Some people think that the development of technology has made our life more complex, and the solution is to live a simpler life without that technology.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
1. Developments of technology are causing environmental problems. Some people think the solution is for everyone to accept a simpler life, while others believe that technology can solve these problems. Discuss both views and give your opinion. (090212)
2. Technological progress in the past century has its negative effect, despite its remarkable contribution. To what extent do you agree or disagree?(100227)
3. Some people believe that the range of technology available to individuals today is increasing the gap between the poor people and the rich people, while some others say this has an opposite effect. Discuss both views and give your opinion. (090110)
4. The development of technology changes the way people connect with each other. In which way does the development of technology change the types of relationships among people? Does it have positive or negative effects on the relationships?(090808)
1. It is not necessary for students to go to school because more information is available on the Internet. Do you agree or disagree? (031122, 040131)
2. Some people believe that university students should pay all the cost of studies because university education only benefit the students themselves not the society as a whole. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
The development of modern technology has made people's life more complex, so people should choose to have a simple and easy life without using technology. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Give reasons for your answer and include relevant examples from your knowledge or experience.
The advancement of modern technology is making people's life more comfortable and at the same time less human. To those who enjoy the benefits of technology, there is no better time to be alive than now, but to others life has been increasingly complex and stressful. The issue is whether such new technological machines as computers and the Internet would be our servants forever or eventually could become our masters.
All kinds of inventions made possible by technology are designed to be the slaves of human beings, if human beings are not to be slaved by machines. Once upon a time, we were plain people, but that was before we began having relationships with technological systems. By getting involved with computerized machines, we could not help changing the way we live and the way we work, for better or for worse It can be realized that life is more complex because much of modern technology is not born to meet primary human needs, and many "unnecessary" inventions are producing negative effects on a living style that used to be relatively simple. Thus, there is an overwhelming feeling of complexity in the sense that machines act like humans and humans act like machines. Now that "intelligent" machines such as robots are widely applied to take the place of human beings because they are capable of doing many useful jobs, although making many people jobless. Those who cannot work with computers are disadvantaged and therefore helpless while the traditional skills and simple ways of life are fading away, never to return again.
Technology has turned this world into a different one full of wonders, some of them being too good to be true. For example, mobile phone is playing an important role in our social and professional lives, whereas the Internet has connected people at every corner on the planet and beyond. As a consequence, telecommuting may soon become a more common way of working as more people are doing part of their jobs from home. And so what? Actually people are no closer to feeling happy in various respects because such technological developments are destroying many basic values of simple and easy lifestyles. Computers in particular have made life less emotional since the more time people use the Internet, the less time they spend with human beings.
In sum, there are reasons to be worried about what will become of mankind as a whole facing an increasingly complex world in which they may enjoy all the conveniences of life and yet they do not feel any happier or wiser. Who knows that over-dependence on modern technology could not mean the beginning of the end of human sparks of creativity, spirit, compassion, love and understanding and other good things about a simple and easy life. In making people's lives more enjoyable but more complex, technology seems as if sending plenty of blessings from heaven as well as sending plenty of evils from hell.
IELTS Related Topics
Writing Task 2
1. Modern technology is transforming the way we work and is of benefit to our society. How far you think our social lives influenced by modern technology?
2.'Telecommuting' refers to workers doing their jobs from home for part of each week and communicating with their office using computer technology. Telecommuting is growing in many countries and is expected to be common for most office workers in the coming decades. How do you think society will be affected by the growth of telecommuting?
3. Technology is making communication easier in today's world, but at the expense of personal contact as many people choose to work at home in front of a computer screen. What dangers are there for a society which depends on computer screens rather than face-to-face contact for its main means of communication?
4. The Internet is becoming more central to our lives as it provides more information, acts as interactive entertainment and a means of voting. These functions have obvious benefits, but there are dangers involved in the control of the Internet over our lives. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
5. Advances in technology and the Internet have transformed the way we live as well as postponing the day we die. There is no better time to be alive than now. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
TOEFL: Related Topics
Test of Written English
1. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? The invention of the Internet has had negative effects on your civilization. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
2. Some people say that computers have made life more complex and stressful. What is your opinion? Used specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
3. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Technology had made the world a better place to live. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
4. Some people say that the Internet provides people with a lot of valuable information. Others think that access to so much information creates problems. Which view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
5. The 21st century has begun. What changes do you think this new century will bring? Use examples and details in your answer.