(单词翻译:单击)
William: Hello there and welcome to Authentic Real English. My name is William Kremer. 大家好,欢迎来到地道英语节目。我是威廉·克莱默。
Feifei: 大家好,我是冯菲菲。Now today...
William: Feifei, what's happening to your voice? 菲菲,你的嗓子怎么了?
Feifei: You tell me, I don't know what's happening! 你能告诉我么,我也不知道发生什么了!
William: You're just speaking gobbledegook. 你的话真是让人费解。
Feifei: I know I am but it's really difficult to... start speaking properly again. That's better! What word did you use just now? Gobblede... 我知道我在说什么,但是它非常难理解,我再说一次。这样会好懂得多!你刚刚用什么词了?
William: Gobbledegook. G.O.B.B.L.E.D.E.G.O.O.K. When someone speaks but they aren't really speaking a language and you can't understand what they're saying, we can say they're speaking gobbledegook. 当有人说你听不懂的话,但他说不真的是另一种语言时,你可以说这样的话很难解。
Feifei: Gobbledegook 是一个名词,表示完全不属于任何一种语言、谁也听不懂的说话。那么在什么样的情况下我们可以用到这个词呢 William?
William: Well, let's listen to two more examples now. 嗯,现在来听下面两个例子。
Examples
A: Have you phoned Claire yet? 你给克莱尔打电话了吗?
B: I called her just now but something was wrong with the phone. All I could hear was gobbledegook. 我刚刚给她打电话了,但是电话有时间不是很畅通。我能听到的话都很费解。
C: You were talking in your sleep again last night. 你昨晚说梦话了。
D: Really? What was I saying? 真的吗?我说什么了?
C: I don't know. It was all just gobbledegook and I couldn't understand it. 我不知道。都是让人难解的话,我不知道什么意思。
Feifei: 在我们刚听到的第一个例子中,电话的干扰使说话人的讲话完全让对方听不明白,都是 gobbledegook. 而在第二个例子中,是一个人在睡觉的时候说梦话,他的妻子听到的就是这种含含糊糊、让人听不清楚的 gobbledegook. But you know it's really odd that this microphone isn't working. It's a professional GH781 condenser microphone with a high-quality capacitor and phantom power... 但是你知道这个麦克风不工作真的很奇怪。这个专业型号电容麦克风有质量很好的电容器和幻影电源。
William: Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, Feifei! You're talking gobbledegook again. 哇,菲菲!你又在说让人难解的话了。
Feifei: 我没有啊,我是在给你详细讲解咱们用的这个麦克风的性能和型号。
William: My friend, that is gobbledegook! If you say lots of technical words that no one can understand, we can call that gobbledegook too. 我的朋友也是让人难解的!如果你能说很多没人能听懂的技术性很强的专业用语,我们也可以用这个词来形容。
Feifei: Ok, 看来,如果一个人说的是大部分人都听不懂的那种技术性很强的专业用语,我们也可以管他说的这种话叫 gobbledegook.
William: We can also call it mumbo-jumbo. 我们也能用这个词。
Feifei: Mumbo-jumbo. 今天咱们学的这两个词听起来都够有个性的!不过发音也挺难掌握得 gobbledegook and mumbo-jumbo.
William: That's right. Well, if you're listening to this and you like what you hear and want more of the same, check out www.bbcukchina.com. 对啦,嗯,如果你想知道节目的内容,还想知道更多相关的内容,你可以登录网站。