
牛绵状脑病
Mad cow disease.
疯牛病
We're fearful of an outbreak. In Summersport?
我们害怕大面积爆发,在Summersport么
Everywhere. That's ridiculous.
所有地方,真荒谬
Very well, we shall hold an evidentiary hearing.
很好,听证会应是基于事实证据的
First person I shall hear from is the mayor.
我会首先听取市长的陈述
Then, Ms. Schmidt, if you so desire,
然后,施密特女士,如果你强烈要求
I shall listen to your client.
我会听取你当事人的陈述
Until then, we are adjourned.
双方陈述之前,暂时休庭
Put on a dress.
穿上衣服
2:00.
2点开庭
What are you doing?
你在干什么
I know this judge. I know where his buttons are.
我了解这个法官,我知道他的要害在哪
Research shows, Denny,
调查显示,丹尼
it's not wise to antagonize the people whose favor you're trying to court.
在法庭上对抗你要讨好的人的喜好,是非常不明智的
Oh, come on, Shirley.
哦,别这样,雪莉
You still antagonize me,
你还在和我对着干
and we both know what's really going on, don't we?
我们都知道是为什么,对么
You sweet man.
甜心
It's been a long time since you hit my button.
你很久没有击中我的要害了
I doubt you'd even know where to find it.
你很怀疑你还找得到么
Just a matter of time, Shirley.
这是迟早的事,雪莉
Just a matter of time.
只是时间问题
This doesn't involve you, man, it's sexual.
这不关你的事,老兄,这只和性有关
I thought you said the judge would strike the law down.
我以为你说这法官要废掉这法律
I just got a little tougher, Dominick.
我只是遇到一点难题,多明尼克
They played the mad cow card.
他们打出疯牛病的牌
Sometimes a mayor has to do what's right even if it isn't popular.
有时市长也必须做一些正确的事,即使这事并不讨好
Red meat presents risks
目前食用红肉有很大风险
which I, as the guardian of my constituency, am unwilling to assume.
我作为选民的保护者,并不愿认为?
Legislation is capricious on its face.
法律是反复无常的
That'll be our only comment at this time.
这是目前我们唯一可以说的
Pop goes the weasel.
大众舆论倾向于一边
All right, Denny Crane.
好的,丹尼·克兰
Still cuckoo for cuckoo puffs.
我们还是坚持自己的立场
Who's your daddy?
你老爸是谁
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Pop goes the weasel.
大众舆论倾向于一边
Simply put, I don't think we can guarantee the safety of beef.
简单的说,我认为,我们无法保证牛肉的安全
Why not?
为什么不
For starters, we just lifted the ban on Canadian cattle,
作为发起人,我们刚对加拿大牛肉解禁
where mad cow disease was just found again.
却又再次发现疯牛病
The percentage of mad cow in Canada is statistically...
据统计,在加拿大疯牛的比例?
But why take chances?
可为何要碰运气呢
Consider this disease.
鉴于这种疾病
it's incurable, it rots the brain,
是无法医治的,它破坏大脑
it's invariably fatal, and it's a painful death.
是致命的,死得很痛苦
But our government has assured us there's absolutely no danger in this.
可我们的政府保证牛肉是绝对安全的
Our government is pro-beef. Are you kidding?
我们的政府支持牛肉,你在说笑吧
In the last five years, the agriculture business has donated $140 million
过去五年里,农业的收入,为国会和总统候选人
to congressional and presidential candidates.
捐赠了一亿四千万美元
Fast-food chains, the cattlemen's beef association, you name it,
快餐连锁店,牲畜牛肉协会
they've all given big bucks.
凡是你叫得出名字的
But the department of agriculture says...
可是农业部说?
Oh, please, the USDA's in the meat industry's back pocket.
哦,别天真了,美国农业部与是肉类行业是一伙的
What evidence do you have of that?
你的说法有什么证据支持
You want evidence?
你要证据么
How about the last secretary of agriculture
比如上一届的农业部部长
appointed meat industry advocates to top jobs at the USDA?
任命肉类行业的拥护者担任了,美国农业部里最重要的职位
How about the secretary's former chief of staff used to be
比如部长的前参谋长过去总是
the chief lobbyist for the national cattlemen's beef association?
美国国家牲畜牛肉协会的主要说客
The USDA has been bought.
美国农业部被收买了
Pretty strong words, Mr. Bostwick.
你的言辞很激烈,Bostwick先生
Oprah got sued for saying less. Well, what does that tell you?
奥普拉因为说得太少被起诉,那又说明什么呢
The meat industry gets to sue a talk show host
肉类行业要起诉一位脱口秀主持人
for putting down a hamburger?
