7. Over the past 50 years, China has made continuous contribution to improving healthcare for mankind. Actively participating in global health development, China has engaged in multi-tiered health exchanges and cooperation through multiple channels. It has provided robust international assistance on health, and has been actively involved in major international health initiatives, playing an important role in helping recipient countries with disaster response and healthcare development.
Infectious diseases pose a serious threat to human health, and represent a common challenge to the development of humanity. Following a law-based and science-based approach, China has implemented a succession of five-year plans on HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment. The quality of life of people affected by HIV/AIDS has been further improved, and social discrimination further reduced. AIDS epidemic has been kept at a low prevalence level. Thanks to years of efforts, China was officially awarded a malaria-free certification by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2021. China closely follows the Ebola epidemic in Africa and responds actively to the call of African countries. It was among the first to deliver a large amount of medical aids to the Ebola-affected countries and their neighbors, and sent a large number of disease control experts and medical professionals to work with African people and help them defeat the virus. China supports the WHO and other UN agencies in mobilizing global resources to accelerate vaccine and medicine research and development and support Africa in building up public health capacity and realizing greater development.
After COVID-19 broke out, China was the first to share with other parties COVID-related information and response experience, the first to provide other countries with large amounts of medical supplies, the first to assist developing countries with large quantities of vaccines, and the first to send medical expert teams abroad. President Xi Jinping delivered important remarks at the virtual opening of the 73rd World Health Assembly, calling on all countries to fight COVID-19 through solidarity and cooperation and build a global community of health for all.
China actively responded to the UN-initiated Global Humanitarian Response Plan, providing assistance in kind to over 150 countries and international organizations and exporting medical supplies to over 200 countries and regions. In total, it has extended to the world over 320 billion masks, 3.9 billion protective suits and 5.6 billion testing kits. China supports the Strategy to Achieve Global COVID-19 Vaccination by mid-2022 launched recently by the WHO, and has honored its commitment of making vaccines a global public good. As of mid-October 2021, China has contributed over 1.5 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines to over 100 countries and international organizations, contributing significantly to building a global immunity defence. In October 2020, China joined the WHO-led COVAX Facility, and called on multilateral financial institutions to provide inclusive financing support for developing countries in their procurement and production of vaccines. In 2021, vaccines produced by the China National Pharmaceutical Group (Sinopharm) and Sinovac were granted WHO Emergency Use Listing (EUL) and added to the COVAX Facility procurement pool in July of the same year. The two companies have concluded long-term supply agreements as well. China has decided to donate US$100 million to COVAX for vaccine distribution among developing countries. It will donate an additional 100 million doses of vaccines to fellow developing countries. China has announced support for waiving intellectual property rights on COVID-19 vaccines, and called on countries to further strengthen international cooperation on vaccine production capacity through joint research, authorized production, technology transfer and other means, and take feasible measures to improve the production capacity of developing countries.
III. China is ready to strive ahead together with all the progressive forces of the world, and advocate peace, development, equity, justice, democracy and freedom, which are the common values of humanity. China will continue to make new contributions to upholding the purposes and principles of the UN Charter, maintaining world peace, and promoting common development and human progress. It will continue to promote a new type of international relations featuring mutual respect, fairness and justice and win-win cooperation, and advance the building of a community with a shared future for mankind.
1. China will continue to be a builder of world peace. China firmly follows a path of peaceful development and will never seek hegemony, expansion or spheres of influence. It is committed to developing friendship and cooperation with all countries on the basis of the Five Principles of Peaceful Coexistence. At the same time, China will firmly defend its national interests and dignity, uphold its legitimate rights and interests, and safeguard international justice and equity. China maintains that all countries, irrespective of their size, strength and wealth, are equal members of the international community, that the development paths and social systems independently chosen by people of all countries should be respected, and that the principle of non-interference in other countries' internal affairs should be upheld. China is ready to work with countries around the world to pursue the vision of common, comprehensive, cooperative and sustainable security for the world, effectively tackle traditional and non-traditional security threats, and jointly develop a world that enjoys universal security. China will continue to support the implementation of the global ceasefire appeal by the UN Secretary-General to facilitate the ceasefire and cessation of violence by all relevant parties as soon as possible and the political settlement of hotspot issues. China resolutely opposes any unfounded threat or use of force, unilateral sanctions and long-arm jurisdiction.
