(单词翻译:单击)
Jean: Hi, you're listening to Jean Dong and this is Authentic Real English. 嗨,你正在收听的是董珍为你主持的地道英语节目。
Jo: I'm Jo, and today Jean and I are talking about a very important issue. 我是乔,今天我和珍在这儿讨论一个非常重要的话题。
Jean: 是的,我们今天要谈的是一个非常重要的问题。We're talking about make-up. Make-up 面部化妆。
Jo: Yes, that's right. We're talking about how much make-up women should wear. 是的,对了。我们正在讨论女性化妆到什么程度比较好。
Jean: In the UK, lots of women wear make-up every day. 在英国,很多女人每天都要化妆。
Jo: Yes and some women wear too much make-up. 是的,有些化得太浓了。
Jean: Oh yes. 我也不喜欢有的女性脸上化太浓的 make-up.
Jo: When this happens, you might hear someone say... 如果这样的,你可能会听到有人说……
Example
She's got far too much slap on. 她的妆太浓了。
Jean: Slap! 这个人没有说 make-up 而是用的 slap 这个词。Listen again.
Jo: Yeah, sometimes you will hear someone talking about a woman with too much slap on. It's not a polite thing to say. 是的,有时你会听到有人讨论一个浓妆艳抹的女人。这么说不是很有礼貌。
Jean: 那这么说是不是太不礼貌了。
Jo: Yes, they're saying it looks bad. 是的,他们说看起来很糟糕。
Jean: 他们的意思是,浓妆艳抹的女人好像是把化妆品全部是 slapped on 拍在她们的脸上。To slap on是用来形容女人把厚厚的化妆品一股脑的都往脸上拍。Why would they say something so mean? Mean 欺负人的、苛刻的。
Jo: I don't know, they're just being mean. 我不知道,他们只是有点苛刻。
Jean: Are there any other words used like this? 还有其他的词用来表达这个意思的吗?
Jo: Well, we don't use many other words as synonyms for make-up. However we do have some interesting sayings about how someone has put their make-up on. 嗯,我们不用其他意思相近的词来形容这种情况。但是,我们有些说法是说如何化妆的。
Jean: Such as... 比如……
Example
A: Did you see Linda at the party yesterday? 昨天你在聚会上看到琳达了吗?
B: Oh yes, she looked terrible. She was caked in make-up. 哦,是的,她看上去很糟糕。她的妆太浓了。
A: When I first started wearing make-up, I had no idea how to apply it. 当我第一次开始化妆的时候,我不知道怎么用化妆品。
B: Or how much to apply. You used to trowel it on. 或者涂抹多少。你经常就只是把粉抹在脸上。
Jo: Caked in make-up.
Jean: To be caked in make-up. 就是说脸上涂的化妆品太厚了,简直就像一个抹满厚厚彩色奶油的蛋糕一样。Cake 蛋糕。
Jo: To trowel it on.
Jean: To trowel it on. 脸上的就像用泥水匠的泥铲子层层涂抹的一样。Trowel 泥铲、抹子。
Jo: So Jean, how would you describe my make-up? 所以说,珍,你会怎么描述我的妆呢?
Jean: I can't tell you're wearing make-up. 我看的出来你是花了妆的。
Jo: Good, I'm going for the natural look. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to say I had too much slap on. 好,我打算表现得自然一些。我确实不希望别人说我的妆太浓了。
Jean: Ah, Jo is going for the natural look. 素面朝天不化妆。
Jo: That's right. 对的。
Jean: Well, that's it for today. 希望大家也和我们一起好好享受了一下女孩子的一个热门话题slap我是说make-up。
Jo: Yes, and before we go, just a quick reminder that you can visit our website www.bbcchina.com.cn for more Authentic Real English programmes. 是的,节目结束之前,再次提醒一下大家可以登录我们的网站收听地道英语节目。
Jean: Until next time, bye. 下次见,再见。
Jo: Bye. 再见。