因为他拒绝吃汉堡包
Free speech doesn't apply when it comes to beef?
当涉及到牛肉时,就不再有言论自由
Well, certainly, the USDA has an interest in making meat safe?
当然,美国农业部很努力,在保证肉制品的安全
But they have a double mandate, your honor.
可他们有双重授权,法官大人
And while one may be to keep beef safe,
一方面可能要保持牛肉的安全
the other, the bigger one...
另一方面,更强大的一方?
is to promote the sale of American meat.
正在促进美国肉类的销售
You think there's a real interest in this country in rooting out mad cow disease?
你认为发现疯牛病对这个国家有利么
It's "don't ask, don't tell."
是"不能问,不能说"
Objection! This past April, a cow stumbled and fell in Texas.
反对,刚过去的四月份,在德克萨斯州,有一头牛走路不稳然后摔倒了
The vets suspected a central nervous system disorder.
兽医怀疑是中枢神经系统紊乱
That anial should've been tested.
那个动物本应该被送去检验
It wasn't.It was quickly slaughtered and put into pig feed.
可是没有,它被迅速宰杀然后做了猪食
Why? Because god forbid we discover mad cow disease.
为什么,因为政府,不允许我们发现疯牛病
It would cost billions and billions of dollars.
这类花费简直是无底洞
I'm not gonna wait.
我可不想等
If that gets me sued, so be it.
如果那会让我被起诉,那就起诉吧
How many people in this country have been afflicted
我国有多少人感染了
with the human strain of mad cow disease?
人类的疯牛病
I don't plan to... To wait, yes. How many?
我没打算? 等下,回答我有多少
We don't know. There have been no confirmed cases.
我们不知道,至今仍未有确诊的案例
According to some scientists,
根据某些科学家的说法
many people we think have Alzheimer's could, in fact, be sick from mad cow.
很多以为是患了老年痴呆症的人,实际上是吃了疯牛而病的
Are you a scientist, sir? No.
你是科学家么,先生,不是
Before you became mayor, what was your occupation?
在你成为市长前,你的职业是什么
I owned auto dealerships.
我是汽车代理
You were a car salesman.
就是推销汽车的吧
Given that three million people are killed or injured on our roads every year,
倘若每年有三百万人在公路上死伤
do you also plan to ban automobiles?
你也打算禁止汽车么
No. What about salmonella?
不,那沙门氏菌
Any plans to criminalize chickens?
有计划要定鸡的罪么
People don't die from chickens or... What about mercury in fish?
人们不会因为鸡而死,或? 那鱼里含的汞呢
It's a concern.
这也是关心的问题
But, again, I made a judgment as mayor,
可我再次声明,作为市长兼镇理事会成员
and the selectmen concurred that the dangers of beef...
来判断牛肉的危险?
Have you any personal political ambitions
你有政治野心么
beyond that of being mayor of Summersport?
除了成为Summersport的市长
I'm not trying to get headlines, if that's what you're saying.
我并不想成为头条新闻,如果那就是你要说的
I didn't say that, but funny you did.
我可没那么说,有意思的是,你自己说了
Have you got anything?
你有什么要补充么
You would agree, Mr. Mayor, that by and large,
你是否基本上同意,市长先生
vegetarians are communists.
素食主义者就是共产主义者
I certainly would not.
当然不同意
We're at war, Mr. Bostwick.
我们在战争时期,博斯特威克先生
Think we can win that war if we suddenly say to our soldiers,
假如可以赢得战争,如果突然对我们的士兵说
"no more meat"?
"不能吃肉了"
Think a nation of fish-eaters can protect the world, you wimp?
你认为举国上下都是只吃鱼的人,能保护世界么,你这个懦夫
Objection. Withdrawn. Nothing further.
反对,我收回,没有问题了
What the hell are you doing?
你到底在干什么
Don't bother with the merits, Shirley.
别为我的优点费心,雪莉
This case, it's all about the judge.
这个案子的关键是这个法官
You asked to see us.
你要求见我们
Sit.
请坐
Not to worry. This is standard.
别担心,这是标准程序
He purposely doesn't look up.
他故意不抬头看我们
It's a technique taught in the '40s for establishing dominion.
这是40多岁的人建立主权的伎俩
You were involved in a bar altercation last night?
昨晚你卷入了一起酒吧争论
Altercation? I think not.
争论,我想不是吧
It was a brawl.
是打架
And you were arrested? I was.
你被逮捕了,是的
Trial starts tomorrow, actually.
实际上,庭审明天进行
Can I count on you as a character witness?
我可以指望你做我的品格证人么
Who's defending you?