China supports enhancing international cooperation on counter-terrorism and building a global united front against terrorism centered around the UN. China strongly condemns terrorism and extremism of all forms, opposes associating them with specific countries, ethnicities or religions, and stands against double standards on counter-terrorism. China calls for a holistic approach to counter-terrorism that addresses both the symptoms and root causes. Efforts are needed to facilitate the political settlement of hotspot issues, advocate mutual respect and harmonious coexistence of different civilizations and religions, and help relevant regions and countries develop their economies and improve people's lives, so as to eliminate the breeding ground of terrorism at its source.
China maintains that nuclear-weapon states should reiterate their stance that "a nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought", abandon nuclear deterrence policies based on preemptive moves, reduce the role of nuclear weapons in national security policy, stop developing and deploying global anti-ballistic missile systems, and not seek to deploy land-based intermediate-range missiles overseas, so as to promote global strategic balance and stability. In nuclear disarmament, countries should follow a step-by-step approach based on the principles of "maintaining global strategic stability" and "undiminished security for all countries". Countries with the largest nuclear arsenals have special and primary responsibilities in nuclear disarmament. They should continue to substantively slash their nuclear arsenals in a verifiable, irreversible and legally binding manner to create conditions for complete and thorough nuclear disarmament in the end.
2. China will continue to be a contributor to global development. China will work with other countries to advance the implementation of the Global Development Initiative, and stay committed to development as a priority, a people-centered approach, benefits for all, innovation-driven development, harmony between man and nature, and results-oriented actions, with a view to forging greater synergy in multilateral development cooperation and building a global community of development with a shared future. Under the framework of South-South cooperation, China will continue to do its best to help other developing countries implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
China will continue to seek greater synergy between Belt and Road cooperation and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development for greater benefits. With a focus on priority areas such as COVID-19 response, poverty alleviation, development cooperation and climate change, China will explore ways to jointly build a Health Silk Road, a Green Silk Road, a Digital Silk Road and a Silk Road of Innovation, and work with all parties for a bright future of win-win cooperation.
China supports strengthening global climate and environmental governance across the board. Countries need to follow the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities and work for a fair and equitable system of global environmental governance for win-win cooperation. They need to step up climate actions in light of their respective national circumstances and capabilities, and fully and effectively implement the Paris Agreement. China supports further efforts to protect the world's ecosystems and promote the harmony between man and nature. Countries need to implement in a balanced way the three objectives of the CBD, namely, the conservation of biological diversity, the sustainable use of its components, and the fair and equitable sharing of the benefits arising out of the utilization of genetic resources. They must, under the principles of fairness, transparency and parties-driven process, seek greater consensus, move in the same direction, and work toward a more just and equitable biodiversity governance system that embodies the best efforts of all parties.
3. China will continue to be a defender of the international order. In face of new developments and challenges, the world needs true multilateralism. China will continue to hold high the banner of multilateralism, resolutely defend the UN-centered international system, the international order underpinned by international law and the multilateral trading system with the WTO at its core, and actively participate in the reform and development of the global governance system. China stands firmly against unilateralism, protectionism, bullying acts and the practices of forming small circles and group politics. China firmly defends the right of developing countries to peaceful use of technology. It advocates launching an inclusive and transparent discussion process under the framework of the UN, and handling the relationship between non-proliferation and peaceful use in a more balanced and just manner.
4. China will continue to be a provider of public goods. It will continue to implement the major initiatives and measures that President Xi Jinping announced at the UN, work for a greater role of the China-UN Peace and Development Fund, the China-FAO South-South Cooperation Trust Fund, the Center for International Knowledge on Development, the International Research Center of Big Data for Sustainable Development Goals, the Global Innovation and Knowledge Center for Sustainable Transport, and the mechanisms of the standby force and permanent police squad for UN peacekeeping missions, among many others. It will work with the UN to accelerate the building of a global humanitarian response depot and hub and a UN Global Geospatial Knowledge and Innovation Center, and make greater contributions to the cause of world peace and development. China will honor its commitment of making vaccines a global public good, and help ensure vaccine accessibility and affordability in developing countries.
Over the past 50 years, China has held to its original aspiration for multilateralism, world peace and common development, and firmly supported the UN in playing a bigger role in international affairs. Standing at a new historical starting point, China will work tirelessly with all countries in the world for a community with a shared future for mankind!