(单词翻译:单击)
Conversation One
长对话一
Tonight, we have a very special guest.
今晚,我们请到了一位非常特别的客人
Mrs. Anna Sanchez is a three time Olympic champion and author of the new book To the Edge. Mrs Sanchez, thank you for joining us.
安娜·桑切斯夫人是三届奥运会冠军、新书《走向边缘》的作者
Thank you for having me.
谢谢你们的邀请
Let’s start with your book. What does the title To the Edge mean? What are you referring to?
让我们从你的书开始
The book is about how science and technology has helped push humans to the edge of their physical abilities.
这本书是关于科学和技术如何帮助推动人类达到身体能力的边缘(极限)
I argue that in the past 20 years we have had the best athletes the world has ever seen.
我认为,在过去20年里,我们出现了世界上有史以来最好的运动员
But is this a fair comparison? How do you know, how, say, a football player from 50 years ago would compare to one today?
但这样的比较公平吗?你怎么知道,一个50年前的足球运动员和今天的足球运动员是怎么比较的呢?
Well, you are right. That comparison would be perhaps impossible to make.
嗯,你说得对
But the point is more about our knowledge today of human biochemistry, nutrition and mechanics.
但它的重点更多是关于我们今天的人类生物化学、营养和力学知识
I believe that while our bodies have not changed in thousands of years, what has changed is the scientific knowledge.
我相信,虽然我们的身体几千年来没有改变,但科学知识改变了
This has allowed athletes to push the limits of what was previously thought possible.
这使得运动员能够突破之前人们所认为的极限
That’s interesting. Please tell us more about these perceived limits.
这很有趣
The world has seen sports records being broken that could only be broken with the aid of technology,
世界已经见证了只有借助科技才能打破的体育记录,
whether this be the speed of a tennis serve or the fastest time in 100 meter dash or 200 meter swimming race.
无论是网球的发球速度,还是100米短跑或200米游泳比赛的最快速度
Is there any concern that technology is giving some athletes an unfair advantage over others?
有没有人担心技术会给一些运动员带来不公平的优势?
That is an interesting question and one that has to be considered very carefully.
这是一个有趣的问题,也是一个需要仔细考虑的问题
Skis, for example, went from being made of wood to a metal alloy, which allows for better control and faster speed.
例如,滑雪板从木制变成了金属合金,这样可以更好的控制并有更快的速度
There is no stopping technological progress.
技术进步不会停止
But, as I said, each situation should be considered carefully on a case by case basis.
但是,正如我所说的,每种情况都应该根据具体情况仔细考虑
1. What do we learn about Anna Sanchez?
1. 关于安娜·桑切斯我们了解到什么?
2. What is the woman’s book mainly about?
2. 这位女士的书主要讲了什么内容?
3. What has changed in the past thousands of years?
3.在过去的几千年里什么发生了变化?
4. What is the man’s concern about the use of technology in sports competitions?
4. 关于在体育比赛中使用科技,男士担心什么?