谁为你辨护
I'm representing myself, with Tara's assistance.
我为自己辩护,塔拉协助我
There's no opportunity to plead this out?
没有机会避免庭审么
Only if I plead guilty, which is, of course, unacceptable.
只可能是我请求认罪,当然这是不能接受的
I have to worry about a three strikes law,
我必须担心那个三年的殴打法律
since I plan to commit future crimes.
因为我打算继续犯罪
I don't know what kind of career death wish you have, Mr. Shore,
我不知你想怎样终结你的职业生涯,肖尔先生
but if you're convicted, if you get time,
可如果你被判有罪
your employment will be terminated.
你的雇佣合同就被终止了
That may be of little consequence to you...
那可能影响你的?
If I had a nickel for every time you've threatened to fire me, Paul,
如果每次你威胁要解雇我,我都存五分钱
I could simply retire.
我现在已经攒够钱可以退休了
Alan, cut it out.
艾伦,别说了
It is not my habit to lecture,
我并不习惯说教
but what you did last night was selfish.
可你昨晚的行为是很自私的
We have a reputation here at Crane, Poole & Schmidt.
我们克兰,普尔和施密特事务所,在本地是有名望的
The attorneys here take great pride in that reputation.
我们的律师都因此而自豪
It undermines everyone at Crane, Poole & Schmidt
我们的律师被刑事起诉
when a lawyer here is criminally prosecuted.
克兰,普尔和施密特事务所的名声会受到伤害
Your actions hurt people.
你的行为伤害了大家
All of us must now tender explanations
我们都得向我们的朋友,同行
to our friends, our colleagues,
小心解释这事
to safeguard and repair the reputation of Crane, Poole & Schmidt.
去维护和修复克兰,普尔和施密特事务所的声誉
Stop it!
停下
I've had it.
我受够你了
Do you hear me?
听见了么
I have had it.
我受够你了
Get out, both of you.
滚出去,你们两个人
Personally, I would never eat meat.
个人来言,我从不吃肉
Why, doctor?
为什么,医生
We don't have the means to keep track of what cattle are being fed,
我们没有办法跟踪牛吃的食物
nor are we adequately testing them, in my opinion.
也不能做到足够的检测
Your honor, I object to paranoia being offered as evidence.
法官大人,我反对用极端的个例作为证据
I'm sorry, but it's absolutely reckless
抱歉,但这绝对是不顾后果的
for a government to be telling us we're safe
政府一直告诉我们是安全的
when the scientific community can't necessarily detect all the ways
在科学界不能自始至终的检测的情况下
this disease can be contracted or transmitted.
这些疾病可能感染了或传播了
But let's look at statistics.
可是让我们看看统计数据吧
Nobody in this country seems to be getting sick from mad cows.
这国家里好象没有人因为疯牛而得病
Judge, we just can't know that.
法官大人,这是无法肯定的
The disease may have an incubation period of up to 40 years.
这病可能潜伏长达40年
You may be infected right now.
你现在很可能已经被感染了
My point is,
我的观点是
nobody now seems to be demonstrating symptoms.
现在好象还没人出现病症
We don't know that for sure, either.
我们也不能肯定这个说法
The human strain of the mad cow disease
人类感染疯牛病
is called Creutzfeldt-Jakob.
叫做古兹菲德雅各氏病
We call it CJD.
简称CJD
But you can also get CJD sporadically, with no link to infected meat.
可是你可能很偶然患上CJD,与肉类毫无关系
And some of the people we've diagnosed with Alzheimer's
还有一些人,我们诊断为老年痴呆症
might, in fact, have CJD.
实际上,可能是患了CJD
We don't know how many cases there really are.
我们不知道真实存在有多少病例
You cannot tell me the government has all this figured out.
你不能说政府已发现了所有的
And the government just covers this up?
你是说政府完全掩盖了这一切么
Well, it's probably not so much a cover-up.
可能无法掩盖那么多
It's just we're not terribly motivated to discover the problem.
只是我们不是急切要揭露问题
The economic consequences would be too severe.
因为经济影响会很严重
Economic consequences,
经济影响
the beef industry would risk an outbreak of mad cow disease.
牛肉产业要冒着疯牛病爆发的风险
That wouldn't bankrupt them overnight?
那不会让他们一夜之间破产
The beef industry can't always tell when a cow is sick,
牛肉产业不会总告诉你,何时有牛病了
and they're desperate to believe that isolated cases are isolated cases.
他们更愿意相信,个别的案例是孤立存在的
And the department of agriculture just plays along?
那农业部就是帮凶了
The month after that sick cow was found in Washington state,
发现华盛顿州的病牛之后的一个月
mad cow testing dropped almost 50%.
