现代大学英语精读(第2版)第五册:U10 The Bluest Eye(Excerpts)(8)
日期:2020-01-03 15:38

(单词翻译:单击)

Alternately bored and frightened at home, the playground was his joy. On a day when he had been especially idle, he saw a very black girl taking a shortcut through the playground. She kept her head down as she walked. He had seen her many times before, standing alone, always alone, at recess. Nobody ever played with her. Probably, he thought, because she was ugly.
在家里他时而寂寞时而恐惧,因此操场成了他的乐园。这一天他感到特别无所事事,看见一个长得极黑的女孩儿从操场上穿过。走路时她一直低着头。他在课间见过她多次,每次都是孤零零地一人站着,没人和她一起玩。他想也许是因为她长得太丑的原因。
Now Junior called to her. "Hey! What are you doing walking through my yard?"
裘尼尔朝她喊道:“喂!你为什么在我的院子里穿行?”
The girl stopped.
女孩停住了。
Nobody can come through this yard 'less I say so.
“没有我的允许谁都不能在院子里穿行。”
This ain't your yard. It's the school's.
“这不是你家院子,是学校的。”
But I'm in charge of it.
“可是归我管。”
The girl started to walk away.
女孩准备走开。
Wait. Junior walked toward her. "You can play in it if you want to. What's your name?"
“等一下。”裘尼尔朝她走去,“如果你愿意,你可以在院子里玩。你叫什么名字?”
Pecola. I don't want to play.
“佩科拉。我不想玩。”
Come on. I'm not going to bother you.
“玩吧,我不找你麻烦。”
I got to go home.
“我得回家。”
Say, you want to see something? I got something to show you.
“对了,你想看一件东西吗?我有一样东西给你看。”
No. What is it?
“不想看。什么东西?”
Come on in my house. See, I live right there. Come on. I'll show you.
“到我家来。看见了吗?我就住在那里。来吧,我给你看。”
Show me what?
“给我看什么?”
Some kittens. We got some kittens. You can have one if you want.
“一些小猫。我家有一些小猫。如果你喜欢,你可以抱走一只。”
Real kittens?
“是真猫吗?”
Yeah. Come on.
“当然啦,来吧。”

分享到