(单词翻译:单击)
When I told her I wasn't married ("Not yet!") she looked taken aback.
我说自己未婚("尚未结婚"),她看起来吃了一惊。
"Never been married?" she asked.
"从没结过婚吗?"她问。
"No," I lied. I don't like lying, but I generally have found it's easier not to mention divorce to the Balinese because they get so upset about it.
"没有。"我撒谎。我不喜欢撒谎,但我普遍发现最好别和巴厘岛人提起离婚,因为这让他们不舒服。
"Really never been married?" she asked again, and she was looking at me with great curiosity now.
"真的没结过婚?"她又问一次,此刻饶富兴味地看着我。
"Honestly," I lied. "I've never been married."
"真的,"我撒谎,"我没结过婚。"
"You sure?" This was getting weird.
"你确定?"这开始有些古怪。
"I'm totally sure!"
"我很确定!"
"Not even once?" she asked.
"一次婚都没结过?"她问。
OK, so she can see through me.
好吧。她看穿了我。
"Well," I confessed, "there was that one time . . ."
"这个嘛,"我供认,"有过一次……"
And her face cleared like: Yes, I thought as much.
她的脸亮了起来,仿佛在说:"没错,我想也是。"
She asked, "Divorced?"
她问:"离了婚?"
"Yes," I said, ashamed now.
"是的,"此刻我心怀羞愧地说,
"Divorced."
"离了婚。"
"I could tell you are divorced."
"我看得出你离过婚。"
"It's not very common here, is it?"
"在此地不太寻常吧?"
"But me, too," said Wayan, entirely to my surprise. "Me too, divorced."
"我也是,"大姐完全出乎我意外地说,"我也离了婚。"
"You?"
"你?"
"I did everything I could," she said. "I try everything before I got a divorce, praying every day. But I had to go away from him."
"我该做的都做了,"她说,"离婚前,我试尽所有办法,天天祷告。但我必须离开他。"
Her eyes filled up with tears, and next thing you knew, I was holding Wayan's hand, having just met my first Balinese divorcée, and I was saying, "I'm sure you did the best you could, sweetie. I'm sure you tried everything."
她眼泪汪汪,接着我握着大姐的手,只因遇见第一位巴厘岛离婚人士,我说:"我相信你尽了最大努力。我相信该做的你都做了。"
"Divorce is too sad," she said. I agreed.
"离婚是哀伤的事。"她说。我同意。