疯牛病的检测通过率立刻下降了50%
That's outrageous. It eventually went up.
这太无耻了,还会上升的
Look, they tried to track the herd where that Washington cow came from...
瞧啊,他们尝试追踪华盛顿州,那只牛所在的牛群
they couldn't find 53 of the 80 cows.
却不知道80头牛中的53头去了哪
They've since admitted their cattle trackback system isn't up and running,
他们这才承认牲畜跟踪系统出了问题
and it would have to be done on a voluntary basis.
这本应该在自愿的基础上完成
Voluntary...
自愿的?
Which is why I order the fish.
那就是为什么我只吃鱼
Denny. Hmm.
丹尼,恩
I'm getting my ass kicked here. I can see that.
我无还手之力了,我看到了
Any suggestions?
有什么建议么
How old are you, sir? 46.
你多大了,先生,46岁
I'm 72, and I can mop the floor with you. You know why?
我已经72岁了,我可以和你一起擦地板,知道为什么吗
I eat meat.
我吃肉
Makes me strong, builds up my immune system,
吃肉使我强壮,构造我的免疫系统
fights off a whole bunch of other diseases I might have had
让我打败其他,一大堆的我可能患的疾病
if I weren't so strong.
这都因为我如此健壮
Red meat saves lives, baby.
红肉能救命,宝贝
You ever think about that? I'm sorry,
你从没那么想过么,很抱歉
but there's no real evidence to support that opinion.
可没有任何证据支持你的观点
Oh, I'm sorry.
哦,很抱歉
Any hard evidence to support yours?
有任何确实的证据支持你的观点么
Hard evidence, no.
确实的证据,没有
But I don't think we really want to wait for that evidence to come rushing in.
可我不认为我们真要等到证据涌现的时候
I had him there,
我让他在那
right till the end.
直到结束
He basically offered us $100 to fight.
他基本是给我100美元去打架
You took the money.
你拿了钱
Yes. And you fought.
是的,你打了么
Yes.
是的
Thank you, sir.
谢谢
Interesting. We agree to stipulate to the facts,
很有趣,我们都同意根据事实
and the prosecution sees fit to distort them just the same.
而诉讼程序好象同样歪曲了事实
Objection. Mr. Edwards, I didn't say,
反对,Edwards先生,我可没说
"here's $100, go fight," did I?
"这是100美元,你去打他"对么
Well... Did I not first ask your friend Mike
恩? 我是否不是第一个叫你朋友麦克
to avenge an assault committed against me?
为了针对我的报复而去实施攻击
Yes. And then when Mike was attacked,
是的,然后,当麦克被攻击了
I enlisted you and others to go to his aid, did I not?
我招集你和其他的人去帮他的忙,对么
Yes. And the man who first assaulted me
是的,而那个首先攻击我的男人
had many colleagues who joined the fray, did he not? Yes.
他有很多帮手加入了打斗,是么,是的
In fact, Joe's friends first turned it into a brawl, wouldn't you say?
事实是,乔的朋友首先挑起群殴,你认为呢
Yes. And as a friend of Mike's, is it your testimony
是的,作为麦克的朋友,按照你的证词
you would not have gone to his aid had I not offered you money?
如果我没有给你钱,你就不会去帮他的忙吗
No, I would have probably jumped in anyway at that point.
不是的,那时候我本来要过去帮忙
Well, given your honest and forthright testimony,
那么,鉴于你的诚实和坦白的的证词
which has shed blinding light on what happened in the bar that night,
这就让那晚在酒吧发生的事昭然若揭了
would you now consider yourself
此刻你认为你是
a witness more for the prosecution or the defense?
更像是原告证人还是被告的证人
Um, I guess defense.
呃,被告的
Thank you, Mr. Edwards.
谢谢你,爱德华兹先生
You deserve another $100.
你应该再得100美元
We're going to lose?
我们要输了么
It hasn't gone well.
进展并不顺利
Surely you've noticed.
明显你已看到了
My grandfather started this steak house.
从我祖父开始经营这牛排馆
How can...
怎么可以?
I just can't believe it. Look, it isn't over yet.
我只是无法相信,听着,还没结束呢
We still have summations, but...
我们还有结案陈辞,可?
Let me tell you this one more time.
让我再提醒你一次
Play the judge.
从法官入手
The man lives with his mother, and he wears lifts.
这个人和他妈妈住在一起
The buzzword is nansy-pansy.
关键词是,"女里女气
I beg your pardon. Nansy-pansy.
你再说一次,女里女气
He doesn't want to fall on that side of the fence.
