(单词翻译:单击)
Last year at Christmas time my wife, three boys and I were in France on our way from Paris to Nice.
去年,在圣诞节期间,我和我的妻子以及我们的三个孩子,从法国踏上由巴黎到尼斯的旅途 。
For five wretched days everything had gone wrong.
由于接连五天的恶劣天气,旅途上一切很不顺心 。
Our hotels were tourist traps, our rented car broke down; we were all restless and irritable in the crowded car.
我们下榻的旅馆尽是些敲诈勒索旅客的陷阱;我们租用的那辆汽车老是发生故障,在拥挤不堪的车子上大家个个显得烦躁不安 。
On Christmas Eve, when we checked into a dingy hotel in Nice, there was no Christmas spirit in our hearts.
圣诞节前夕,我们住进了尼斯的一家旅店,这家旅店又脏又暗,我们打心眼里感觉不到丝毫的节日气氛 。
It was raining and cold when we went out to eat.
我们外出就餐时,天正下着小雨,天气寒冷 。
We found a drab little joint shoddily decorated for the holidays.
我们找到了一家死气沉沉的小餐馆 。
It smelled greasy. Only five tables in the restaurant were occupied.
这家餐馆刚刚做了番粗劣的装潢 。而我们一进门就闻到一股刺鼻的油污气味 。
There were two German couples, two French families and an American sailor, by himself.
整个餐厅只有五张桌子有人就餐:两对德国夫妇,两户法国家庭和一名孑然一身的美国水手 。
In the corner, a piano player listlessly played Christmas music.
在餐厅的一个角落里,有位钢琴师在无精打采地弹奏着圣诞乐曲 。
I was too stubborn and too tired and miserable to leave.
我情绪低落,加之疲惫不堪,执意不愿离开这儿去找别的餐馆了 。
I looked around the noticed that the other customers were eating in stony silence.
我环顾四周,见这里的顾客一个个沉默不语,只顾吃着、喝着,
The only person who seemed happy was the American sailor.
唯独那位美国水手看上去兴高采烈 。
While eating he was writing a letter, and a half-smile lighted his face.
他一边吃着,一边写信,面带微笑,神采奕奕 。
My wife ordered our meal in French.
我的妻子给我们叫来了法国式的饭菜,
The waiter brought us the wrong thing, I scolded my wife for being stupid.
而服务员给我们端来的却是别的东西 。我斥责妻子尽干些蠢事,
She began to cry. The boys defended her, and I felt even worse.
她哭了起来 。孩子们一个个都护着他们的妈妈,于是我的情绪变得更加糟糕 。
Then at the table with the French family, on our left,
这时坐在我们左侧餐桌上的那家法国人,
the father slapped one of the children for some minor infraction, and the boy began to cry.
父亲因为一点鸡毛蒜皮小事动手打了他一个孩子一记耳光,那个小男孩哇哇大哭起来 。
On our right, the German wife began berating her husband.
在我的右边,那个德国妇女不知因何缘故开始喋喋不休地数落、责骂起她的丈夫来 。
All of us were interrupted by an unpleasant blast of cold air.
我们大家都因为一阵令人不快的气氛而心烦意乱 。
Through the front door came an old French flower woman.
这时,从前门进来一个卖花的法国老太太 。
She wore a dripping, tattered overcoat and shuffled along slowly.
她浑身湿透,衣衫褴褛,沿桌叫卖 。
Flowers, monsieur? Only one franc. No one bought any.
买花吗,先生?一束才一个法郎哩 。谁也没有搭理她 。
Wearily she sat down at a table between the sailor and us.
她疲惫不堪,在水手和我们之间的那张餐桌旁边坐了下来,
To the waiter she said, a bowl of soup. I haven't sold a flower all afternoon.
对服务员说:请来碗汤吧 。整整一下午,我连一朵花也不曾脱手 。