(单词翻译:单击)
Ooh, that's a good one!
哦,那是一个好问题!
Hey, everyone! Sometimes, you guys send us some really great questions about science.
嘿,大家好!有时候,你们会给我们发来一些关于科学的很棒的问题。
I agree! They are all so interesting!
我同意!他们都很有趣!
Why don’t we answer some of them today, Squeaks?
吱吱,我们今天为什么不回答其中的一些问题呢?
Great. This is going to be so much fun. Let’s start with this one!
太好了。这会很有趣的。让我们从这个问题开始吧!
Emma, age 5, asks: Where does sand come from?
5岁的艾玛问:沙子从哪里来?
Well, yes, we did go to the hardware store that one time to buy sand for our sandbox.
是的,有时候我们会去五金店为我们的沙坑买沙子。
But they didn’t make the sand!
但是他们不制造沙子!
Nope! Sand comes from the natural world.
不! 沙子来自自然界。
Most sand is just teeny, tiny pieces of rock.
大多数沙子都是非常非常小的岩石碎片。
Rocks get broken down by things like wind and water into tiny pieces, and those tiny pieces become sand.
岩石被风和水等东西分解成小块,这些小块就变成了沙子。
You’re going to run out of breath before you turn that rock into sand, Squeaks!
吱吱,在你把石头变成沙子之前,你会上气不接下气的!
Rocks might seem like they’re a lot stronger than your breath, or even a strong wind, or a flowing stream.
岩石似乎比你的呼吸,甚至强风或流动的小溪都要强大得多。
And if we tried to break down a rock into sand by blowing on it, or holding it under the sink, that probably wouldn’t work.
如果我们想把石头吹成沙子,或者把它放在水槽下面,那可能是行不通的。
It takes a very long time, and a lot of wind and water, to break rocks into such tiny pieces.
要花很长时间、耗费大量的风和水,才能把岩石打碎成如此小的碎片。
But just imagine a sandy beach.
但是想象一下沙滩。
What do you think of when you imagine the beach?
当你想象海滩的时候,你会想到什么?
I think of the crashing waves.
我想起了海浪的冲击。
That’s a lot of water moving around, and it never, ever stops!
有很多水在流动,而且永远不会停止!
Over a very long time, like many many years, lots and lots of wind or water moving around eventually breaks rocks down all the way into sand so we can play in our sandbox, or build sandcastles at the beach!
经过很长一段时间,许多许多年以后,大量的风或水四处流动,最终把岩石打碎成沙子,所以我们可以在我们的沙坑里玩,或在海滩上建造沙堡!
That was a great question about something that happens in nature.
这是一个关于自然界发生的事情的好问题。
But we can learn about things that people do, too.
但我们也可以了解人们做的事情。
Things like how we can make computers work.
比如我们如何让电脑工作。
How about we answer this one next, Squeaks?
吱吱,下面我们来回答这个问题吧?
Greyson, age 6, asks: What is coding?
6岁的格雷森问道:什么是编码?
This is a great question! I love learning all about coding.
这是一个好问题!我喜欢学习编程。
You’re probably watching this video right now on a computer, or a phone, or a tablet.
你现在可能正在电脑上, 或者手机上,或者平板电脑上看这个视频。
And a lot of people had to work together to make that computer or phone work the way it does.
很多人必须一起工作,才能让电脑或电话正常工作。
Some people built the computer in a factory.
有些人在工厂里制造电脑。
But that’s not all it takes to make a computer!
但这并不是制造一台电脑所需的全部!
Computers need lots of special instructions to follow in order to do the things we want.
为了做我们想做的事情,计算机需要许多特殊的指令来遵循。
For example, the device you’re using to watch this right now needs the right instructions to play a video.
例如,你现在用来观看这个视频的设备需要正确的指令来播放视频。
It needs lots of instructions.
需要很多指令。
To go on the Internet, go shopping, play games… we have to teach the computer how to do all of those things.
为了上网、购物、玩游戏,我们必须教会计算机如何做所有这些事情。
Exactly! People write those special instructions for computers to follow.
正是这样!人们编写这些特殊的指令让电脑遵循。
But computers don’t understand the way humans talk.
但是电脑不懂人类说话的方式。
So if we wrote out instructions like the ones in a cookbook, they wouldn’t make sense to a computer!