他不想自己看起来像那样的人
It's even worse than namby-pamby.
这个词比"矫揉造作的"更厉害
What are you talking about? Trust me, Shirley.
你到底要说什么,相信我,雪莉
For once, can you do that?
就这一次,行么
Nansy-pansy.
女里女气
I was thinking perhaps I should close.
我在考虑让我来结案陈辞
Don't be ridiculous.
真可笑
I'm sorry? No offense, Tara,
你说什么,不是故意冒犯你,塔拉
but since I handled the witness, the jury will be...
可我处理好了证人,陪审团也?
Did you see the faces on the jury?
你没看到陪审团的表情么
They weren't impressed.
他们没留下什么印象
They found you smug.
他们觉得你自鸣得意
You were, perhaps, too self-satisfied to notice.
你可能太得意而没注意到
Are we at a certain point in our cycle, Tara?
我们还在同一战线么,塔拉
I apologize.
我为我的话道歉
Do you?
是么
That's a first.
那可是第一次
Say what you must.
有话直说吧
I was hugely embarrassed by what happened at the bar,
酒吧里的事让我非常尴尬
not to mention terrified.
更别提惊吓了
I could have been injured. Did that ever occur to you?
我可能已经受伤了,你从没考虑过么
I mean, it would have been one thing
我是说,这本来会是一件
had you had a neanderthal reaction and swung back,
让你本能反应去还击的事
but your response was considered.
可你的反应却是经过深思的
You reflectively, calmly orchestrated your violence.
你思考并冷静组织了这次暴力行为
People could have been hurt.
周围的人可能受伤
I could have been hurt,
我也可能已经受伤
but you've not once considered that,
可你根本没考虑过这些
because contrary to the rumor that you are the center of the universe,
别人说你是宇宙的中心
clearly you are the universe,
我觉得你根本就是整个宇宙
and I, for one, am getting sick of it.
而且我对此感到非常厌恶
Alan Shore's a good lawyer, Paul.
艾伦·肖尔是个好律师,保罗
If we fire him, it does leave a hole.
如果我们解雇他,会损失很大
I am certainly mindful of that,
我当然考虑了那些
but how far do we let him push us?
可我们要忍受他到什么程度
He has done this at every firm he has worked for.
他在每个工作过的地方都是这样
He defies them to the point...
他公然违抗他们达到了?
His last firm sued him.
他上个东家甚至要起诉他
Yes, and he went on. They didn't.
是的,而他依然我行我素,他们也没起诉他
Schmidt, you called? Schmidt
你找我
Cellina, I called you three hours ago.
塞丽娜,我三小时之前找你
Where have you been?
你到底去哪了
Patriots parade.
爱国者游行
The patriots parade was last week.
爱国者游行不是在上周么
Three super bowls, four years.
三场"超级碗"赛事,四年都是这样
I'm still on parade.
我还是在游行
You worked on that Ianetti meat-packing case last year, didn't you?
你参与了去年Ianetti的,肉制品行业的案件,是么
Yes.
是的
What do you know about that cow in Washington state?
关于华盛顿州的那头牛你了解多少
I'm about to suffer an embarrassing defeat in court.
我快要在法庭上,遭遇最尴尬的失败
I need to show that what happened in Washington was an isolated, what?
我必须证明华盛顿的案件是个特例,是怎样?
Don't go near the Washington case.
别去引用华盛顿的那个案件
It's possible it wasn't even a downer cow.
那头牛会拉跨整个案子
What do you mean, downer cow?
你这是什么意思
Basically, it means the cow fell down.
那头牛摔倒了
We're told that the mad cows are easy to spot
我们被告知,疯牛很容易辨别
because they stumble and fall.
因为他们走不稳而且会跌倒
We were told that this cow fell,
我们还知道这牛跌倒了
but eyewitnesses in Washington
可华盛顿的目击证人
say the cow was walking and was tested only as a fluke.
声称那牛走得好好的,而且只被当成偶然事件来检测
Which means...
也就是说?
while we're being told that the sick cows show easily detectable symptoms...
我们被告之病牛的病症很容易发觉?
they sometimes don't, and therefore go undetected.
但有时候并不是的,病症有时是不易被发觉的
Stay away from the Washington case.
千万别引用华盛顿那案例
Thank you, Cellina.
谢谢你,赛琳娜
Pardon the expression, but...
请原谅我这么说,可?
I'm dead meat.
这次死定了
You really think you're going to lose?
你真的认为你会输
I'm tempted to employ Denny's strategy.
我打算采用Denny的策略
Which is...
那是?
Nansy-pansy.
"女里女气"
All I know is he instigated the brawl.
