双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第15章:离开河谷(5)
日期:2017-04-14 14:28

(单词翻译:单击)

Some people believe that the Pashtuns descend from one of the lost tribes of Israel, and my father said, 'It is as though we are the Israelites leaving Egypt, but we have no Moses to guide us.'
有些人认为普什图人是一支早已失落的以色列部落的后裔,面对此情此景,父亲则说:“看起来,我们就像是要离开埃及的以色列人一样,但我们缺了摩西领路。”
Few people knew where they were going, they just knew they had to leave.
多数人都不知道自己要去往哪里,他们只知道他们必须离开。
This was the biggest exodus in Pashtun history.
这是普什图人史上最大的一次移民潮。
Usually there are many ways out of Mingora, but the Taliban had cut down several huge apple trees and used them to block some routes so everyone was squashed onto the same road.
正常情况下,要离开明戈拉有很多条路可以选择。但是,塔利班砍倒了几棵巨大的苹果树,挡住了部分去路,因此,所有人不得不拥挤在同一条道路上。
We were an ocean of people.
现场真的是人山人海。
The Taliban patrolled the roads with guns and watched us from the tops of buildings.
塔利班持枪在道路上巡逻,也在建筑物的屋顶上设置了哨卡,监视着我们。
They were keeping the cars in lines but with weapons not whistles.
他们命令群众把车排成一列,而他们用来发号施令的,不是哨笛,而是武器。
'Traffic Taliban,' we joked to try and keep our spirits up.
“塔利班交警。”我们试着用玩笑来打起精神。
At regular intervals along the road we passed army and Taliban checkpoints side by side.
隔着差不多的距离,我们接连通过军队与塔利班的检查哨。
Once again the army was seemingly unaware of the Taliban's presence.
看起来,军方再一次没有注意到塔利班就在他们眼前。
Maybe they have poor eyesight,' we laughed, 'and can't see them.'
“可能他们视力太差,”我们大笑着说,“差到看不见塔利班的人。”
The road was heaving with traffic.
车辆的拥塞造成道路拥堵。
It was a long slow journey and we were all very sweaty crammed in together.
旅途漫长,我们全身湿黏黏地挤在一起。
Usually car journeys are an adventure for us children as we rarely go anywhere.
通常,汽车旅行对于我们这些很少出门的孩子来讲,不亚于一场探险。
But this was different. Everyone was depressed.
但这次不同,每个人都很沮丧。
Inside Dr Afzal's van my father was talking to the media, giving a running commentary on the exodus from the valley.
在阿富扎医生的汽车上,父亲正在跟媒体朋友通话,来给这场河谷版的《出埃及记》做实况评论。
My mother kept telling him to keep his voice down for fear the Taliban would hear him.
母亲一再要求他压低音量,担心塔利班会听见他的声音。
My father's voice is so loud my mother often jokes that he doesn't need to make phone calls, he can just shout.
父亲的嗓门很大,母亲常开玩笑说他根本不用打电话,用喊的办法对方就可以听得到。
Finally we got through the mountain pass at Malakand and left Swat behind.
我们总算穿越了马拉根德的山隘,把斯瓦特抛在了身后。
It was late afternoon by the time we reached Mardan, which is a hot and busy city.
天色向晚时,我们抵达马尔丹,这是一座闷热而繁忙的城市。

分享到