(单词翻译:单击)
Listen, Maulana,' he told Fazlullah. 'You killed people, you slaughtered people, you beheaded people, you destroyed schools and still there was no protest in Pakistan.
“听我说,毛拉,”他跟法兹鲁拉说,“你残害人民,你屠杀人民,你砍掉人民的头,你摧毁许多学校,巴基斯坦人一直都没有起来抗议。
But when you banned girls' education people spoke out.
但是,当你禁止女孩接受教育时,人民抗争了。
Even the Pakistan media, which has been so soft on you till now, is outraged.'
就连一向对你都很友善的巴基斯坦媒体,都发出了怒吼。”
The pressure from the whole country worked, and Fazlullah agreed to lift the ban for girls up to ten years old – Year 4.
来自整个国家的压力奏效了,法兹鲁拉同意解除部分禁令:十岁以下的女孩可以接受教育——也就是到四年级为止。
I was in Year 5 and some of us pretended we were younger than we were.
虽然我是五年级学生,但我和一些女同学假装自己不到十岁。
We started going to school again, dressed in ordinary clothes and hiding our books under our shawls.
我们又开始去上学,穿着便服,把书本藏在披巾底下。
It was risky but it was the only ambition I had back then.
这样做很危险,但那是我当时唯一的愿望。
We were lucky too that Madam Maryam was brave and resisted the pressure to stop working.
幸运的是,玛丽安女士很勇敢,顶住外界的压力继续工作。
She had known my father since she was ten and they trusted each other completely – she used to signal to him to wind up when he spoke for too long, which was often!
她十岁时就认识我的父亲,两人彼此对对方完全信任。以前,每次当父亲滔滔不绝地发表演讲时,她都会提醒他适可而止。我父亲常这样!
The secret school is our silent protest,' she told us.
“秘密学校就是我们沉默的抗议。”她告诉我们。
I didn't write anything about it in my diary.
我没有在我的日记里提到这件事。
If they had caught us they would have flogged or even slaughtered us as they had Shabana.
因为如果他们抓到我们的小辫子,就会对我们施以鞭刑,甚至会像杀死莎芭娜那样屠杀我们。
Some people are afraid of ghosts, some of spiders or snakes – in those days we were afraid of our fellow human beings.
有些人怕鬼魂、蜘蛛或是毒蛇;而在那些日子里,我们惧怕的,是我们的人类同胞。
On the way to school I sometimes saw the Taliban with their caps and long dirty hair.
在去学校的路上,我偶尔会撞见戴着休闲帽,留着一头肮脏长发的塔利班。
Most of the time they hid their faces.
多数时候,他们会用面罩隐藏起五官。
They were awkward, horrible-looking.
他们举止古怪,模样可怕。