我只知道他煽动了那次争斗
The charge is conspiracy to commit aggravated assault.
将其作为加重的企图伤害罪共犯起诉
Talking about me, Brad?
在说我么,布拉德
Yeah, we're just trying to imagine you as an instigator.
是的,我们把你想象成一个煽动者
What's that supposed to mean?
那是什么意思
Sorry.
对不起
Forget it. No, let's not forget it.
算了,不,不能算了
How about you say what you have to say?
不如你把想说的话说完
Or is that too monumental an effort, completing whole sentences?
还是你不敢说完
Come on, Alan. You want to talk about me, Lori?
别这样,艾伦,你也想说我么,洛里
Perhaps you should reposition yourself behind my back.
也许你背着我转变阵营了
Isn't that the rule of the game?
这不就是游戏规则么
I don't talk about you behind your back.
我没在你背后说你
You're not that interesting.
你没那么让人感兴趣
I'm tired of this. Got that?
我厌倦了这些,明白么
I don't know what's going on with you, sport,
你发什么神经
but you're certainly smart enough to realize
你应该能清晰意识到
that I could probably dismember you in about the time...
我任何时候都能撕了你..
Then do it. Cut it out.
动手啊,别吵了
What the hell is going on?
真见鬼你们在干嘛
Careful, Tara. I wouldn't want you to get hurt.
小心点,塔拉,我不想伤到你
Listen to me.
听着,去和别人说话
Talking to others as if I weren't the only one in the universe.
就像我不是宇宙里唯一个人
When will I learn?
我什么时候才能学会
No, when will we learn?
不,是我们什么时候才能学会
That you are always right.
你永远是对的
That it makes sense to start a bar room brawl.
那会使你挑起酒吧里的群架,变得有意义
That it's perfectly reasonable to get into a shoving match at the office.
那使你在办公室里推推拉拉,变得非常合理
Nothing could be going on with you.
你才不会出状况呢
When will we learn?
我们何时才明白这点
Get help.
让人帮你吧
We had an expression in this country years ago called "where's the beef?"
很多年前有一句语"牛肉在哪里"
Translation, where's the substance?
翻译过来,就是说物质在哪里
Your honor, do you know anybody
法官大人,有谁知道
who's been victimized by mad cow disease?
谁是疯牛病的受害者
Know anybody who knows anybody?
谁又认识谁知道这事呢
Know anybody who knows anybody who knows anybody?
谁又认识谁又认识谁是知道的呢
There's simply not a shred of evidence to
根本就没有任何一丝证据
suggest that a single person in this country
表明我国任何一个人
has ever become ill from a mad cow.
曾经因为疯牛而生病
But why wait?
可为什么要等到它出现呢
That's the mayor's jingle.
这就是市长的所宣扬的
Why wait?
为什么要等
Because this man and others like him
因为这个人和其他喜欢他的人
have sacrificed their lives and their livelihoods building their restaurants.
用一生的心血经营着他们的餐馆
Maybe as a courtesy,
也许出于礼貌
we could wait for a scintilla of evidence
在武断的摧毁他们的生意之前
before arbitrarily destroying their businesses.
我们可以找到一丁点儿的证据
The fact is,
事实是
the USDA has done an exemplary job conducting tests,
美国农业部已经做了模范的工作,去指导检验
establishing safeguards to prevent the outbreak of mad cow disease,
建立安全措施防止疯牛病大规模爆发
which is probably why it hasn't broken out.
这很可能就是它没有爆发的原因
Well, we could give in to our fear and panic...
我们可以向恐惧和害怕屈服?
baseless panic.
毫无根据的恐惧
but that would make us...
可那会让我们变成?
a nation of nansy-pansies.
举国上下都是软弱无能的
I don't know about you, but...
我不知道你怎么想,可?
I don't want to be a nansy-pansy.
我不想成为一个软弱无能的人
Towns make rules all the time.
一直以来小镇制订了很多规则
Lots of them zoned fast-food restaurants out of business.
很多规则使快餐店倒闭
Through permits,
通过许可
they can control how you build your house.
他们可以控制你怎么建你的房子
Some towns ban alcohol, cigarettes.
一些城镇禁酒,禁烟
Others have curfews.
其他一些还实行宵禁
We do all kinds of things.
我们做各种各样的事
The only legal requirement is that the laws are reasonable.
唯一合法的要求是,法律是合法的
It is not unreasonable to fear an outbreak of mad cow disease.
害怕疯牛病的爆发是合理的
We've had a case in Washington state,
在华盛顿州已经有过案例
another last month in Canada.
另一个案例是上个月在加拿大
We just lifted the ban. A Canadian beef.
