(单词翻译:单击)
Feifei: 大家好,欢迎收听由 BBC 制作的《地道英语》。我是冯菲菲。
Diarmuid:(With his mouth full) And I'm Diarmuid. (嘴里塞得满满的)我是圣保罗。
Feifei: Sorry Diarmuid. I couldn't understand what you just said. 抱歉,圣保罗。我不能理解你刚才说的。
Diarmuid:(With his mouth full) I said, "And I'm Diarmuid." 我说我是圣保罗。
Feifei: I still can't hear what you're saying. Diarmuid 嘴里塞满了吃的,我实在是不知道他在说什么。It's very bad manners to speak with your mouth full. 我还是听不到你在说什么。嘴巴里在吃东西说话很不礼貌。
Diarmuid: Sorry Feifei. I was just having a bite to eat before the programme began but I couldn't finish it in time for us to start. The food was so stodgy. 抱歉,菲菲。我只是在节目开始前嘴里的东西还没有吃完。我吃的这个东西那么油腻。
Feifei: Stodgy? What's that? Stodgy? 是什么?
Diarmuid: Stodgy is a word that we can use to describe food, and it's our word of the day. Stodgy. S.T.O.D.G.Y. 这个词可以用来形容事物,这是我们今天要说的词。
Feifei: But what does stodgy mean? 这个词是什么意思?
Diarmuid: Stodgy is the word we use to describe food that is very heavy and filling. 我们常用这个词形容食物不易消化并且很容易填满肚子的。
Feifei: 原来在英语里,可以用 stodgy 这个词来形容口感浓厚的,不易消化油腻的,但又容易填饱肚子的食物。That sounds like a lot of British food. 听起来很多英国食物都是这样的。
Diarmuid: I suppose that's true Feifei. Lots of foreign people would describe British food as stodgy. 我想那是真的,菲菲。很多外国人说英国的食物很油腻。
Feifei: 我也有同感!
Diarmuid: When you think about it, lots of British dishes are stodgy. Things like pies. 当你想起这个,很多英国食物的确是很油腻的。比如派。
Feifei: 馅饼,派。
Diarmuid: Puddings.
Feifei: 布丁,甜点。
Diarmuid: Roast dinners.
Feifei: 就是英国人周日和每逢过年过节时吃的烤肉大餐。
Example
A: Would you like some Christmas pudding? 你想来点圣诞布丁吗?
B: Not for me thanks. It's far too stodgy. 我不要,谢谢。那个太油腻了。
A: Oh, I feel so full up I can barely move. 哦,我觉得我太饱了,我都动不了了。
B: You shouldn't eat so much stodgy food at lunchtime. 你不应该在午餐的时候吃那么多油腻的东西。
A: Yes, tomorrow I'll have a salad. 是的,明天我就吃色拉。
Feifei: So do you like stodgy food, Diarmuid? 你喜欢油腻的食物吗,圣保罗?
Diarmuid: Sometimes, yes. Like the steak and kidney pie I was eating for lunch. Actually there was so much pie I couldn't finish it. Would you like some? 有时会喜欢。比如我午餐吃的牛排和腰子。事实上,派太多了,我都吃不过来。你喜欢吃吗?
Feifei: Yes please. 我饿死了!Hmmm. 是的,我喜欢。