(单词翻译:单击)
Believe it or not 信不信由你,你爱信不信
I've given up smoking, believe it or not.
我已经把烟给戒了,信不信由你.
That guy wearing the brown suit is our teacher, believe it or not.
那个穿灰色西装的人是我们班主任,信不信由你.
Believe it or not, it does work.
信不信由你,这确有作用.
Ready to roll?可以走了吗?
Ready to roll?(等于Are you ready to go?)意思是可以走了吗.
I got every suitcase, Ready to roll?
我的箱子都准备好了,可以走了吗?
any idea 你知不知道
在口语中,你知不知道可以说成any idea .
Excuse me, any idea what time it is?
劳驾,你知不知道几点了?
Any idea when the mall will be closed?
你知不知道那个商店几点关门?
Any idea why Lara is not here?
你知不知道劳为什么不在这?
get something under control 使......在控制下
Everything is under control.
一切尽在掌握.
We've got the fire under control.
我们已经把火控制住了.
The doctor told me she had the disease under control.
医生跟我说了病情已经被控制住了.
You should learn to keep your temper under control.
你应该学会控制自己的脾气.
get something out of control 不在控制下
We finally called the cops when things got out of control.
当事情完全失控的时候,我们给警察打了电话.
Gosh! My weight is out of control.
我体重又胖了.
bluff骗人,虚张声势
bluff意思是骗人,虚张声势.
Don't hit me! OK? I know Kong Fu. I'm not bluffing.别碰我,我会功夫,我可没骗你.
He bluffed me into believing that he was innocent. 他装模作样骗得我相信他是清白的.
Don't be afraid of him, he is just bluffing. 不要怕他,他只是唬人.
No one knew whether he was bluffing. 谁也不能断定他是不是在虚张声势吓唬人.
beat sb to the draw 比别人抢先一步,抢先某人行动
We lost the project. Rainbow Company beat us to the draw.
这个项目我们没有拿到,因为彩虹公司抢先了一步.
Mary wanted to buy that painting by Picasso, but another millionaire beat her to the draw.
玛丽想买毕加索的那幅画,不过另一个百万富翁捷足先登了.
My hands are tied 我束手无策,我无能为力
My hands are tied 的解释:我束手无策,我无能为力
A: Mr. Leroad, can I hand in my homework next time. I left it at home.
A: Leroad 先生, 我能不能下次再交作业呢? 我把功课忘在家里了.
B: All of the scores must be given to the office by Friday, so you must have your homework today. It is a school rule and there is nothing I can do. My hands are tied!.
B: 所有的分数都必须在礼拜五前交到办公室(学校), 所以你今天一定要有你的作业。这是学校的规定, 我无能为力.
"My hands are tied." 在这里并不是真正“手被绑起来”的意思, 而是指“没办法”的意思。好比电话响了, 你很忙不能接, 也可以说:"Can you get it? My hand are tied." (我很忙, 你能接一下吗?") .
I can't help you because my hands are tied.
我帮不上你,因为我权力有限.
jazz up使...有刺激性(使...有活力,使...活泼)
A: What do you think of this?
A: 你觉得这怎么样?
B: It's kind of dead. Maybe you want to add more graphics to jazz it up.
B: 有点闷。也许你可以加点图让它变得生动有趣些。
"jazz (something) up" 是使一件原本可能有点沉闷的事变得有趣些。
有人在一个冗长的会议里作些说些笑话之类的事, 企图让大家从昏迷中醒来, 就可以说"He tried to jazz the meeting up."
1. He has tried to jazz up the old car with a spot of paint and some accessories.
他设法用少许油漆和一些零件把那辆旧汽车弄得面目一新.
2. We need something to jazz up the party.
我们需要一些能活跃晚会气氛的东西(或:活动).
3. I hope you got a great DJ to jazz up your party.
我希望你有一个很好的音乐主持人,这样会使你的派对活泼起来.
Any time 不客气,有事尽管开口
A: Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
A: 谢谢你的帮忙, 我真的很感谢.
B: Any time.
B: 不用客气!
当别人向我们道谢时, 我们除了可以用"You're welcome."(不客气!)外, 还可以用"Any time.", 意思是"不用客气! 有事随时开口."的意思.这句话真的很常用.