1.You have just arrived in the city where you are going to spend two years for your master’s degree. You have a lot preparation to do before the new term stars, but you do not know how to go round the city. A friend you have newly acquainted offered you guidance and helped you through difficulties.Write a letter to express your thanks.
2.You live in a room in college which you share with another student. You find it very difficult to work there because your roommate always has friends visiting. They have parties in the room and sometimes borrows your things without asking you. Write a letter to the Accommodation Officer office at the college and ask for a new room next term. You would prefer a single room. Explain your reasons.
3. You have made an appointment with your teacher, but failed to keep it. Write a letter to your teacher to
1)apologize for your failure to keep the appointment,
2)explain your reason to your teacher, and
3)express your wish to make another appointment.
4.write a letter to request information about scholarship/Finance assistance offered by your College.
5.A friend is already attending Oxford college in the UK. You will be going to the UK next year.
Write and ask him/or her about what you should do before you go. Ask him/her about any problems he/she has had.
6.You are writing your first letter to a pen pal. Introduce yourself and tell her that you will be visiting her country during the summer vacation and suggest meeting her.
7.You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. You have had an accident and are in hospital. Write a letter to your college administration explaining why you will be absent from class for the next month. Ask for advice about how to continue your studies during this period.
You should write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write your own address.
8.You are organizing an executive event for the company you work for.
Task: Write a letter to the person in charge of a venue that you are considering for the event and ask for detailed information regarding dates, services and costs.
9. You find that your study load is too heavy. Write a letter to your college teacher explaining why you need to withdraw from two courses. Ask if it is possible to obtain a refund.
10. You are arranging a dinner party. Write a letter to your friend to invite him or her to the party. Say why you are holding it and give the necessary details.
11. You see an advertisement in the local news paper that a restaurant wants someone to be a part-time waiter or waitress in the evening. Write a letter to the manager. In your letter, you should write why you are writing, why you are suitable for the job and why you need the job.
12. You’ve just been offered a job, but you will not be able to start work on the appointed day. Write a letter to your boss explaining the problem and asking for an alternative day to start work.
13. Someone you know well is applying to a university abroad. Write a recommendation letter for him, say how you got to know him and why he is worth your recommendation.
14. Your friend is getting married and he has invited you to his wedding. However, you can't make it for a certain reason. Now write a letter to explain why.
15. You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
Assume that you wish to study in England.
Write a letter of inquiry based on your interests. Ask what kind of clubs there are at the university, and what is the procedure for joining them. You should write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write your own address.
16. A night club just opened near where you live. You are very unhappy about the situation because it disturbs the peace of the neighborhood. Write a letter to your local government official. Say who you are and explain why you are unhappy and suggest what should be done about it.
17. You stayed at your friends’ house when you participated in a business seminar in Australia. You left a file with important documents in your room.Task: Write a letter to your friend, describing the file and ask him/her to return it to you by post.
18.You have recently made a purchase from the local department store. However, when you arrived home, you found a fault with it. Write a letter to the manager, say what the product is, explain the problem and say what you'd like to be done about it.