我们刚刚撤销牛肉进口禁令,一头加拿大牛就被发现感染了疯牛病
The incubation period for this disease could be decades.
这种病的潜伏期长达几十年
We have no guarantee that we're not already infected.
我们不能保证我们还未感染
It is simply reckless
当科学界都没有定论时
for the government to be injecting certainty
政府就宣扬如此肯定的结论
when the scientific community cannot.
完全是不计后果的
And forget mad cow.
即使不考虑疯牛的因素
We already know that eating beef can cause high cholesterol, heart disease.
众所周知,吃牛肉,会引起高胆固醇,心脏病
It increases the risk of colon cancer.
会增加患结肠癌的风险
There's listeria and E. coli, which has already killed people.
现存的李斯特氏杆菌和大肠埃希菌,已经可以导致死亡
Dioxin,
戴奥辛
the poison that almost killed the Ukrainian president,
这种有毒物质几乎杀死了乌克兰总统
that stuff is on our grazing grass.
而这种物质存在于放牧的草里
Scientists say the average American has
科学家说,每个美国人的血脂里
about 10 units of dioxin in their blood fat
大约有10个单位的戴奥辛
simply from eating animal fat.
仅仅是从动物脂肪中获取的
There are all kinds of reasonable justifications
作为一个市长,从市民的餐桌上尽量减少红肉
for a mayor to try to reduce red meat from the diet of his citizenry.
不甚枚举的事实可证明这是合理的
And let me remind you.
让我提醒你们
there is nothing...
没有?
nothing in the constitution
在宪法里没有法律
that guarantees anybody the right to sell a hamburger.
是保障任何人销售汉堡包的权利
This wasn't self-defense.
这不是正当防卫
Mr. Shore was not under any physical threat
肖尔先生当时未遭到身体上的危险
when he paid the first man to fight.
当他给第一个男人钱去打架时
This was vengeance for hire.
就是为了报仇
And once that violence began, he started paying others to escalate it.
一旦暴力开始了,他又雇佣其他人去使事态升级
These facts are not in dispute.
这些事实是不容质疑的
The only real question for you here is,
要问你们的唯一问题是
is Mr. Shoreabove the law or not?
肖尔先生是否可以凌驾法律之上
I've been accused of,
我被指控
reflectively, perhaps even glibly,
有预谋的,可能还是毫不犹豫的
orchestrating a little revenge.
组织了一场小小的报复
Well, I guess that's how I wanted it to look.
我猜这正是我希望看到的
A man punched me in the face
一个男人一拳打在我脸上
in front of my girlfriend.
在我女朋友面前
And while my instinct was to hit him back,
而我的本能应该是打回去
the truth is, I was afraid.
事实上,我害怕
I was fearful that if I retaliated, he would
我害怕如果我还击的话,他会
beat me up.
把我打倒在地
So I got somebody else to do my fighting.
所以我找了别人替我打
Then things got out of hand.
但是事情失去了控制
And, well...
而且?
I had to send more and more troops
我不得不派出更多的部队
to a war that should've ended quickly.
去参加本应该迅速结束的战争
But make no mistake,
但别搞错了
my reaction that night was not so much reflective as it was
我那晚上的反应,并不完全像
primal.
最初想象的那样
A man hit me.
一个男人打了我
And well, we like to think ourselves as being evolved
当时,我们相信我们,正陷入危险
maybe I should've just hit him.
也许我本应该直接打他
There's a warrior that lies within the belly of every man.
每个男人身体里都有一个勇士
A warrior who, in my case, has always gone unsatisfied.
而我的勇士,总是无法满足
I tried to satisfy him but without pain.
我尽力用无需痛苦的方式满足他
That's what the craven do, sometimes.
有时,这是懦夫的所为
They stand out of the fray,
他们不敢参与打斗
thump their egos along with their chests,
骗自己这是为了骄傲和尊严
and let others do the fighting.
而让别人去打斗
Well, thank you all for staying late.
感谢各位的等待
I did some research of my own.
我自己做了些调研
As you may know, I pride myself on being a conscientious fact finder.
正如你们所了解的,我很自豪,作为一个尽责的事实挖掘者
Here we go.
有话快说吧
Mad cow disease is here.
疯牛病的确存在
And for all the guarantees supplied by the government,
尽管政府提供了很多保证
the scientific community doesn't back them up.
科学界似乎并不买账
We all have a right to be concerned.
我们有权利被关心
The governmental agencies in place to protect us
有义务保护我们的政府部门
seem to be controlled by the industries we need protection from.
