(单词翻译:单击)
"What is it, then?"
“那是什么?”
I explained to the monk why I had come to dread the Gurugita, how tortuous it feels.
我向僧人说明自己恐惧古鲁梵歌的原因,我复杂的感受。
He said, "Wow—look at you. Even just talking about it you're getting all bent out of shape."
他说:“哇,看看你。哪怕只是谈到它,都让你不愉快。”
It was true. I could feel cold, clammy sweat accumulating in my armpits.
没错,我感觉到湿冷的汗水在腋窝逐渐累积。
I asked, "Can't I use that time to do other practices, instead? I find sometimes that if I go to the meditation cave during the Gurugita I can get a nice vibe going for meditation."
我问“难道我不能把时间用来做其他修行?我发现,有时在古鲁梵歌时间去禅坐洞,能使我对禅坐产生一种感应力。”
"Ah—Swamiji would've yelled at you for that. He would've called you a chanting thief for riding on the energy of everyone else's hard work. Look, the Gurugita isn't supposed to be a fun song to sing. It has a different function. It's a text of unimaginable power. It is a mighty purifying practice. It burns away all your junk, all your negative emotions. And I think it's probably having a positive effect on you if you're experiencing such strong emotions and physical reactions while you're chanting it. This stuff can be painful, but it's awfully beneficial."
“啊——‘思瓦米吉’会为此朝你大吼。他会说你是个吟唱贼,靠他人辛勤工作的能量前进。嘿,古鲁梵歌不该是有趣的歌。它有其他功能。它描述难以想象的动力,是一种强有力的精炼修行。它烧毁你所有的破烂,所有的负面情绪。如果你在吟唱时体验到如此强烈的情绪和生理反应,我想或许它正在对你产生正面功效。这东西可能不好受,却很有益。”
"How do you keep the motivation to stay with it?"
“该如何保持坚持下去的动机?”
"What's the alternative? To quit whenever something gets challenging? To futz around your whole life, miserable and incomplete?"
“有别种选择吗?每回遇上挑战就放弃?瞎混一生,过着悲惨、不完整的生活?”“你刚刚说‘瞎混’?”
"Did you really just say 'futz around'?" "Yes. Yes, I did."
“没错,我是这么说。”
"What should I do?"
“那我该怎么做?”
"You have to decide for yourself. But my advice—since you asked—is that you stick to chanting the Gurugita while you're here, especially because you're having such an extreme reaction to it. If something is rubbing so hard against you, you can be sure it's working on you. This is what the Gurugita does. It burns away the ego, turns you into pure ash. It's supposed to be arduous, Liz. It has power beyond what can be rationally understood. You're only staying at the Ashram another week, right? And then you're free to go traveling and have fun. So just chant the thing seven more times, then you never have to do it again. Remember what our Guru says—be a scientist of your own spiritual experience. You're not here as a tourist or a journalist; you're here as a seeker. So explore it."
“你得自己决定。但是我劝你——既然你问了我——趁待在这里的时候继续吟唱古鲁梵歌,特别是因为你对它有如此极端的反应。假如哪个东西这么用力摩擦你,八成对你奏效。古鲁梵歌正是如此。它烧毁你的自我,把你变成纯粹的灰烬。小莉,它是一条艰苦的道路,其动力超越理性所能理解。你待在道场的时间不是只剩下一个星期了吗?之后你可以随意去旅行,找乐子。所以,就请你再吟唱七天吧,之后永远不用再去碰它。记住我们的导师说过的话——研究自己的心灵经验。你不是来这里观光或报道的,你是来这里追寻的。所以就去体验吧。”
"So you're not letting me off the hook?"
“所以你不让我脱身?”
"You can let yourself off the hook anytime you want, Liz. That's the divine contract of a little something we call free will." Eat, Pray, Love
“你随时能让自己脱身,小莉。这小小的神圣条约,我们称之为‘自由意志’。”