(单词翻译:单击)
— Do you think you will ever work at that company again?
你认为你还会在那家公司上班吗?
— When pigs fly!
不可能!
— Do you think your brother will be successful?
你认为你兄弟会成功吗?
— When pigs fly, he will.
除非天上掉馅儿饼.
***when pigs fly:used to show that you do not believe something will ever happen (表示不相信某事会发生)太阳从西出
A:I think it was Jason who stole my document.
B:Fat chance!
A:He's the only one who left here late.
B:I know him. He'll never do that sort of thing.
A:我觉得是詹森偷了我的文件.
B:不会的.
A:他是唯一一个走得晚的人.
B:我了解他,他决不会干这种事儿.
***fat chance:(作反语用)很少可能
Were you scared? Fat chance. 你当时受惊了吗?才不呢.
The odds are heavily against him(= he is not likely to succeed). 他成功的几率很小.
***odds:the degree to which something is likely to happen (事物发生的)可能性,概率,几率,机会
注:"(胜算)几率大"怎么说?
The odds are very much in our favour(= we are likely to succeed). 我方胜算的几率极大.
This talk of moving to Australia is all just pie in the sky. 移居澳大利亚之说纯属异想天开.
***pie in the sky: an event that somebody talks about that seems very unlikely to happen 难以实现的事;幻想的事;空中楼阁