Ride on the Trend of the Times and Enhance Solidarity and Cooperation to Embrace a Better Future
把握时代潮流 加强团结合作 共创美好未来
– Statement?at the 22nd Meeting of the Council of Heads of State of?the Shanghai Cooperation Organization
H.E. Xi Jinping, President of the People's Republic of China
Samarkand, 16 September 2022
Your Excellency President Shavkat Mirziyoyev, Colleagues,
I am delighted?to attend the meeting of the Council of Heads of State of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization?(SCO). I would like to thank?you,?President Mirziyoyev,?for your warm hospitality and thoughtful arrangements. I salute?Uzbekistan for the great job?it has done to?promote SCO cooperation in various fields?during its presidency over the past year.
Samarkand,?renowned as the pearl on the Silk Road, witnessed the glory of the ancient Silk Road, a route that?greatly boosted the flow?of goods,?spread of science?and technology, interaction?of ideas, and?integration of diverse cultures on the Eurasian continent. Indeed, the ancient Silk Road has remained a historical source of inspiration for us SCO member states as we pursue?peace and development.
This year?marks the 20th anniversary of?the SCO Charter?and 15th anniversary of the Treaty on Long-Term Good-Neighborliness, Friendship and Cooperation Between the?SCO?Member States. Over the years, guided by these two founding?documents, we have succeeded in?exploring a new path for the development of international organizations, and there is much we can draw on from?SCO's rich practices.
– Political trust.?Guided by the vision of forging enduring friendship?and peace?among the SCO member states,?we respect each other's core interests and choice of development path and support each other in achieving peace, stability, development and rejuvenation.
– Win-win cooperation.?We accommodate each other's interests, stay true?to the principle of consultation and cooperation for shared benefits, enhance synergy between our respective?development strategies, and keep to the path of win-win cooperation toward common prosperity.
– Equality between nations.?We are committed to the principle of?equality among all countries?regardless of their size,?consensus-based decision-making, and addressing issues through friendly?consultations. We reject?the practice of the strong bullying the weak or the big bullying the small.
– Openness and inclusiveness.?We stand for harmonious coexistence and mutual learning between different countries, nations and cultures,?dialogue between civilizations and?seeking common ground while shelving differences. We are ready to establish partnership and develop win-win cooperation with other countries and international organizations that share our vision.
– Equity and justice.?We are committed to?the purposes and principles of the UN Charter;?we tackle major international and regional issues on the basis of their merits, and oppose the pursuit of one's own agenda at the expense?of other countries' legitimate rights and interests.
These five points fully embody?the Shanghai Spirit, namely, mutual trust, mutual benefit, equality, consultation, respect for diversity of civilizations and pursuit of common development. It?has been shown that this spirit is the source of strength for the development of the SCO. It is?also?the fundamental guide we must continue to follow?in the years to come. We owe SCO's?remarkable success to the Shanghai Spirit. And we will continue to follow?its?guidance?as we forge?ahead.
Human society, like the natural world, has?both?sunny and rainy days?in its development. Our world today is undergoing accelerating changes unseen in a century, and?it?has entered a new phase of uncertainty?and transformation. The once-in-a-century pandemic has continued?unabated. Regional conflicts keep flaring up. The Cold War mentality and group politics are resurfacing,?so are unilateralism and protectionism. Economic globalization has encountered?headwinds.?Deficit in?peace, development, trust, and governance?has grown. Human society has reached a crossroads?and?faces?unprecedented challenges.
Under these new conditions, the SCO, as an important constructive force in international and regional affairs, should keep itself well-positioned in the face of?changing international dynamics, ride on?the trend of the times, strengthen solidarity and cooperation and build a closer SCO community with a shared future.