好象被那些损害我们的产业所控制
This mad cow disease started out in Europe and worked its way over here,
疯牛病在欧洲爆发,正朝我们这蔓延
And it is ture scientists argue with our government
这是事实,科学家与我们的政府对此争论不休
but as a trier of fact,
可作为一个事实的检验者
a judge must rely on facts.
一个法官,必须依靠事实证据
And there is no evidence of an epidemic.
这并没有疫疾流行的证据
If a judge were to allow himself to be governed by fear alone,
如果一个法官允许自己被恐惧支配
well, then it is true, and I agree.
那么的确
It would make him a...
这会让他成为一个?
A nansy-pansy.
软弱无能的人
This judge is anything but.
我决不是这样的人
I find the law banning the sale of red meat
我认为这项禁止红肉的法律
to be premature, if not capricious, and it is hereby overturned.
为时尚早,如没有意外的话,它被否决了
Way to go, judge.
好样的,法官
Case adjourned.
退庭
Anybody up for a burger?
有谁想吃个汉堡包么
Thank you, thank you.
谢谢你,谢谢你
Thank god.
感谢上帝
Well, Denny, I admit, I had my doubts.
丹尼,我承认,我心存疑虑
But you won this case. Thank you.
不过你赢了这案子,谢谢你
Does this mean we're having sex tonight?
这是说我们今晚要做爱么
Allow me the dream a little longer.
让这个梦再等久一点吧
I won the day.
我赢得了一天
I deserve to be rewarded.
我应该得到报答
I'll give you this.
我报答你这个
Denny Denny
丹尼,丹尼
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
I must be acquitted. She's not smiling.
我肯定是宣告无罪,她没在笑
Madam foreperson, you've reached a unanimous verdict?
陪审团,你们的裁决一致么
We have, your honor. What say you?
是的,法官大人,裁决是什么
Commonwealth vs. Alan Shore,
美国联邦诉艾伦·肖尔
on the count of conspiracy to commit aggravated assault,
作为严重的企图伤害罪的共犯
We find the defendant Alan Shore not guilty.
我们裁定被告艾伦·肖尔,罪名不成立
We appeal, judge.
我们要上诉,法官
Members of the jury, this completes your service. You can go.
陪审团的成员,你们的工作已经完成,可以离开了
Mr. Shore.
肖尔先生
This probably doesn't have to be goodbye
可能不用很长时间
so much as until we meet again.
我们还会再见的
Yes, your honor.
好的,法官大人
She's attracted to me.
她被我迷住了
No doubt.
毫无疑问
Tara?
塔拉...
I am sorry.
对不起
I never meant to put you in any danger.
我不是故意让你身险险境的
I know.
我明白
When you...
当你?
launched into that diatribe about me being the...
当你很认真骂我是?
The universe?
宇宙
You even said you were sick of it.
你甚至说你很厌恶
Are you sick of me?
你厌恶我么
Are you sick of me, Tara?
你讨厌我么,塔拉
No.

As much as I...
我基本上
loathe sentiment together with its expression,
憎恶多愁善感的表达
I cherish you.
可我很珍惜你
You should just know...
你应该明白
you really, really smell good.
你真的,真的很好闻
You smell good, too.
你也很好闻
How'd you do?
你的案子怎样了
The jury was out 15 minutes. Not guilty.
陪审团用了15分钟商议,无罪释放
They took pity on me.
他们可怜我
Congratulations.
恭喜啦
I heard you won.
听说你赢了
Everything okay?
一切还好么
I don't have Alzheimer's.
我没有得老年痴呆症
I have mad cow disease.
我得了疯牛病
Well, it's nice to finally know.
能查出来也不错
Ever beat up anybody with your bare hands?
你赤手空拳打过谁么
Many times.
打过很多次
Why?
为什么那么问
Just asking.
随便问问
Have you?
你打过么
No.
没有
Well...
那?
it makes you a better man than I, I guess.
我猜,你是个比我好的男人
I guess so.
也许

分享到
重点单词
  • stumblen. 绊倒,失策 vi. 绊倒,失策,踌躇,无意中发现
  • striken. 罢工,打击,殴打 v. 打,撞,罢工,划燃
  • operatev. 操作,运转,经营,动手术
  • conscientiousadj. 勤勉认真的;一丝不苟的
  • techniquen. 技术,技巧,技能
  • confirmedadj. 习惯的,积习的,确认过的,证实的 动词conf
  • promotevt. 促进,提升,升迁; 发起; 促销
  • isolatedadj. 分离的,孤立的
  • depositionn. 沉积物,沉积作用,免职,[律]宣誓作证,证言
  • immediateadj. 立即的,即刻的,直接的,最接近的