(单词翻译:单击)
Conversation One
对话一
W: You're going to give a short speech of thanks for the speaker this evening, aren't you, Bill?
比尔,你今晚要为演讲者致感谢词,对吗?
M: Yes.
没错 。
W: You don't sound very enthusiastic.
你听起来兴致不高 。
It's not that bad, is it?
没那么糟,不是吗?
M: No, I don't mind really.
不,我不介意 。
But I can never forget the first speech of thanks I did.
但我永远忘不了第一次致感谢词的经历 。
W: Why? What happened?
为什么?发生了什么?
M: Well, I was in my early twenties.
好吧,我那时才二十小几岁 。
I joined the local history society.
我加入了当地历史学会 。
W: Yes.
然后呢 。
M: Anyway, I went along to a lecture by a Miss Bligh.
总之,我去了布莱小姐的演讲 。
W: Oh. Do go on.
继续说 。
M: She was going to talk with slides about our town amid eighteenth century.
她要用幻灯片讲我们镇子十八世纪的事儿 。
She'd just published a book on the subject, which was reckoned to be quite good.
关于这个话题她当时刚出版了一本书,反响不错 。
So I went along.
所以我去了 。
When I arrived, the secretary asked me if I could give the speech of thanks.
到那儿时,秘书问我能否致感谢词 。
Rather stupidly, I said yes.
太蠢了,我答应了 。
W: We've all done it.
我们都干过 。
M: Anyway, from that point on, I was scared.
总之,从那一刻起,我很害怕 。
What should I say?
我该说些什么?
I decided to make notes during the lecture and refer to interesting parts and thank her on behalf of the society.
我决定演讲过程中做些笔记,谈一些有趣的部分,再代表学会感谢她 。
In fact, by the time Miss Bligh stood up to talk, I was feeling much better.
事实上,布莱小姐起身演讲时,我感觉好多了 。
But she was so nervous that she kept forgetting what to say, and she spoke almost in a whisper.
但她太紧张了,一直忘词,讲话声音也太小了 。
People at the back kept calling out "we can't hear."
后排观众一直喊着"我们听不到" 。
It was embarrassing.
太尴尬了 。
W: I can imagine it.
我能想象得出来 。
M: At least the slides were good, that is, until the bulb in the projector blew.
至少幻灯片还不错,直到投影仪的灯泡爆了 。
And she had to finish the talk with no illustrations.
然后她得在没图片的情况下讲完 。
W: So what did you say in your speech of thanks?
所以你感谢词都说了些什么?
M: What can you say?
你还能说什么呢?
You have to be polite.
你得礼貌 。
I mentioned the interesting facts, referred to the excellent slides, and then finished up by saying "we'd all like to thank Miss Bligh for blowing out her slides."
我谈了些有趣的事实,谈到了幻灯片很棒,然后结束时说了"我们都很感谢布莱小姐吹炸了幻灯片" 。
W: Oh, no.
哦,不 。
M: I felt terrible.
我感觉糟透了 。
I tried to apologize, not very successfully.
我试着道歉,但效果不好 。
W: And the speech of thanks this evening?
那么今晚的感谢词呢?
M: I'll write down exactly what I'm going to say and read it carefully.
我会完全写下要说的话,然后仔细读出来 。
Questions 1 to 4 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
请根据你刚刚听到的对话回答问题1至问题4 。
1. What is the man asked to do this evening?
问题1:男士被要求今晚做什么?
2. What do we learn about the man?
问题2:关于男士,我们知道了些什么?
3. What does the man say about Miss Bligh?
问题3:男士关于布莱小姐说了些什么?
4. What does the man say about the first time he gave a speech of thanks?
问题4:男士关于第一次致感谢词说了些什么?