(单词翻译:单击)
M:We're having a debate on advertising Thursday evening, and I have to take part.
男士:我们星期四晚上要进行广告辩论,我必须参加
W:That's interesting. I should like to hear what people think about advertising.
女士:这很有趣
M:What's there to say? We must have advertising, mustn't we?
男士:该怎么说呢?我们一定要做广告,是吗?
W:Why?
女士:为什么?
M:Well, we wouldn't know what there was to buy if we didn't have advertisements.
男士:如果没有广告,我们就不知道要买什么
W:Yes, that's true, up to a point. Advertisements provide information that we need.
女士:然而,在某种程度上,这是事实
W:If someone has produced a new article, naturally the seller wants to tell us about it.
女士:如果有人生产了一个新物品,卖家自然会告诉我们
M:Yes, and the advertisements tell us which product is the best.
男士:是的,广告告诉我们哪个产品是最好的
W:Do they? I don't think so. Every manufacturer says that his product is the best, or at least tries to give the impression.
女士:他们吗?我不这么想
W:Only one can be the best, so the others are misleading, aren't they?
女士:只有一个是最好的,所以其他的都是误导,不是吗?
M:Well,in a way, I suppose, but we don't have to believe them, do we?
男士:嗯,在某种程度上,我想,但我们不一定要相信他们,不是吗?
W:Are you saying that advertisements aren't effective?
女士:你是说广告没有效果吗?
W:I don't think that intelligent businessmen would spend millions of dollars on advertising if nobody believes the advertisements, do you?
女士:如果没有人相信这些广告,我不认为聪明的商人会在广告上花费数百万美元,你认为呢?
M:Perhaps not, but after all, it's their money that they're spending.
男士:也许不是,但毕竟,他们花的是自己的钱
W:Is it? I think not. The cost of advertising is added to the price of the article.
女士:是吗?我认为不是
W:You and I and all the other people who buy the article pay for the advertising.
女士:你和我以及所有其他购买这个物品的人都要为广告付费
M:Well, I suppose we get something for our money-some information.
男士:好吧,我想我们的钱可以得到——一些信息
W:Yes, but don't forget it's often misleading information,and sometimes harmful.
女士:是的,但是不要忘记它经常是误导信息,有时是有害的
M:Harmful?
男士:有害的?
W:What about advertisements designed to persuade young people to smoke cigarettes? Wouldn't you say they're harmful?
女士:说服年轻人吸烟而设计的广告怎么样?它们不是有害的吗?
M:You've given me a lot to think about. I'm quite looking forward to the debate now!
男士:你告诉我的这些信息我需要好好消化一下