(单词翻译:单击)
What in the world are you doing here?
"what/who/why/where/when/how in the world "表示强烈的惊奇
eg: I thought you were in hongkong.What in the world are you doing here? 我以为你在香港呢,我的天你怎么在这儿???
Where in the world did you get that diamond necklace? 诶呀,你这项链是在哪儿买的呀???
Whether you like it or not.
"whether or not ""不管是不是"
eg: Whether you like it or not, Liz and I are getting married next year. 不管你喜不喜欢,我明年都要和Liz结婚.
We are going to Green Bar tonight, whether you come or not. 不管你去不去,我们今晚都要去Green Bar.
We have kind of a sticky situation.
"sticky ""难办的,很棘手,很麻烦"
eg: Annie is in love with Brian, but Brian is in love with Annie' s best friend.What a sticky situation! Annie喜欢Brian,但他却喜欢Annie最好的朋友,麻烦透了.
Gay marriage is a very sticky issue in the U.S.It may take a while for the American government to make a decision about the issue. 同性恋婚姻在美国也是个麻烦事,美国政府还得花上一段时间才能做决断.
She can' t possibly keep up with that.
"keep up ""脑子跟上趟"
eg: I can' t keep up with all his different girlfriends. 我跟不上他换不同的GF了.
I have to work hard to keep up with the speed of the class. 我得努力学习才能跟上班级进度.
Did she really say that I' m smothering her?
"smother ""让sb有压力"
eg: At school we get smothered with homework. 上学的时候我们被课业压得透不过气.
The opposition defence smothered our attackers.后卫使我们的前锋压力非常大.
Will you make a toast right now?
"make a toast " "祝酒词"
eg: At weddings the best man will always make a toast. 婚礼上一般是伴郎致祝酒词.
I think we should toast our hostess for inviting us. 我敬女主人一杯感谢她的邀请.
Get me off the hook.
"to get off the hook ""解围,摆脱麻烦"
eg: If you get caught stealing, a smile won' t get you off the hook. 如果你偷东西被抓到,微笑也不能帮你脱罪.
My boss asked me to work on Sunday, how can I get off the hook? 老板让我星期天还上班,我该怎么摆脱呢?
Perhaps a little something for the boy.
"a little something ""小意思,表示一下"
eg: I left the waitress a little something for her service. 我走的时候给了这个服务员点奖励.
If we help Mom cook dinner,maybe she' ll buy us a little something for dessert. 如果我们帮妈妈做晚饭的话,也许她会奖励我们一些小点心呢.
Count me in. 算我一个,我也参加
eg: If you guys are going out dancing, count me in, I LOVE DANCING. 你们要去跳舞的话别忘了算我一个.
Count me in for dinner, I' m starving! 晚饭我也吃,我都快饿死了.
Nothing to lose. 无所谓,没什么损失
eg: Why don' t you try out for the basketball team? You have nothing to lose. 你怎么去不试着参加篮球队?正也不损失什么.
When you are young, you can do anything, you have nothing to lose. 年轻可以做任何事,反正也不损失什么.
Moment of truth. 要摊牌了,激动人心的时刻到了
eg: It' s the moment of truth, will the judge find him innocent or guilty? 这是法官定他有罪没罪的关键时刻.
The moment of truth has arrived. My grades are in this envelope. 关键时刻到了,我的成绩单就在这个信封里.
We' re riding in high style.
"high style ""高档,昂贵"
eg: When I get a good job, we' ll be living in high style. 我找到好的工作就能过上好生活了.
Flying in First Class is riding in high style. 坐头等仓很上档次.
Here' s the deal.
"here' s the deal ""总的说来是这样的"
eg: The deal is if you don' t have ID, you can' t drink in a bar in American. 在美国你如果没有身份证就不能在酒吧喝酒.
The deal was simple: we have to wait until the three hours were up before handing in our exams and leaving. 事情很简单,我们得在这儿等上三个小时才能交卷离开.
Bring it on.
"bring it on ""给自己鼓舞士气,给自己打气"
eg: At the start of the boxing match, the boxer yelled at his opponent to bring it on. 在比赛开始前,拳击手想对手大喊是为了给自己壮胆.
When the thieg was arrested, he wasn' t nervous, he actually shouted at the policemen to bring it on. 这个小偷被逮的时候他不但不紧张反而向警察大喊给自己壮胆.
Working on it.
"working on sth ""在找解决问题的方法"
eg: Scientists are working on a cure for cancer. 科学家正在寻找治愈癌症的方法.
I' ve been working on my algebra homework all night. 我整晚都在忙我的代数作业.