(单词翻译:单击)
Diarmuid: Hi everyone. It's Diarmuid here with today's edition of Authentic Real English. And I'm joined by my co-presenter Wang Fei. 大家好,今天和你在地道英语节目见面的是圣保罗,和我一起搭档的是王飞。
Wang Fei: Hello everybody. 大家好。
Diarmuid: So Wang Fei, are you ready to record the best programme of your life? 所以王飞,你准备好人生的计划了吗?
Wang Fei: Of course. 当然。
Diarmuid: Are you keen and motivated? 你有动力吗?
Wang Fei: Yes, I am! Keen and motivated! 有热情,也有动力。
Diarmuid: Are you prepared to work as hard as you possibly can and then work a little bit more. 你准备好尽可能地努力工作然后一点点地增加吗?
Wang Fei: Diarmuid, you are really pushing me to work hard today. What's happening? 圣保罗,你是想让我今天努力工作吗。有什么事?
Diarmuid: I want you to give 110% for this programme. 我希望你做节目的时候加倍地努力。
Wang Fei: You want me to give 110%. Why? 你想让我给110%,为什么?
Diarmuid: Because that's today's Authentic Real English phrase. 因为这个表达是今天我们要学习的。
Wang Fei: Oh! 原来我们今天的地道英语新词就是 give 110%.
Diarmuid: Yes. To give 110%; can you guess what it means? 是的,付出110%;你能猜出它的意思吗?
Wang Fei: 其实,从节目一开始我就悟出来了,这个词的意思是竭尽全力把某件事做好,或不遗余力地去完成任务,达到目标。So to give 110% means try very hard. 所以说给出110%就是说要加倍努力。
Diarmuid: That's right. We use this phrase especially in the sense of trying hard at work. 是的。我们在想要表达一种努力工作的意识时用这个短语。
Wang Fei: But why it is 110% instead of 100%? Surely that means working as hard as you can. 但是为什么用110%代替100%呢?当然100%也是表达全力以赴。
Diarmuid: Indeed. But this expression means that you are going to exceed what is expected.
Wang Fei: Exceed what is expected. 超出别人对你的期望,所以就要做110%的努力,这个意思和汉语中的加倍努力很相似。
Diarmuid: Let's hear it in use. 来听它是怎么用的吧。
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: So why should we give you this job? 所以,我们为什么要给你这份工作呢?
B: I'm highly qualified and experienced, and I always give 110%. 我十分合适也很有经验,并且我会加倍努力。
A: I'm so proud of my football team. They gave 110% for the full 90 minutes. 我为我的足球队感到荣耀。他们会再90分钟里全力以赴。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wang Fei: So do you always give 110% Diarmuid? 你做什么都会全力以赴吗?
Diarmuid: Of course. 当然。
Wang Fei: Really. 真的么。
Diarmuid: Well, if I'm having a really bad day, I may only give 109%. 是的,如果我状态不好,我也会付出109%的努力。
Wang Fei: Diarmuid 最少也要付出109%的努力! What a hard worker you are! 你真是个努力的人啊!
Diarmuid: Thanks Wang Fei. Oh look, it's 5 o'clock. Time for me to go home now. 王飞谢谢。哦,看啊,现在5点了。到下班的时间了。
Wang Fei: 你看看你,可真够懒的!才5点就想下班回家了! Alright! Time to go now folks. See you soon. 好吧!是时候走了。再见。
Giving 110% to win.