(单词翻译:单击)
Diarmuid: Hi Jean. You look very pleased with yourself today. 珍,你好。今天你看上去心情不错。
Jean: Hi Diarmuid. I am in a very good mood today. 嗨,圣保罗。我今天的心情的确很好。
Diarmuid: Why's that then? 为什么呢?
Jean: Well, I've had some good news. 今天我在公司里得到了正式提升,还同时有了加薪呢。
Diarmuid: Really, what's happened? 真的吗,什么事让你这么开心?
Jean: I've been given a promotion and a pay rise. 我今天晋升并且薪水也涨了。
Diarmuid: Result! 好事啊!
Jean: Sorry? 什么意思?
Diarmuid: I said... result! 我说这是好事!
Jean: Result? 好事?
Diarmuid: That's right, result. R.E.S.U.L.T. That's our Authentic Real English word of the day. Result. We can use it when we get some good news. 是的。好事。这是我们今天我们要学的词。当我们听到好消息的时候可以用这个词。
Jean: Result 这个单词我倒是知道,不过这个词翻译过来的意思一般是结果或者数学里的答案。But why do we use this when we get good news? A result could be good or bad. 但是结果可能是好的,也可能是坏的啊。
Diarmuid: Very true Jean. A result could be a good result or a bad result, that's why we need to use intonation when we use this word in this way. 珍,说的非常对。一个结果可能是好的也可能是坏的,这就是为什么我们需要音调的不同来表达不同的意思。
Jean: OK 就是说,关键是我们在说这个词的时候一定要用语调来表达我们对所发生事情的欣喜感。So you need to say result with a particular intonation? 所以当你说这个词的时候要带有特别的音调?
Diarmuid: Yes, you need to say it in such a way that you sound excited and happy. Let's hear some examples: 是的,你需要用听上去很兴奋和高兴的语调来说。我们来看下面的例子:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: I just found out I've passed all my exams! 我刚刚发现我考试都过关了。
B: Result! 好事儿!
A: I know. I'm so happy! 我知道,我太高兴啦!
A: Guess what. That cute guy I like just asked me out for a date. 你知道发生了什么吗?那个可爱的家伙约我出去了。
B: Really? Result! When are you going out? 好事?好事啊!什么时候出门?
A: Friday. We're going to the cinema. 周五。我们计划去电影院。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jean: I wonder where this phrase comes from, Diarmuid. 圣保罗,我想知道这个短语是怎么来的?
Diarmuid: I'm not 100% sure but I think it could be from football. 我不是十分确信但是我认为可能是来自足球。
Jean: Football? 足球?
Diarmuid: Yes. When a football team wins a game the fans and players will sometimes describe the win as a result. 是的。当一个足球队赢得一场比赛,球迷和队员有时会用这个词描述最终赢得了比赛。
Jean: OK, so does the game of football ever give us other phrases? 好吧,那足球赛还教给我们其它的短语了吗?
Diarmuid: Yes. Another way to say result is to say back of the net! 是的。
Jean: OK, back of the net, 那就是进球的意思,那这个说法也是表达我们取得某种成功后的欣喜心情喽。
Diarmuid: Exactly. You've got it. 是的。你说对了。