所以,如果我们像烹饪书中那样写出指令,那样对计算机来说没有意义!
Instead, we use a special language computers can understand.
相反,我们使用一种计算机可以理解的特殊语言。
It’s called computer code.
这叫做计算机代码。
Learning that special language, and using it to write instructions for computers, is called coding!
学习这种特殊的语言,并用它来为计算机编写指令,这就是编程!
Do you remember the time we built a robot that raised a flag over the Fort?
你还记得那次我们造了个机器人在沃斯堡上空升起一面旗帜吗?
I taught a computer when to raise the flag. That was coding!
我教电脑什么时候升国旗。这就是编码!
It is a really cool thing to learn! You can teach computers to do all kinds of things!
这真的是一件很酷的事情!你可以教电脑做各种各样的事情!
What would you teach a computer how to do, if you learned coding?
如果你学了编码,你会教电脑做什么?
That’s a great idea! I like to learn all about animals.
真是个好主意!我喜欢了解关于动物的一切。
So maybe I would use a computer to help me study them.
所以也许我会用电脑来帮助我研究动物。
Oh, that reminds me of this next question!
哦,这让我想起了下一个问题!
Rhys, age 7, asks: Do butterflies sleep?
7岁的里斯问:蝴蝶睡觉吗?
Hi, Rhys! I really love this question, because do you know what?
嗨,里斯!我很喜欢这个问题,因为你知道吗?
We don’t really know!
我们真的不知道!
I know, Squeaks! I’m surprised too!
我知道,吱吱! 我也很惊讶!
Scientists who study insects, the group that butterflies are a part of, are still learning about how they sleep.
研究昆虫(蝴蝶是昆虫中的一员)的科学家们仍在研究它们是如何睡眠的。
The insect group includes butterflies, bees, flies, ants, and many other creatures!
昆虫类包括蝴蝶、蜜蜂、苍蝇、蚂蚁和许多其他生物!
We know that butterflies rest sometimes.
我们知道蝴蝶有时会休息。
Most butterflies are active during the day, but rest at night.
大多数蝴蝶在白天活动,晚上休息。
But nobody really speaks butterfly…
但是没有人真的会说蝴蝶语……
Oh, you don’t speak butterfly do you, Squeaks?
哦,吱吱,你不会说蝴蝶语,是吗?
No, me either.
不会,我也是。
So we can’t just ask them if they feel like they got a good night’s rest, or had sweet dreams!
所以我们无法询问蝴蝶晚上是否睡得好,或是否做了个好梦!
We don’t know if they are really sleeping when they rest, and if it feels the same way to them as sleeping does to you and me.
我们不知道他们休息时是否真的在睡觉,也不知道他们的感觉是否和你我的感觉一样。
Scientists who study other insects, like bees and fruit flies, look for signs that they might be sleeping.
研究其他昆虫的科学家,如蜜蜂和果蝇,寻找它们可能在睡觉的迹象。
They might stop moving and curl up to rest, just like you curl up in bed.
它们可能会停止移动,蜷缩起来休息,就像你蜷缩在床上一样。
And they can still wake up easily, like you do if you hear a loud noise.
它们仍然可以很容易醒来,就像你听到很大的噪音时一样。
Other scientists look at their brains, since human brains do different things when we sleep than when we’re awake.
其他科学家研究了他们的大脑,因为人类大脑在睡眠时和清醒时的活动是不同的。
Like dreaming, for example!
比如做梦!
So scientists are still hard at work learning about whether insects sleep.
因此,科学家们仍在努力研究昆虫是否睡觉。
Isn’t that great, Squeaks? There’s so much more to learn!
吱吱,那不是很棒吗? 还有很多东西要学!
Thanks for asking, Rhys!
谢谢你提出的问题,里斯!
Maybe you’ll be the first insect scientist to learn about butterfly sleep!
也许你会是第一个了解蝴蝶睡眠的昆虫科学家!
Thank you to everyone who sent us questions today!
感谢今天给我们发来问题的每个人!
You can ask a grownup to help you send your questions to us.
你可以找家长帮你把问题发给我们。
They can get started at patreon.com/scishowkids.
他们可以从patreon.com/scishowkids网址发给我们。
We'll see you next time, here at the Fort!
我们下期见,沃斯堡见!
