BEC中级真题第1辑精听:Test3-Part Three(1)
日期:2019-11-03 14:12

(单词翻译:单击)

Woman: Good morning, Richard.
早上好,理查德。
Now, in 1994 you were a computer science graduate with a good job working for an investment company ... and then you started Bookstore. Why?
1994年,你以一个计算机科学专业学生的身份毕业了,当时你在一家投资公司有一份不错的工作……然后你开了Bookstore公司。为什么呢?
Man: Well, I was thirty and settled at work, but then I came across a report predicting annual internet growth at 2,300%.
嗯,我当时30岁了,工作稳定,但我看到了一份报告,上面预测互联网行业年度增长将达到2300%。
The figure was like an alarm clock ringing in my head.
这个数字像一个警钟一样在我脑海中回荡。
I started to think about the regrets I might have at eighty.
我开始思考,自己可能会在80岁时抱有什么悔恨。
I realised I probably wouldn't even remember the things that seemed important in my thirties (like getting my end-of-year pay bonus.
我意识到,我可能都不记得自己30多岁时觉得很重要的东西,比如得到了年终奖。
But I'd definitely tell myself I'd been a fool to ignore the internet.
但我绝对会告诉自己,忽视互联网是一个多么愚蠢的行为。
Woman: How did you go about choosing a product?
你是如何着手选择产品的呢?
Man: Well, I drew up a list of twenty products, from clothes to gardening tools, and from that I got a shortlist of five, and then I assessed them.
我列了一份清单,上面有服装、园艺工具等20个产品,然后我又从这份清单里最终选定了5个产品,并对它们进行评估。
I thought about market growth in different countries and I also did some research into suppliers.
我想到了不同国家的市场增长,还对不同的供应商进行了研究。
But there were other important factors as well.
但还有其他重要因素。
I wanted a product that didn't retail for too high a figure.
我想要一个零售价不太高的产品。
I thought that since many people would be buying from the internet for the first time, they might be afraid to take a risk with large amounts of money.
我认为,许多人是第一次在网上买东西,因此他们可能担心花大量的钱会有风险。
Woman: And what made you decide on books?
是什么让你决定选择图书行业的?
Man: Well, basically, I found out that books had an eighty-two billion dollar market world-wide.
基本上,我发现,全球图书行业的市场规模达到了820亿美元。
There's also a high demand for CDs - a product I nearly went for - but with books there's a much wider choice.
CD光盘的需求也很高——我几乎都要选择这个产品了——但图书能给我更多的选择。
There're 3 million items in the book category, but only 300,000 in CDs.
图书类别中有300万款产品,而CD光盘只有30万。
This choice meant the capabilities of the computer - in organisation and selection - could be put to good use.
这个选择意味着计算机的本领——在组织和选择上的本领——可以被好好利用。

分享到
重点单词
  • ignorevt. 不顾,不理,忽视
  • bonusn. 奖金,红利
  • figuren. 图形,数字,形状; 人物,外形,体型 v. 演算,
  • retailn. 零售 vt. 零售,传述 adv. 以零售形式
  • settledadj. 固定的;稳定的 v. 解决;定居(settle
  • categoryn. 种类,类别